Looking to replace stock headlight bulbs

schabj3

Looking for suggestions on easy plug/play bulbs. Don’t want to mess with any extra wiring, mainly just want more light output than stock.

Kind of indifferent on color temperature.

Is LED my best option? Or something else?

Thanks!!

I found a great set of 7" round LED lights on Amazon a few years ago for under $75.
The light output is literally 10,000 times better than the shitty sealed beam lamps that were in there.
If you happen across a set from Sunpie (also available on Amazon), I have them on my Harley and they are the absolute best value in aftermarket LED lighting available.

I found a great set of 7" round LED lights on Amazon a few years ago for under $75.
The light output is literally 10,000 times better than the shitty sealed beam lamps that were in there.
If you happen across a set from Sunpie (also available on Amazon), I have them on my Harley and they are the absolute best value in aftermarket LED lighting available.
So maybe I’m unaware but can I not take out the bulbs and easily replace them? What does it mean that they’re sealed?

So maybe I’m unaware but can I not take out the bulbs and easily replace them? What does it mean that they’re sealed?

Sealed means the bulb and lens are one piece. Can’t replace one without the other.

It seems from your comment that you are aware that a lot of the trouble with factory style headlights or even higher quality sealed beam units (Sylvania Silverstars are great) is due the voltage drop in the factory harness.

I am sure you have your reasons as to why you ruled it out but ordering and installing one only takes a few minutes. They are truly plug and play and don’t require any cutting or splicing of the factory harness.

I have had one on my Jeep for years and just added one to a 1970 Nova huge improvement.

Last edited:
I wanted anything other than LEDs so I went with these:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/hella-vision-plus-7-inch-round-H4-conversion-headlight-002395301

They were easy to install. Remove the headlight bezels, unplug and remove the old lights, mount these, plug them in, adjust to proper alignment, reinstall trim rings. Done.

I like how they look just like stock, have replaceable lamps, use the existing harness connections, and are DOT approved.

Swapping my headlights was the first thing I did after I bought my Jeep and did one trip which required headlights. The sealed beam lights were horrible. These (for me) are awesome.

Reactions: bucky and joelachr
I've had two sets of the LEDs and replaced both. I now have the Koito Toyoto kit linked to above and am finally happy.

You can do a simple plug and play of the housings in the kit with the included bulb. Take your stock sealed headlights out, install these and plug them into the stock harness. It's a one out of five wrench job. Though I never ran the stock sealed beams, the feedback here is that the H4 is a huge step up in pattern and output.

The kit comes with an upgraded harness that allows for a higher wattage 100/80 H4 bulb, which is what I am using. Improvement is measurable.

Real happy with these. They are a perfect match to the Hella H3s in the 500FF driving lights and offer period correct aesthetics.

Reactions: SSTJ
Going from sealed beams to the H4 was definitely the way to go years ago before LED headlights were an option; I did this on a couple of Porsche 911's back in the day & the results were remarkable. Expensive as hell, but remarkably better output.
The only advantage that I can think of w/ an H4 upgrade over LED today would be the advantage of glass over a plastic lens w/ respect to the typical discoloration caused by UV.
Given that the LED sets are so affordable these days, it doesn't really impact my decision if I have to replace them in 10 years.

Going from sealed beams to the H4 was definitely the way to go years ago before LED headlights were an option; I did this on a couple of Porsche 911's back in the day & the results were remarkable. Expensive as hell, but remarkably better output.
The only advantage that I can think of w/ an H4 upgrade over LED today would be the advantage of glass over a plastic lens w/ respect to the typical discoloration caused by UV.
Given that the LED sets are so affordable these days, it doesn't really impact my decision if I have to replace them in 10 years.

Here in the NE the heat generated by the H4s helps keep the glass headlights free of ice and snow. Not 100% but certainly better than the anemic level of heat generated by the LEDs.

Reactions: Head Lice
Looking for suggestions on easy plug/play bulbs. Don’t want to mess with any extra wiring, mainly just want more light output than stock.
Lot's of options, what's your budget?
You can find JK lights for free. All you would need is some adapter plugs.
This also gives you more options for upgrading the bulbs because they're not sealed like the TJ.
Next would be the Toyota lights. Etc., etc.

Reactions: Nivek
The toyota lights above are definitely worth the price and are plug and play. Hard to beat the cost.

Kevin
And you can upgrade the bulbs w/o removing the entire headlight assembly, correct? Pull the bezel and the headlight, swap bulbs.

Here in the NE the heat generated by the H4s helps keep the glass headlights free of ice and snow. Not 100% but certainly better than the anemic level of heat generated by the LEDs.
Heat is actually the nemesis of LED's and they generate a ton of it. The main difference between the LED headlights and the H4's (or any other incandescent bulb) is that the LED lights dissipate the heat through the case/heatsink, resulting in a lower temps on the lens.

Reactions: MikekiM
And you can upgrade the bulbs w/o removing the entire headlight assembly, correct? Pull the bezel and the headlight, swap bulbs.
Not even... reach behind the housing, remove the rubber boot, remove the plug and unclip the bulb. Insert new bulb and reverse teh steps.

That said, while I can reach the passenger side, I can't get my hand in behind the drivers size. My hands are too big.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Heat is actually the nemesis of LED's and they generate a ton of it. The main difference between the LED headlights and the H4's (or any other incandescent bulb) is that the LED lights dissipate the heat through the case/heatsink, resulting in a lower temps on the lens.
I'll agree to this... The last set of LEDs I took out had massive heat sinks and cooling fins.
End result is the same. Frozen headlights.. but now with plastic lenses that I would be afraid to clear with a scraper for fear of scratching them.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
@MikeM @WestCoastDan
The JK I bought (from a longtime friend) has had LEDs on it for over five years and there's never been an issue with frozen headlights. Now entering my second winter with it, and no freeze has resulted in less than stellar lighting.

Guess it depends on where you're at but here in the Northeast, New Jersey to be precise, I gets pretty damn effing cold and things freeze during the winter.

Reactions: MikeM
I got some Hella with built in fans. Used e for 25 bucks. Works great. I can almost see through my neighbor's house when I head off to crawl some malls at 4am