Low budget "Roadkill" trip

Assforkr

TJ Enthusiast
So I'm flying into Austin next Thursday and buying a TJ and taking a 5 day road trip back to Massachusetts.

I've never been to Texas. My daily is an old pickup so comfort isn't something I'll miss. I'm mechanically inclined and do most of my maintenance and repairs.

Here's what I'm proposing, I document the shit out of everything that goes wrong as well as anything I do during the initial inspection and buyout as well as the trip. In exchange I'd like you guys to tell me:

-What tools I should bring: Right now I'm having a block tester shipped to Austin as well as a good set of torx keys. After that it's harbor freight. Figured at the very least block tester would eliminate a blatant head gasket failure or a cracked head.

-What else to check? I know about checking for frame, rear quarter, fenders and right left foot rocker rust. Rear main seal, vacuum lines, that late model OPDA issue, the 97-98 synchro issue and obviously offroad blistering. Got anything else to examine?

-What pre-trip service should I do. Do oil and check gear fluid? Anything else?

-To hardtop or not to hardtop? Since I live in the Northeast I've been told that a hardtop would make my life easier. Problem is Texans seem to enjoy their sun so 90% of my searches and inquiries have turned up soft tops only. Any junkyards in the Austin/Dallas/Ft. Worth area I should visit for some non-rusted parts?

-Have you heard of http://www.funjeeps.com/. Any first hand experiences?

-Any good food in Texas? Smoked meats perhaps? Slathered in fine sauces maybe? Gimme some ideas here folks.

I'll keep posting about this here and update once a route has been finalized. Ask you guys for the best spots so I never have to feel I missed out on my one real Oklahoma experience.

Stay tuned.

If you’re sticking around Austin for awhile try Salt Lick BBQ or Franklins. If you want to take a drive to prettier parts in your new Jeep head out to the Hill Country. Coopers BBQ in Llano is a good place to stop.

@JMT and @b0xcar are in the Hill Country area and may have some ideas for you!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Assforkr
Brisket at Franklin's BBQ. There's a reason the line starts at 6:00 A.M and they don't open till 11:00.

I've heard about this amazing and mysterious place! Sounds like a great opportunity to do all my fluid changes while my wife waits in line. How do Texans feel about oil stains in the parking lot?

If you’re sticking around Austin for awhile try Salt Lick BBQ or Franklins. If you want to take a drive to prettier parts in your new Jeep head out to the Hill Country. Coopers BBQ in Llano is a good place to stop.

Thanks for the response! Have you by any chance run across that dealership in Arlington? (http://www.funjeeps.com/ half hour from Dallas) They have a bunch of cars in stock that match my criteria but their prices seem a little high. Would be stoked to find a local vehicle in Austin but willing to Travel up to Dallas in search the right TJ.

Also what's the consensus on Jeeps out of the Houston area? Wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole or drain holes did their job? Still confused about the storm and whether salt water played any role in the flooding.

Thanks for the response! Have you by any chance run across that dealership in Arlington? (http://www.funjeeps.com/ half hour from Dallas) They have a bunch of cars in stock that match my criteria but their prices seem a little high. Would be stoked to find a local vehicle in Austin but willing to Travel up to Dallas in search the right TJ.

Also what's the consensus on Jeeps out of the Houston area? Wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole or drain holes did their job? Still confused about the storm and whether salt water played any role in the flooding.

Haven’t had any experience with that Arlington dealership. There’s a Collins Bros Jeep in Wylie that @KCsTJ has some exposure to.

For Houston it was fresh water flooding in Houston proper. Anything down on the coast could have been salt water.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Haven’t had any experience with that Arlington dealership. There’s a Collins Bros Jeep in Wylie that @KCsTJ has some exposure to.

For Houston it was fresh water flooding in Houston proper. Anything down on the coast could have been salt water.

So as a knowledgeable consumer in search of a car, would you be looking in Houston?

https://www.harborfreight.com/Compression-Test-Kit-8-Pc-62638.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html

If this is your DD you might want a hard top, I am in NY and run soft top/half doors all year but I have other vehicles to fall back on.

smoked meats a+++++++++++++

I intend on keeping my Tacoma and having this as a second truck since the miles are racking up in a hurry and I should probably do my timing belt before I hit 3X the Toyota estimated lifespan. Is the soft top enough? I mean...we're good hearty north easterners. Being a little cold waiting for the car to warm up isn't a deathblow. Aren't the TJ heaters massively up to the task of keeping you toasty?

So as a knowledgeable consumer in search of a car, would you be looking in Houston?
You could buy in Houston, I probably wouldn't myself. Plenty Jeeps in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth if you're just looking in the bigger cities. Only reason I wouldn't buy in Houston is obviously because of the recent flooding. Still be aware those vehicles could have been shipped anywhere in the state. Just be sure to check the vehicle history report.

I don’t know enough about the used car market and a flood to give you any solid advice. I’d keep the search to North and Central Texas personally.

As for your other question on the soft top/heater, the heater is plenty up to task to keep you warm. I think those in the cold states like to stay away from the soft tops for other reasons like windows cracking in extreme cold.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Assforkr
You could buy in Houston, I probably wouldn't myself. Plenty Jeeps in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth if you're just looking in the bigger cities. Only reason I wouldn't buy in Houston is obviously because of the recent flooding. Still be aware those vehicles could have been shipped anywhere in the state. Just be sure to check the vehicle history report.

Agreed. From time to time a decent candidate pops up and I get excited until I see the dealership is in Houston. Seeing as I'm from the land of rust I'm very weary of cars that could have been involved in Joachim.

I don’t know enough about the used car market and a flood to give you any solid advice. I’d keep the search to North and Central Texas personally.

As for your other question on the soft top/heater, the heater is plenty up to task to keep you warm. I think those in the cold states like to stay away from the soft tops for other reasons like windows cracking in extreme cold.

Got it! I guess I'll keep the hardtop as a premium option but not a deal breaker. Not much room to store it anyways.

Got it! I guess I'll keep the hardtop as a premium option but not a deal breaker. Not much room to store it anyways.

If it comes with a hard top, that’s a bonus as you can sell it for $800-$1,500 if you don’t want to keep it.

I understand Collins Bros Jeep in Wylie is quite pricey if you're buying a jeep, at least that's the rumor. I just pop in there from time to time to get a part or two, they restore jeeps tho and so they sometimes have parts I can buy over the counter, I use them for that reason.

Reactions: b0xcar

Ive been to the Salt Lick BBQ ...... DEEEEEELIIIIIISSSSSSSSH, its outstanding!

Reactions: Assforkr
Ive been to the Salt Lick BBQ ...... DEEEEEELIIIIIISSSSSSSSH, its outstanding!

If the sit down line is long at Salt Lick they have a separate to go line. Order to go and then just go find a spot to sit when your food is ready. It’s a big place with lots of tables. Short cut!

Reactions: Assforkr and KCsTJ
I intend on keeping my Tacoma and having this as a second truck since the miles are racking up in a hurry and I should probably do my timing belt before I hit 3X the Toyota estimated lifespan. Is the soft top enough? I mean...we're good hearty north easterners. Being a little cold waiting for the car to warm up isn't a deathblow. Aren't the TJ heaters massively up to the task of keeping you toasty?
It is definitely much noisier at speed, as far as warming up it is no different, I stay plenty warm in the winter. I also installed heated seats in mine, best $50 bucks in parts i have spent so far.

Reactions: Assforkr