Michigan Looking to plan an overland trip to the Upper Peninsula

South of the Huron Mountains, between Skanee and Big Bay has a lot of timber company land which is open for public use. Lots of two tracks and I don’t think you need a permit.

I'm originally from Cedarville, and the wife is from Hessel. And like PJOJeep, we still go back in the summers to visit family. Not sure the age of your son, but there are a lot of neat places across the Yoop. Tahquamenon Falls (nice campground). If you come across southern UP you have Lake Kitch-iti-kipi Link with the Hiawatha National Forest to the north. Soo Locks is a great visit if you come across north UP. If you make it up to Munising, Pictured Rocks is a nice stop.
Make sure you stop for a pasty and a Vernors and meet some of the awesome Yoopers.
Not sure about cell service. Unless things have changed, they are not something to rely on. If you have a GPS I'd def use it. Along with VVmapping.

Here is another link that might help with some trails.
www.fishweb.com

Enjoy and let us know how it goes. The family and I will be back in the UP end of June thru the Fourth.
Around the Shingleton area, southeast of Munising on 94, were some nice easy trails for ORVs and ATVs and a really cool large open clearing where you could really open up. There was a mild hill there also. I'll try to see if any of the family remember exactly where it was located at. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of that area😕 View attachment 132889
Looks like my Jeep but with half doors, looks fun. I will try to research the area. Thank you.

South of the Huron Mountains, between Skanee and Big Bay has a lot of timber company land which is open for public use. Lots of two tracks and I don’t think you need a permit.
Small world...my parents live in Big Bay! I’ve spent lots of time of those old two tracks, even took the snow mobile trial across from the AAA to Swanee, that was a rough ride!

Small world...my parents live in Big Bay! I’ve spent lots of time of those old two tracks, even took the snow mobile trial across from the AAA to Swanee, that was a rough ride!
I used to deer hunt up there, about 5 miles south of Big Erics bridge and down by Herman. I had cousins in L'anse.