Loud squeeling noise

Tony Moore

i just purchased a 2000 wrangler TJ, 4 cyl. Loud squeeling from idler pully bearing (sprayed pully w/wd40) and noise quit. so bought new idler pully bearing... still does same thing. spray'd wd40 on new one, and noise quits? belt in very good shape. what to do from here??????

thanx

2 things. Make sure you haven't overtighten the belt and just because the belt looks good, doesn't mean it isn't glazed over. I am going on the fact you replaced the idler pulley and taking that out of the equation. Doesn't always mean the replacement is good however, given that so much of that stuff from the big box parts places is manufactured in China and 3rd world countries anymore

@Tony Moore I concur with @05LJ

Just because the belt looks good doesn't mean it is. I would for sure replace the belt with a new one if you haven't already. Also, I would make sure it's not to tight since over tightening it could easily make it squeal.

There's also always that faint possibility that the idler pulley you installed was bad. It's happened to me before when I bought a 'new' part, so it's not unheard of.

@Tony Moore I concur with @05LJ

Just because the belt looks good doesn't mean it is. I would for sure replace the belt with a new one if you haven't already. Also, I would make sure it's not to tight since over tightening it could easily make it squeal.

There's also always that faint possibility that the idler pulley you installed was bad. It's happened to me before when I bought a 'new' part, so it's not unheard of.
Speaking about the belt, how do you gauge the proper tension on the belt?

There is a tension tool available but I usually just figure an inch give or take of give at the widest part between pulleys. Kind of a feel thing for me, your results may vary. Key thing is just not too tight as it will cause premature failure of bearings and the belt, and obviously too loose will cause slippage and glazing of the belt.

Reactions: Chris
There is a tension tool available but I usually just figure an inch give or take of give at the widest part between pulleys. Kind of a feel thing for me, your results may vary. Key thing is just not too tight as it will cause premature failure of bearings and the belt, and obviously too loose will cause slippage and glazing of the belt.
That's good info thanks.

Reactions: Chris