Lost All Ignition Keys - 06 LJR

Duck Doctor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Misplaced the only set of keys to my 06 LJR. Finished the build two weeks ago but unfortunately the keys were in my other vehicle when it was burglarized two weeks ago in a community far from my residence.

Need help figuring out how to replace. Can the dealership use my VIN as a reference to cut a new set of keys and program the SKIM? Worried that these rigs are so old that I may have to replace the PCM and have non-SKIM keys made. Appreciate any insight.

A0E82D93-8CD9-4CF8-932C-9246E83A2C94.jpeg

Shouldn't be any need for a pcm. If you can find a dealer or a shop that still has a DRB3 tool or an emulator, the operation is detailed in the FSM.

I have heard though that the latest Mopar keys won't program, so you'll want to grab some aftermarket ones. I'd share a link but the eBay listing I bought mine with is dead. @mrblaine may be able to suggest something (as he was the one I got the eBay link from at the time), or otherwise advise on the topic in general.

I got my programmable key on eBay from Bartolete Keys. It programmed just fine in my Jeep (with two other keys).
Bartolete Keys

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Misplaced the only set of keys to my 06 LJR. Finished the build two weeks ago but unfortunately the keys were in my other vehicle when it was burglarized two weeks ago in a community far from my residence.

Need help figuring out how to replace. Can the dealership use my VIN as a reference to cut a new set of keys and program the SKIM? Worried that these rigs are so old that I may have to replace the PCM and have non-SKIM keys made. Appreciate any insight.

View attachment 430003

They can and will cut keys to the VIN which is also the only way we do it. The problem will be if the lock cylinder has been altered. Since you need a working key to insert into the lock cylinder to unlock it to remove it, we can only hope the cylinder is stock.

If you can get a SKIM key(s) cut to the VIN, then you can ship us the PCM, SKIM module, and keys, we can pair them all up and make sure they work. If you want to risk the cylinder being stock, then we just need the PCM and SKIM module. We can get keys cut to the VIN, program them to the SKIM module and PCM.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ and L J
They can and will cut keys to the VIN which is also the only way we do it. The problem will be if the lock cylinder has been altered. Since you need a working key to insert into the lock cylinder to unlock it to remove it, we can only hope the cylinder is stock.

If you can get a SKIM key(s) cut to the VIN, then you can ship us the PCM, SKIM module, and keys, we can pair them all up and make sure they work. If you want to risk the cylinder being stock, then we just need the PCM and SKIM module. We can get keys cut to the VIN, program them to the SKIM module and PCM.

Appreciate the information. I will send you a message to discuss the details.

So, Separate but related issue. I recently found out that my keys have worn to the point of them being able to be removed from the ignition, no matter its position (yes, even engine running). I'm going to have some keys made off my VIN, but my question is more about the ignition cylinder...does it "wear" out too? Like, if I have worn keys and I'm replacing them, should I replace the ignition too?

So, Separate but related issue. I recently found out that my keys have worn to the point of them being able to be removed from the ignition, no matter its position (yes, even engine running). I'm going to have some keys made off my VIN, but my question is more about the ignition cylinder...does it "wear" out too? Like, if I have worn keys and I'm replacing them, should I replace the ignition too?

yes. They're cheap and easy to rekey them so might as well replace it too.

You can put new tumblers in the OEM ignition lock cylinder. Just get the same ones as new and match them to a VIN cut key.

The ignition cylinder on my 99 TJ had gotten so worn that I started it up and made a beer run with the key to my 2000 Chevy pickup. It was only getting back in and starting it back up at the liquor store that I realized the key felt funny in my hand. The keys aren't even the same profile...the Chevy key won't even go in to a healthy Jeep cylinder, let alone turn it.

FWIW, I simply replaced the cylinder and keyed it to match. I didn't get a new key, the old one worked fine, but it was not the original key, and I'd bet it was a copy of the original, not a

Are they the same as the door locks? I have a kit to rekey my half doors already.

I don't know.

I think they're different - the kit I bought for my half doors last year was specifically labeled as being for door and trunk, no mention of ignition.

I did the ignition cylinder in 2020, didn't buy a wafer kit. The new cylinder had the right quantity of the right sizes that I could rearrange them to fit my original key only borrowing 1 wafer from the old cylinder, and I wasn't gonna buy a whole kit for one wafer. Even if you have to reuse more than that, it seemed like the wafers were in pretty good shape and that the wear in my cylinder must have been the cylinder itself.

I think they're different - the kit I bought for my half doors last year was specifically labeled as being for door and trunk, no mention of ignition.

I did the ignition cylinder in 2020, didn't buy a wafer kit. The new cylinder had the right quantity of the right sizes that I could rearrange them to fit my original key only borrowing 1 wafer from the old cylinder, and I wasn't gonna buy a whole kit for one wafer. Even if you have to reuse more than that, it seemed like the wafers were in pretty good shape and that the wear in my cylinder must have been the cylinder itself.

If you have some that are slightly too tall with a new key inserted, just take a nice flat file to them and knock them down to the top of the cylinder.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low