Looks like I sprung a leak

dockdoc

Found a puddle of coolant on my driveway this am. Dripping down from the bell housing and rear of the engine. Tracked it along the driver's side of the engine, and I can just get a glimpse where it looks like it's leaking out of the top of a freeze plug under the manifold. Not a lot, haven't even needed to add coolant yet.

I'm barely two weeks out from a frame-off restoration, so this is insanely frustrating. We didn't touch the freeze plugs, hadn't had an issue before now. Could have easily exchanged them while the motor was out if we'd known.

Going to get a quote for a mechanic to replace all 5 of them... how much do you think that'll cost? I'm sure I could figure it out in my driveway but not sure I have the patience right now...

Replying to myself... shop estimated 3 hours of labor to get in there and access / replace the plugs (parts are cheap). So probably looking at $300-400.

Reactions: Zorba
Replying to myself... shop estimated 3 hours of labor to get in there and access / replace the plugs (parts are cheap). So probably looking at $300-400.
That's not too hateful, at least it's not the one on the back of the block.

They actually gave you a realistic man hours time. Around my area they do the time to replace each and then multiply. So they charge disassembling and reassembling for each item. Sounds like you found a decent shop!👍

If you want/need a block heater, this would be a very good time to do so. The heater takes the place of the front most plug. (Not needed if it rarely gets below zero where you live.)

Reactions: Goatman
Well spoke too soon... Dropped it off at the shop for repair and they called me back saying they're pretty sure the rear plugs are leaking as well. So gearbox will have to come off to do all of them. Un-freaking-believable that this is happening right now. I can picture in my mind a short few weeks ago when the motor was sitting on a tire and we could have just swapped them out in minutes. Sad face.

Price tag just doubled on the repair.