Love going down a new forest road

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Out exploring the Lolo National Forest today, on the MT/ID border. I come across a FS road that is usually gated, locked, and has driving restrictions...today its wide open to the public for some reason, and I get to explore a new can of worms in these mountains. I just feel like this sort of thing does not happen enough! Its always the opposite as more and more things are gated and closed off.

DSCN1340.JPG
DSCN1363.JPG
DSCN1367.JPG
DSCN1360.JPG

I mean look at the views from behind this one gate!

Damn I’m jealous! That looks absolutely beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EJD
Yep, I seriously think that I enjoy exploring forest service roads and trails more than I do wheeling. The places that some of them can take you and the sights you can see are amazing!

Did you go it alone, or with friends / family?

Yep, I seriously think that I enjoy exploring forest service roads and trails more than I do wheeling. The places that some of them can take you and the sights you can see are amazing!

Did you go it alone, or with friends / family?
Oh I agree with that! Plus you end up doing some wheeling regardless on most FS roads/trails. I had to pop it into 4wd once or twice going up a steep grade that was a little muddy/snowy. I was solo, and wasn't really prepared to venture off too deep into the wilderness there with what I had on me at the moment. But I have to go back and go further in next time...depending on how long it stays open.

You could overland for days here in any direction it seems like. I was criss-crossing the state line like crazy into this whole Lewis & Clark area. It's full of really beautiful scenery, and remote alpine lakes.

Oh I agree with that! Plus you end up doing some wheeling regardless on most FS roads/trails. I had to pop it into 4wd once or twice going up a steep grade that was a little muddy/snowy. I was solo, and wasn't really prepared to venture off too deep into the wilderness there with what I had on me at the moment. But I have to go back and go further in next time...depending on how long it stays open.

You could overland for days here in any direction it seems like. I was criss-crossing the state line like crazy into this whole Lewis & Clark area. It's full of really beautiful scenery, and remote alpine lakes.

Sounds like a blast! Montana and the PNW have some great places to explore, that’s for sure.

Reactions: StG58 and EJD
Oh i'm hooked into the life thats for sure. I guess thats why I get so stoked when I see a new road open up.

Yep, I hear ya. There's some great FS roads here in Oregon... all over the place actually. And they often times take you to really cool places, with really scenic views!

Yep, I hear ya. There's some great FS roads here in Oregon... all over the place actually. And they often times take you to really cool places, with really scenic views!

I certainly have to agree with that! I have more fun on NF roads than I do at OHV areas most of the time.

Reactions: StG58 and EJD
Out exploring the Lolo National Forest today, on the MT/ID border. I come across a FS road that is usually gated, locked, and has driving restrictions...today its wide open to the public for some reason, and I get to explore a new can of worms in these mountains. I just feel like this sort of thing does not happen enough! Its always the opposite as more and more things are gated and closed off.

View attachment 57415 View attachment 57416 View attachment 57417 View attachment 57418

I mean look at the views from behind this one gate!
Nice!

Went back to the same area today, just a bit further and down another branch. Looked like an old wagon trail or something, really cool, trail kept climbing so I kept driving till the it ended just under some ridge. Set up a little day camp with my kiddo and soaked in the views for a bit.

IMG_9562.JPG
IMG_9526.JPG
IMG_9541.JPG

Went back to the same area today, just a bit further and down another branch. Looked like an old wagon trail or something, really cool, trail kept climbing so I kept driving till the it ended just under some ridge. Set up a little day camp with my kiddo and soaked in the views for a bit.

View attachment 57761 View attachment 57762 View attachment 57763

Again, awesome photos. Whitefish is on my wife's short list of places to relocate.....

Yesterday it was noticeably colder as there was some white stuff up on the mountains and since i've got my little one with me, I tossed the hardtop on for a nice little overland excursion through Lolo Pass. Wanted to see how far this one road goes and if we could get up to the snow line, and what I may need to push further out into the backcountry.

IMG_9625.JPG
IMG_9595.JPG
IMG_9607.JPG
IMG_9620.JPG
IMG_9634.JPG
IMG_9630.JPG

So todays adventure was up Blue Mountain FS road 360, about 15 miles deep into the Lolo National Forest when I encountered a junction of 6 trails that I have never been down before. It was awesome! I just started exploring them in a clockwise fashion as I had no idea where I was going but I had my 2yr old daughter with me and she was loving every minute of it. We actually encountered a Moose and a monster Black Bear on this trip which was a first for me within Missoula. So pretty exciting trails, wildlife, and the day ended with a storm rolling in and starting to rain on us (which we were topless), so we got outta there for another day. Found some incredible remote dispersed campsites and pinned them on my GPS for next time.

Started off as an absolutely beautiful day!

IMG_2605.jpg

I was trying to get up to this one fire lookout tower but it was gated on one trail and on this trail we got much closer but were stopped by a serious hill climb obstacle.

IMG_2612.jpg
IMG_2621.jpg

Moose ahead!
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2632.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg

This is the area I saw the Black Bear in, but we scared it by splashing through the forest like we were so I was not able to grab a picture of it unfortunately.

IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2643.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg
IMG_2655.jpg

We ended the day here at Telephone Butte, after a good hill climb up we my Jeep baby and I enjoyed some lunch together here before the ominous clouds in the background turned even darker and it started storming pretty good. We did get rained on a little but hey, it was a really good day of exploring and bonding with my daughter.