Loving the new smoker!

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Bought myself a new smoker just in time for Thanksgiving. Who needs turkey when you can have dino ribs!

IMG_9780.jpeg

Looking good Chris. Those Rectec are nice pellet smokers.

Thanks! I’m very happy with it. It’s a high quality unit and so far has been very nice to cook on. Traeger at this point seems to be charging a premium simply for the name.

Traeger at this point seems to be charging a premium simply for the name.

I would agree with that and now days seems to be the evolution of a lot of older brands these days (Warn I am looking at you). They also are putting more of an emphasis on the "experience" as well, charging for it of course.

Reactions: Chris
I would agree with that and now days seems to be the evolution of a lot of older brands these days (Warn I am looking at you). They also are putting more of an emphasis on the "experience" as well, charging for it of course.

Yep, I’ve noticed the same thing, and you’re right about Warn. They want to charge a premium for their products but in reality technology and manufacturing has caught up to a point where there’s a number of cheaper alternatives that are in many cases just as good, if not better.

At this point the only way they can justify their inflated prices is either a damn good warranty / customer service and/or the “experience”.

I wasn’t going to pay Traeger prices when there are so many other options on the market that are just as good, if not better.

I'm still rocking an old home-built stick burner that I picked up off Craig's List about 10 years ago. Not sure how old it is, but it has those ancient oil reservoirs on the rear steel wheels. That smoker has changed my life in a way. Did a quick smoke of salmon stuffed with crab and brie for Thanksgiving this year and worked out great. I've not smoked dino ribs yet, tho. Looks like I need to get after that!