Loose steering

Does this help ?

0A7C2DE6-18DD-4C09-8445-19AEED5B158B.jpeg

FF813659-8972-48A3-B55C-8226428C5AF4.jpeg

5C0F8384-D1F6-4777-BE1D-2E1B3C17E6C1.jpeg

75E0FE7A-0E70-4385-8044-7D6A03C5EC28.jpeg

8BE39FD3-87C5-42DD-B9E1-1694A04EC01D.jpeg

When you cycle the steering wheel have someone check the Tie Rod Ends (steering knuckles, drag link to tie rod and drag link to pitman arm) to see if the ball has excessive slop (separation from body), verify steering box does not excessive play in the steering shaft, take a look at the coupling the steering wheel shaft connecting to the steering box and verify the steering box bolts are tight (45 ft lbs) IIRC....,

3rd pic helps. Adjustment sleeves look all messed up to me. Drag link and tie rod end adjustments. Record a video of the front of your suspension similar to picture 3, turn the steering back and forth in different ways (quick, slow, aggressive, smooth). Watch/post the video. My guess is that those adjustment sleeves are loose and allowing play. Steering stabilizer looks off to me aswell, like it's mounted wrong... That won't give you the enormous play youre seeing though, just an observation.

And see if that monstrosity of a dual steering damper contraption is moving around. If so, that virus easily transmit odd sensations into the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensei
Everything I've circled here needs to be checked for any play/looseness. All castle nuts should have cotter pins. No "ball joint" should have an in or out play, nor make any clunking noises. You need to check these circled areas, whilst having someone manipulate the steering. Or record a video and post it here. You can actually grab those two bars you see on front, the drag link and tie rod, and grab them and shake aggressively with your hands. If they are moving, you've got an obvious issue.

loosepitmanarm.png