Low COG overland-ish build

Reactions: tomtaylz
My Curt hitch (now up for sale on CL with the mounting hardware), looks very similar to his, except his is round bar and mine is square bar.

Good. The mounting just looked different on his, so glad yours looks similar. Carry on sir.

Are you sure that receiver hitch will fit your jeep? The mounting of it doesn't look right. Here's a pic of one from Qtech's website.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1100_07.htm

Hopefully, the guy I bought it from said it came off of a TJ. We’ll see I guess it wasn’t too expensive so worst case I’ll figure that out

Edit: didn’t see JMTs. That’s good :) What does the mounting hardware look like? It didn’t come with any.

Sheesh etrailer want $51 + shipping for replacement hardware, at that price if I can't get items from the hardware store I'd almost want to get a new hitch and just try and get some cost back for the CL one I bought.

Sheesh etrailer want $51 + shipping for replacement hardware, at that price if I can't get items from the hardware store I'd almost want to get a new hitch and just try and get some cost back for the CL one I bought.
I bet you can get something like that at hardware store. Mine is up for sale, but I doubt shipping would make it worth it. Even shipping alone probably wouldn’t. It weighs 26lb and is about 39” long, something like that.

Found a good street parking spot today where I wouldn’t get run over working on the drivers side and installed the rubicon fenders. The rear ones were a PITA. The paint I did on my balcony isn’t perfect but going to tape them off and give them another coat and paint the extensions on the Jeep.

C5626F15-3192-4ECD-8D66-A667A2AC5B04.jpeg

14E7F06D-D62B-406C-A388-0FECF84DD00C.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the CB installed using the Arizona Rocky Road mount. We tried to have the wiring as neat as possible and have disconnects so i can conceal the radio when street parked, don’t want someone breaking into my Jeep for a $40 CB. Still have some general tightening and cleaning up to do. Does anyone run their coax inside the tube somehow or is ziptieing it the norm?

I haven’t tuned it get, anyone have a tuner I can quickly tune with during the May meetup?

Also switched out my old ford fan for a newer ford fan. Weirdly enough one of the blades blade occasionally hits the shroud so that’s something I’ll have to figure out.

Next hardware hunting to get the hitch installed.

42C1DC3A-72A4-4CBF-A895-2F7F3BB320E3.jpeg
70D5F7A0-0420-42F7-B265-7072BE3398AD.jpeg
A1F1257F-6B6F-4011-B939-D0E3DF67CFBC.jpeg

Got the CB installed using the Arizona Rocky Road mount. We tried to have the wiring as neat as possible and have disconnects so i can conceal the radio when street parked, don’t want someone breaking into my Jeep for a $40 CB. Still have some general tightening and cleaning up to do. Does anyone run their coax inside the tube somehow or is ziptieing it the norm?

I haven’t tuned it get, anyone have a tuner I can quickly tune with during the May meetup?

Also switched out my old ford fan for a newer ford fan. Weirdly enough one of the blades blade occasionally hits the shroud so that’s something I’ll have to figure out.

Next hardware hunting to get the hitch installed.

View attachment 39483 View attachment 39484 View attachment 39485

I might be able to persuade one of the group to bring an FRS meter so you can tune it. Looks good!

Installed my Tuffy hood lock this evening... that was so much harder than it had to be. The wiring harness you take out the tie for the screw hole has to be in the front of the lock so it doesn’t interfere. The lock piece has to be at an angle and sort of perfectly placed too or you can’t open the hood which quickly becomes a pain in figuring out. Took prob an hr and a half what should have been a 15 min job, story of my life.

49C68646-004F-4DEC-BF5F-AA1998D1D5DE.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01
Finally got around to installing my exogate, having all the parts and painted this time. Took all day due to complications with one bolt which I ended up drilling the head off it after trying everything else. Nothing like doing all this while street parked a few blocks from my apt so I had flat ground. I will say the instructions were very good though.

I also did a cheap mod to get the 3rd brake light to be visible with just spacers. With the exogate raising my tire and the inch I rose the brake light the wiring is tighter than I’d like it. Need to extend the wiring.

Last the wheel is a good way from the bumpers. Need to look around but what did other exogate 3.75 BS do?

08595031-6980-4515-B9EB-E28D5757849D.jpeg DB969477-7F70-4E20-AACF-666BCF3E3555.jpeg
41333E57-2451-4896-96AD-5381A062CF6E.jpeg
BE3078D9-9BD9-4FBF-8E61-8C9465D85F4B.jpeg 7CE57252-80A5-45E5-9E4D-62C5D99D4B50.jpeg 6DBB251B-F5D6-48F5-8C15-B94D7C6CD048.jpeg

9CB26CA5-5AD9-462D-A838-8EA244A547A6.jpeg

You could take hockey pucks and extend the bumpers out so they kiss the tire again, or grab some stock bumpers from the wreckers and cut them to add your length. You'll need longer bolts obviously.

Yeah going to try and get something done this week, might just use some PVC, finding longer bolts will be interesting as they're already long for the exogate

So yesterday after airing back up I noticed my ride was a fair bit smoother. So on a hunch when we stopped for food I checked my spare air pressure now that I have a gauge (I’d been meaning to check my tires too but never had a gas station with the good gauges)... 37 PSI. I asked the tire shop to put them at 26 :/. Curious now how much better things will run especially over some rough roads in the bay where I thought the less than stellar ride was just a Jeep thing. They are a bit louder now too but not terrible. One good side effect from the trip!

So yesterday after airing back up I noticed my ride was a fair bit smoother. So on a hunch when we stopped for food I checked my spare air pressure now that I have a gauge (I’d been meaning to check my tires too but never had a gas station with the good gauges)... 37 PSI. I asked the tire shop to put them at 26 :/. Curious now how much better things will run especially over some rough roads in the bay where I thought the less than stellar ride was just a Jeep thing. They are a bit louder now too but not terrible. One good side effect from the trip!
37 is nuts. Many shops go by what the tire states and/or at tire max psi. Just go home and lower the pressure to a reasonable psi. Good times yesterday!

37 is nuts. Many shops go by what the tire states and/or at tire max psi. Just go home and lower the pressure to a reasonable psi. Good times yesterday!

Yeah it actually wasn’t horrible but you felt it on crappy roads. I guess they don’t listen to what you tell them hah.