Louvered hood fun

Rooster

TJ Enthusiast
My current project, Rooster, came with a louvered hood plate and the moron that did the original cuts must have failed coloring inside the lines so I recut the openings. I'm sure it will flow better now. I was never really a fan of the louvered hoods as all I could imagine was the engine bay being flooded in a rain but, it came to me with the louvers. Then, when I saw the way the improved cuts came out, I thought, "Deadpool would like this." hence the reference. LOL
20181228_083305.jpg
FB_IMG_1547522554852.jpg
FB_IMG_1547522589736.jpg

For what it’s worth. I’ve had my Poison Spyder good louver for 5 years now. I’ve never had an issue with rain, water, now, mud, dirt or whatever else you can think of.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I've had my Poison Spyder on for a couple years as well with no problems. If we get a really hard rain and it's sitting out in it, the fan belt will squeak for a quick second on initial start-up but doesn't do it anymore on the next start up.

I do believe that the only people who worry about the rain-soaked engine "issue" from louvered hoods are those who do not actually live in rainy areas. Living in the Pacific North Wet and having had louvered hoods in the past, I can honestly say that I've never encountered a problem. In fact, the only "problem" I've ever had was related to what was trying to get outside of the hood. Blowing a radiator hose, or some similar situation where pressurized hot coolant decides to escape its confines, will have said coolant finding its way out of every louver you have, and subsequently end up on your windshield...while you're trying to drive...at the most inopportune moment. Trust me on this. ;)

Last edited:
My current project, Rooster, came with a louvered hood plate and the moron that did the original cuts must have failed coloring inside the lines so I recut the openings. I'm sure it will flow better now. I was never really a fan of the louvered hoods as all I could imagine was the engine bay being flooded in a rain but, it came to me with the louvers. Then, when I saw the way the improved cuts came out, I thought, "Deadpool would like this." hence the reference. LOLView attachment 72389

On another note - This could be a good way to identify where to cut the holes in the hood. Mount the louvered panel and just drive the Jeep for a couple months. Then remove the panel and the accumulated dust shows you right where the louvers are! :)

For what it’s worth, I’ve had louvers cut in my hood for a few years with no issues. It is interesting to see the heat POURING (can things pour up?) out of them at traffic lights.

I spend a lot of time idling my Jeep in Georgia since my LJ is my office. I feel like the louvers do my engine a favor to evacuate some of the heat.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had louvers cut in my hood for a few years with no issues. It is interesting to see the heat POURING (can things pour up?) out of them at traffic lights.

I spend a lot of time idling my Jeep in Georgia since my LJ is my office. I feel like the louvers do my engine a favor to evacuate some of the heat.

That’s one of the best things. I love watching the heat escape through the louvers.

Things can definitely pour up. I louvered the "bonnet" of my old MGB/GT. I was driving on a highway and the rad blew. it was actually pretty funny to see the coolant come through the louvres and cover the windshield. It was a coupe. If it had been a roadster with the top down it wouldn't have been very funny at all!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
On another note - This could be a good way to identify where to cut the holes in the hood. Mount the louvered panel and just drive the Jeep for a couple months. Then remove the panel and the accumulated dust shows you right where the louvers are! :)
That's pretty much how it went. Haha

Reactions: -T.