California Looking to swap 42RLE automatic with manual transmission

TristanDoc

I know it’s one hell of a job but... I’m just so tempted. I bought my Jeep a couple of years ago and it’s been joy/misery restoring every inch of the thing. Sort of a barn find that had 35,000 miles on the original motor when I first bought it in 2020 (no rust!). I’ve since had damn near everything on the car serviced and brought up to speed.

Here’s my dilemma: I’ve been itching for a manual transmission ever since. Even had my automatic serviced not more than six months ago! So if there’s someone out there who has a solid manual transmission they’d be willing to completely swap for in the Southern Orange County area, let’s talk and see if this idea is crazy enough to work

I am at the process of this swap. Mine is 32rh, as you see my location i cant afford shipping cost of new torque converter and "tuned" valve body, previously before war the shipping cast was 1kg=15usd now its skyhigh. If you buy used manual from junkyard make it 10000000000% sure that seller gives all the bolts with it. 32rh bellhousing to block bolts are shorter than ax15 and nobody wants to sell them seperately to me here, i am going to check the last place who said to bring 32rh bolts as an example

You ought to ask @mrblaine if he's interested.

He's always doing transmission swaps and from what I understand most of them seem to be guys who have manuals who want to get rid of them for automatics.

You ought to ask @mrblaine if he's interested.

He's always doing transmission swaps and from what I understand most of them seem to be guys who have manuals who want to get rid of them for automatics.
The only complete set up I have will be going into an 04 TJ Unlimited to make it more unique than normal since they only came with the auto.

I will be glad to put the word out and see if anyone is interested though.

I know it’s one hell of a job but... I’m just so tempted. I bought my Jeep a couple of years ago and it’s been joy/misery restoring every inch of the thing. Sort of a barn find that had 35,000 miles on the original motor when I first bought it in 2020 (no rust!). I’ve since had damn near everything on the car serviced and brought up to speed.

Here’s my dilemma: I’ve been itching for a manual transmission ever since. Even had my automatic serviced not more than six months ago! So if there’s someone out there who has a solid manual transmission they’d be willing to completely swap for in the Southern Orange County area, let’s talk and see if this idea is crazy enough to work
It is not a hard job at all. If you can swap a clutch, the rest is easy.

The only complete set up I have will be going into an 04 TJ Unlimited to make it more unique than normal since they only came with the auto.

I will be glad to put the word out and see if anyone is interested though.
I will have a complete swap if/when my new trans is built.
Still hope to send to you Blaine to do the swap...

Yours is a 2003, correct? Too bad we aren't closer together.

I will have a complete swap if/when my new trans is built.
I thought you opened a brothel and decided to run it by hand until you could hire some girls.
Still hope to send to you Blaine to do the swap...
Still hoping to make all your dreams come true.

I thought you opened a brothel and decided to run it by hand until you could hire some girls.

Still hoping to make all your dreams come

Still hoping to make all your dreams come true.
Regarding my heap, you already have!
Can't say enough good about the build. Jeep nirvana for sure, thanks to your magic.
Ordered the tranny over 6 months ago. No stress, it will get here when it gets here.
Seems like that's how the jeep world rolls these days.

It is not a hard job at all. If you can swap a clutch, the rest is easy.
Nice to meet you, man - how much would you charge to do the swap? I’d really prefer to pay someone that’s comfortable with the work at the end of the day. I’d love to help on this sort of thing but to be honest it’s out of my wheelhouse.

Why, why, why. For many years I was a manual fan, but I'll never go back. With the right gearing (t-case and diffs), an auto is hands down better than a stick. Now that I've opened up the Ford/Chevy debate, let the commentary begin.

Because it is his rig and he can have it however he wants it.
Well of course he can have whatever he wants on his own rig. That's kind of a silly statement. I meant I was curious why the OP thought switching to a manual in an '03 would be a preferable option for him.

Well of course he can have whatever he wants on his own rig. That's kind of a silly statement. I meant I was curious why the OP thought switching to a manual in an '03 would be a preferable option for him.
Then you should lead with that instead of your bullshit about why why why?

I just put this video together and watching it made me think of this thread (since I read it earlier this week) and many other threads. I have a 5 sp manual and you can hear my engine lugging as I am letting out the clutch as slow as possible while giving no throttle and actually purposely feathering the brake to try and get the wheels to crawl as slow as possible. I have never "crawled" in an automatic so I have nothing to compare it to, but I believe that this is what everyone is referring to when they are having the manual vs auto discussions. It would definitely be much easier to get the tires to "crawl" at a very slow speed allowing you to maintain traction with the automatic. I like my manual and I am not defending or promoting one or the other, I am just trying to show that if you are actually crawling your jeep that it is very difficult to get the wheels to turn that slow in order to maintain traction in a manual (not saying it is impossible to make obstacle, just difficult to get the tires to turn that slow).

SMORR Rattler Waterfall

Reactions: rasband