Lots of people selling TJs because of high fuel prices

A pretty wise buddy of mine said there are two kind of jeep people-

The kind that has a jeep and will always have a jeep and the people that get one, one time, and will never have one again.

My best friend is the first type (got his first one at 14 and has had one pretty much continuously since.). and I had one at 21 and just got my second at 68. Was always around them by hanging with my best friend, tho'.....I will keep this TJ until I die, or it dies, which ever comes first....

Reactions: AndyG
Retired guy here. I kept the daily driver (2007 Chevy HHR), so the TJ is a toy, but it seems to have become the daily driver most days....

Reactions: Kevin E
There had been a large increase in lj's for sale in my area. Some with price drops which was unheard of a few months back. Especially on lj's.

People dumping third vehicles to pay for stuff it seems. I have even thought about it at times.

It’s tempting to offload the TJ at times…wait no it’s not. The money would be great, but you can’t wipe the grin off my face when I trot that thing down the road- closed up or naked!

4 years ago my company switched and went from a vehicle allowance to mileage reimbursement. When they did that I dumped my gas guzzling Acura MDX and scooped up a 4-banging Kia Optima Sport. I love that car and the 37 mpg it gets in the interstate. It’s not even 3 years old and has 70k miles

No regrets
View attachment 314731
Reminds me of this.

1659192298109.png

TJ is my only vehicle. I drove 6000 miles in the last three years. So gas price is not a real problem here.

You’d better get your white privilege AND your toxic masculinity in place. I mean you basically just mansplained this to all of us 😆😉

Yeah, this is kind of talk that I hoped will never appear in the Jeep forum.
We could make it worse : Jeep is the inception point in cross section of white privilege and toxic masculinity, not caring about the environment, about the ants being ran over in trails and what not. Basically all the evils of the modern society.
I am making now Greta face:)

• USA Proud
  • Haha
Reactions: BillW and Chris
If they were living close enough to the edge that fuel prices cause them to sell they shouldn't have had a Jeep or any other low mileage vehicle in the first place. Zero sympathy.

Or maybe that edge was a lot further away from them a year or two ago? This always happens when the economy starts to slow down. People reevaluate their spending. Look at rockcrawling classifieds page at how many rigs are being posted for cheap lately. Good time to buy if you can swing it but a lot more increased other that fuel. Though fuel is coming back down.

I don't think people are selling just because of fuel prices. It's what fuel prices do the rest of the goods they need on a daily basis. Auto loan defaults are rising very quickly in 2022 according to equifax. That isn't solely because of fuel prices.

I haven't even thought about dumping mine when fuel prices where the highest and I throw about 300 or more miles at it a week

Reactions: BillW
I haven't priced TJs, but the price of old Willys jeeps and trucks have easily doubled. I've always liked that they have remained cheap. Hopefully they will be again.

As far as the price of gas goes, my primary form of transportation has been motorcycles for about 20 years. Sure, the light weights don't want to ride in traffic here in DFW during the summer, but it's not too bad.

Reactions: Blondie70 and RINC
I could see where in Australia there's more options that also have better fuel economy in 4x4. In the US we aren't really allowed to own diesels unless you want to spend WAY more than you'll ever spend on the fuel, so crap MPG is just part of it.

Personally I love older vehicles and the chance to build 1 the way I want it for cheaper than buying anything remotely similar is kind of fun. The only issues I've noticed is that I'd love to do it again, if I had more time to wrench for fun rather than under the gun to get stuff working again.

My commute is so short and I've got so many vehicles that I just need to do maintenance runs on the MPG doesn't matter and if it wasn't for the mud tires, I'd probably be getting 24 MPG and if I wanted to pull the rack I'd probably get 26ish MPG, which wouldn't be that bad, but it wouldn't be the Jeep I want it to be either. Of course diesel is crazy right now which really is the real story, because it's what industry and agriculture pretty much run on.

I've thought about getting a little EV mountain bike, but the fuel I'd save and the times I'd get to ride it rather than my commute wouldn't even come close to what I'd spend, so unless I start wanting to ride it around the farm vs a little 4 wheeler that sips fuel then I can't really justify it, unless I want to convince myself of a mostly off-grid transportation setup. IE solar charging spare batteries and stuff.