Looking to fill the fender flares with new tires

Cjames44

So I'm looking to put a 16" tire on my Unlimited that is wider than the 245/75R16. I'm looking at a 275/70R16. I have a 2" lift with wider fender flares than stock. I'm just looking to fill out the space. Ideas?

20200828_123319.jpg

Stock Rubicon flares are perfect for that tire. 6" makes them look like a JK unless you have really wide tires and a good bit of offset.

I actually run the smaller stock TJ flare on my Rubi ...it was an order mistake I ended up liking.

My bold text just disappeared. Now it's smaller, like your flares need to be.

You can add wheel spacers also, just watch lug depth.

Bigger tires can lead to lots of changes and trade offs. Not a sin, just a fact ...at some point they do at least.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Here are 285mm wide tires under my Sahara fenders which I believe are the same width as Rubicon flares. These fill out my fenders almost perfectly in my opinion.
1598745042022.png

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Finally someone has something helpful to say. What size are those?
The tires are 285/70R17 on JK 17"x7.5" wheels with 1.25" spacer/adapters
I believe the JK wheels have a stock backspacing of 6" but with the 1.25" adapters it gives them an effective backspace of 4.75

Wow, didn't realize JK wheels on 285s with 1.25 spacers would work without rubbing. I have 1.25 spacers now and assumed I would need new ones with JK/JL takeoffs.

Wow, didn't realize JK wheels on 285s with 1.25 spacers would work without rubbing. I have 1.25 spacers now and assumed I would need new ones with JK/JL takeoffs.

To be fair, I haven't been in a position to really stretch my Jeep's legs after the swap. I might need a little steering stop adjustment for day to day driving but nothing major. Not sure how it will perform under heavy articulation. My 35s with 3.75" of backspace would rub my sway bar and control arms pretty hard under articulation so I'm not sure if you can always completely avoid that in those scenarios.