Looking to lower from 4 to 2 inches. Tire size advice needed

Hockey916

I’m planning to lower my 98 tj se and run 31 inch tires. My 33s are near the end of their life. I was thinking of running the 31s with the 4 inch lift until I can afford a new lift. Anyone have pics or run 31x10.5r15 on a 4 inch lift? Does it look funny? Any problems putting a 31 on a stock tailgate?

It'll look funny with 31's and a 4 inch lift. But if you plan to run that until you get a new lift, who cares? As far as a 31" tire on the stock tailgate, it'll fit, you may have to space it out with washers on the tire carrier if you are running the stock tire mount, depending on how it needs to hit the tailgate snubbers. Also, some have issues with a 31 hitting the third brake light, but that can be put up higher with a spacer.

Do you have a 33" spare now?

Thanks. I’m not sure how long it will take me to get the new lift, so I was curious about the looks. But you are right, who cares:). I currently have no spare but definitely wanted to get one. I still have my stock carrier and brake lights so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Mine is similar in ratio to 31" tires with a 4" lift - I'm actually on 32" tires on a 4.25" lift (3" spring + 1.25" body).

Everyone says it looks silly - I think jeeps look silly period so I don't really care... in fact I have some long horns that are going to be placed on my hood very soon - so that will make it look even sillier haha. I have 32" tires on now as a bridge until I wear them out and buy some used ~34" tires. I'm trying not to do what I did with my JK and dump $1000+ on tires (I got these wheels AND 75% tread-life left 255/75/17 tires separately on craigslist and had them mounted all for under $400!).

Mine is similar in ratio to 31" tires with a 4" lift - I'm actually on 32" tires on a 4.25" lift (3" spring + 1.25" body).

Everyone says it looks silly - I think jeeps look silly period so I don't really care... in fact I have some long horns that are going to be placed on my hood very soon - so that will make it look even sillier haha. I have 32" tires on now as a bridge until I wear them out and buy some used ~34" tires. I'm trying not to do what I did with my JK and dump $1000+ on tires (I got these wheels AND 75% tread-life left 255/75/17 tires separately on craigslist and had them mounted all for under $400!).

View attachment 83221
Thanks I appreciate it!