Loud pop / clunk in rear-end when turning from stopped

Sam.matthew

So, when I am taking off from a stop sign and making a turn, one rear tire drags and then there is a loud pop/clunk and it feels as though the Rear-end slides. Also sometimes feels like it dog tracks at times.

I have tried changing my differential fluids and added a friction modifier but changed nothing. Any ideas?

Did you buy the jeep recently? Does it have a lunchbox type locker in it?

Did you buy the jeep recently? Does it have a lunchbox type locker in it?
Yes, my dad was the only owner until now. He passed away just over 2 yrs ago. The jeep sat until January this year when I bought it. It' an 04 tj sahara edition with the Dana 44 axles in the rear. Not sure about the locker, but seems like that' part of the issue. Like it' not unlocking like it should

Yes, my dad was the only owner until now. He passed away just over 2 yrs ago. The jeep sat until January this year when I bought it. It' an 04 tj sahara edition with the Dana 44 axles in the rear. Not sure about the locker, but seems like that' part of the issue. Like it' not unlocking like it should
Also, it was fine until about 2.5 weeks ago

does it have drum brakes, is so, take the drum off an see if anything is loose inside, maybe from freezing up from sitting. if somethings loose in there, it may be binding, locking up the drum at times. get pic of rear suspension for all to look at. an if its got disks, see if a pad froze up an broke off, an is moving..

Reactions: Alex01
Sorry to hear about your dad. Easy way to tell if there is a locker in it would be to jack up the axle then turn the tire. If they both turn the same direction it is locked. (or limited slip)

Last edited:
does it have drum brakes, is so, take the drum off an see if anything is loose inside, maybe from freezing up from sitting. if somethings loose in there, it may be binding, locking up the drum at times. get pic of rear suspension for all to look at. an if its got disks, see if a pad froze up an broke off, an is moving..
Thanks, had not thought of that. It has disk brakes. I will check it out in the morning and take some pics and post them also.

Reactions: Alex01
Thanks, had not thought of that. It has disk brakes. I will check it out in the morning and take some pics and post them also.

just something else to check....i had a car sit for awhile an it froze, an hung up the tire...but probably more likely with drums to happen. still check the disks.

You may want to check your rear shocks, I know that they can become loose and can make a popping sound. It is probably only one that needs to be tightened or replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have rear disc brakes you have parking brake shoes that are located inside the center of the rotors, while you are back there I'd pull the rotors and check them.

Did you ever figure out what it was ? My 97 tj is starting to do the something similar, But the rear end is locking up when I turn left or right, but it Doesn't do it when the wheel is straight . Sometimes I hear a loud snap, and when I'm on the highway it feels like its dog walking, and when I make turns (left or right) the rear end starts locking up (in both drive or reverse)

Reactions: Daredevil96