Looking to buy a TJ

Patrick P.

Hopefully I will be looking to buy my first TJ in the next month or two. Are there certain years that better than others. Not looking for anything heavy modified. Stock with maybe a lift kit would be fine.

Patrick! Welcome to the forum!

First off, I'd like to tell you that your decision to purchase a TJ is indeed a wise decision. I probably don't have to tell you that the TJ Wranglers, particularly the TJ/LJ Rubicon, are believed by many to be the very best out of the box Wranglers ever built.

With that said, as with almost any make/model, the final years of the line are typically the best in terms of kinks being worked out and reliability. I am very fond of the 2004-2006's. I believe 2005 and 2006 had the best transmissions, either a 5 speed automatic or a 6 speed manual. If I remember correctly the earlier years had a four speed auto and a 5 speed manual. I have heard several complaints about highway drives with the earlier automatics due to higher RPM's.

I spent months, almost a year, until I found exactly what I wanted - which was based off of a lot of research and also having previously owned a TJ.

I landed a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with only 70k miles for the low price of approximately $15,000. No wrecks, stock, and in great shape. I'm sorry to say you probably won't find a deal that good. I've seen a few very similar to mine sell for close to $20,000 and some with exceptionally low miles selling for around $25,000 (give or take a thousand).

I went with the 2006 Unlimited Rubicon, well, because I believe it to be the best. Not all that many were made so I predict it will end up going up in value as long as I keep her in the near showroom condition she's already in. The Unlimited has ample room in the back for groceries and when you fold the rear seat up you can actually move small furniture with it! I used it to deliver home my 65" flat screen TV and I even moved a recliner with it. The standard TJ is still very nice and folding the rear seat provides plenty of room - I just needed the extra space since it's my daily driver and I've got kiddos.

I hope I was able to at least kind of answer your question.

I can tell you that after having owned many exotic European sports cars and Italian motorcycles, none of them come close to bringing me the joy that my LJ Rubicon does!

4801e1d25d1dec6701f304bdaf622bdd.jpg

Reactions: Chris
If you have the 42RLE and re-gear it to 4.88 with 33" tires it totally transforms the vehicle and makes the auto so much better.