Losing it with lug nut info

Scottfree98

So yes, I know the different styles conical, flat, acorn, etc. But with steel wheels such as D-windows, everything I read is acorn. But aren't the D-windows, Baja 8's, crager wheels just flat with no 60 degree entry? Can someone help me get to the bottom of this and will 1.38" capped be enough space for the lug to not have the "cap" pop off?
Screenshot_20230319-110103.png

Screenshot_20230319-105843.png

Screenshot_20230319-110843.png

My Cragar Soft 8’s had the 60° seat. Since they aren’t hub centric, they have to or else the wheel would have no way to center itself. I think the pic you’re referencing is not relevant to the application you will be using.

All that said, I’d throw out the steel wheel idea and get something aluminum/alloy. I hated my Cragars, they were heavy, hard to balance properly (could have been bent but I didn’t do anything to bend them), and they rusted, even in TX.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
All that said, I’d throw out the steel wheel idea and get something aluminum/alloy. I hated my Cragars, they were heavy, hard to balance properly (could have been bent but I didn’t do anything to bend them), and they rusted, even in TX.
X2, all my previous TJ's steel wheels were good at was getting dented and bent too easily on the trail.

My Cragar Soft 8’s had the 60° seat. Since they aren’t hub centric, they have to or else the wheel would have no way to center itself. I think the pic you’re referencing is not relevant to the application you will be using.

While I agree, I'm not trailing it hardcore or at low psi. I had the D Windows but they were bent from the manufacturer. Tried twice and then went to the rubicon alloy, but not in the d window style. While the alloys looked good with the hardtop on, I couldn't get used to them with the top and doors off. This moss green is a finicky color. But I'm picky. So I'm going back to the DWindows with white letting out. as long as they're not bent. If they are, I keep sending em back to Jegs. Not a fan of the black American racing or procomp alloy Baja 8's for some reason. I think it's the way they don't appear to have much "depth" as the DWindows
PXL_20230213_203427993~2.jpg

PXL_20230313_213945403~2.jpg

PXL_20230217_203412228~3.jpg

PXL_20230315_171156175~2.jpg

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
While I agree, I'm not trailing it hardcore or at low psi. I had the D Windows but they were bent from the manufacturer. Tried twice and then went to the rubicon alloy, but not in the d window style. While the alloys looked good with the hardtop on, I couldn't get used to them with the top and doors off. This moss green is a finicky color. But I'm picky. So I'm going back to the DWindows with white letting out. as long as they're not bent. If they are, I keep sending em back to Jegs. Not a fan of the black American racing or procomp alloy Baja 8's for some reason. I think it's the way they don't appear to have much "depth" as the DWindows
View attachment 408576

View attachment 408577

View attachment 408578

View attachment 408579

If you’re having that much trouble getting rims not bent from Jegs, I have little hope you’ll keep a straight set straight. I like the look of your Jeep in the last picture

Reactions: TheBoogieman
If you’re having that much trouble getting rims not bent from Jegs, I have little hope you’ll keep a straight set straight. I like the look of your Jeep in the last picture

Ya, giving them one last chance. They're sending me a set now. And if no good, I'll return and get $ back and deal with the matte black procomp vintage 69 alloys....
Can I just have $ for a winter wheel/tire set and a summer set?🤣
Screenshot_20230319-131025.png

n1ydcb0pe0h81~2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I had the D Windows but they were bent from the manufacturer. Tried twice and then went to the rubicon alloy, but not in the d window style. While the alloys looked good with the hardtop on, I couldn't get used to them with the top and doors off. This moss green is a finicky color.

Send those Rubicon alloy wheels here to Va. They'd look good on my red Jeep. 😎 I had a moss green Jeep years ago.
Willys).jpg

Reactions: JMT
OP you are beating this tire and wheel thing to death!🤣

I get it though. I spent some time mulling it over too and even posted a poll here while I was deciding (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/which-wheels.62504/)

I started with cheap, black D-windows and I liked the look with my green TJ. But, like you and others have found, they are heavy, hard or impossible to balance and have a lot of lateral run out. All of that lead me to aluminum. @Jerry Bransford has posted numerous times his similar journey and also noted the steel wheels don’t stand up to rocks well either. I looked at the exact wheels you currently have but decided I needed a little more offset for a 12.5 wide tire. For me, it came down to ProComp 69 and Ultra 5051.
1679249669763.jpeg

I probably would have been happy with either but I picked the Ultras, was satisfied in all respects and haven’t looked back:
CC862162-29E5-4292-A36D-8F283A0215A7.jpeg

I get it though. I spent some time mulling it over too and even posted a poll here while I was deciding (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/which-wheels.62504/)

I started with cheap, black D-windows and I liked the look with my green TJ. But, like you and others have found, they are heavy, hard or impossible to balance and have a lot of lateral run out. All of that lead me to aluminum. @Jerry Bransford has posted numerous times his similar journey and also noted the steel wheels don’t stand up to rocks well either. I looked at the exact wheels you currently have but decided I needed a little more offset for a 12.5 wide tire. For me, it came down to ProComp 69 and Ultra 5051.
View attachment 408605
I probably would have been happy with either but I picked the Ultras, was satisfied in all respects and haven’t looked back:
View attachment 408606

Yep….I see the avatar and immediately think “it’s that tire guy again…..”

Reactions: Woodrow

View attachment 408605
View attachment 408606

Oh for sure man! I followed your wheel journey prior to all this mess I've created

Lol. If I dont like something I'm not just going to live with it. So I come here to ask the wise community. Then again, maybe picky people like me aren't meant to own a jeep🤷😂
IDK, I think a lot of us here are fairly OCD about our Jeeps. For me, it came down to performance. I liked the look of the black steelies, but the weight, poor tolerances and ease of bending were not OK.

I have those same pro comps and those are hands down my favorite rims. Flat black rims looks better with green though. :love:

20220107_165105.jpg

Having aluminum wheels alone is not a solution by itself, having aluminum wheels with a lip for balance weight on the outer edge is a much better option. I had some nice looking aluminum wheels, couldn’t get them to balance good with stick on weights…

Having aluminum wheels alone is not a solution by itself, having aluminum wheels with a lip for balance weight on the outer edge is a much better option. I had some nice looking aluminum wheels, couldn’t get them to balance good with stick on weights…

Ya...At the time, my bent wheels weren't the only problem....I had some hidden F'd up tires when I bought the jeep. This was the result of using that bad tire on a new bent wheel. Crazy.😂
PXL_20230303_175855487.jpg

Not to revive this thread by any means, but after hours of phone calls with Jegs, I've been refunded $$ for 9 D-window wheels. Yes, 9...I've gone thru hell with these things. Manufacturing quality must truly suck nowadays.
With my driving habits for the TJ, I'm going back to black ALLOYS of the Baja 8's from Procomp. At $115/PC, i can't beat that price. I Should have done that from the get go. And thankfully, no more wheel or tire posts will ever be made by me... EXCEPT to sell my Rubicon wheels on here or FB.🤣🤣...
Cheers🍻 .
61SKYVaOVfL.jpg