Tim_with_the_tj

TJ Enthusiast
Tore down the double cardan joint on my front driveshaft to rebuild it. Unfortunately it looks like I need a new driveshaft…

The shaft is badly worn. You can easily feel all of the visible marks. The centering yoke has a small amount of play in the ball and socket joint. The retaining ring fell out when I removed the yoke.

The Jeep is a 1997 4cyl 5 speed and it’s had lunchbox lockers for an unknown amount of time. I bought it a few months ago. It still has the Dana 30 front, with 4.88s.

What are my best options to replace this driveshaft?

If I try to swap in a used driveshaft, will the balancing be different?

Thanks in advance for the help. This was a real bummer to discover after finally getting the old u-joints out.

If you go with used, the balance should be fine but I don't know if the lengths would be different so you'll want to find out what other flavors of TJ you can use the driveshaft from.

Tom Wood's is always a good choice, expect to spend about $350 shipped. I sold a used one with new joints and centering yoke for $150 a few months ago.

Reactions: Tim_with_the_tj
call Tom Wood's (or a reputable driveshaft shop of your preference) and get a new shaft

I don’t have any immediate plans to upgrade the front axle, but if I buy a Tom Woods driveshaft would it work with any Dana 44? Or does a Dana 44 have a larger yoke? I’m very new at Jeeps.
X2 to a Tom Wood driveshaft. Www.4xshaft.com. Ask that it be built with the stronger and more durable Spicer 5-1310x u-joints.
What sucks is that I have all those exact u joints sitting here brand new. Now I can’t rebuild this driveshaft with them. Ugh.

I don’t have any immediate plans to upgrade the front axle, but if I buy a Tom Woods driveshaft would it work with any Dana 44? Or does a Dana 44 have a larger yoke? I’m very new at Jeeps.
I wouldn't worry about that. When and if the time comes you can either sell or send the shaft back to Tom Wood's and have them make whatever adjustments in length and/or ends that are necessary.
What sucks is that I have all those exact u joints sitting here brand new. Now I can’t rebuild this driveshaft with them. Ugh.
Can you return them? I rebuilt my front shaft with parts from Denny's Driveline but if I had it to do over again I'd just buy a new shaft.

If you go with used, the balance should be fine but I don't know if the lengths would be different so you'll want to find out what other flavors of TJ you can use the driveshaft from.

Tom Wood's is always a good choice, expect to spend about $350 shipped. I sold a used one with new joints and centering yoke for $150 a few months ago.

I’m hoping there might be other vehicles that share the same front driveshaft with non-rubicon TJs. Maybe Cherokees? I’m starting to look into it, there’s just a lot of info to sort through. I just bought all new u joints for my rebuild and now spending another $350 was not in the plan. Trying to weigh my options, but first I gotta figure out what those options are.

I wouldn't worry about that. When and if the time comes you can either sell or send the shaft back to Tom Wood's and have them make whatever adjustments in length and/or ends that are necessary.

Can you return them?
That’s true about the adjustments to the driveshaft. Hopefully shipping wouldn’t be a killer in that future scenario. Good point.

I might be able to return the new parts. I’m not sure. If not, I could probably sell them I suppose.

Reactions: L J
That’s true about the adjustments to the driveshaft. Hopefully shipping wouldn’t be a killer in that future scenario. Good point.

I might be able to return the new parts. I’m not sure. If not, I could probably sell them I suppose.
I realize money doesn't grow on trees but after all of the running around and making sure you're not wasting more money buying junk it just seems like the better move to get a brand new shaft. YMMV

Why not? The 5-1310x is compatible with the driveshafts that came on an SE.

Go with Tom Woods. The DS is not something to save a few $$ on. This appears to be the costly option up front but well worth it down the road.

The luchbox locker hammers on those joints all the time, the little click you hear evertime it ratchets is banging on those joints. It is constantly tapping away at the driveshaft every time you turn 2wd or 4wd. Click click click, another u-joint gone.

The luchbox locker hammers on those joints all the time, the little click you hear evertime it ratchets is banging on those joints. It is constantly tapping away at the driveshaft every time you turn 2wd or 4wd. Click click click, another u-joint gone.
I suspected this was the case. Thanks for confirming. I’ve never owned a vehicle with them, but I can tell it’s hard on the driveline. I’m not a big fan of it, especially the front lunchbox locker. When I’m in 4wd it’s a pita most of the time. Most trails around here are tight and windy. I’ll probably be removing the front lunchbox locker soon. I don’t think it’s worth it for me.

I just rebuilt the rear driveshaft with new Spicer u-joints as well. I’ll be doing the front axle shafts next. They look ok, but I get a random pop while turning that I haven’t been able to track down yet.

Reactions: pagrey