Low coolant temp

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
drove into town today (19 miles each way) and noticed on the way home that my temp gauge only showed about 170 degrees(estimated).
Radiator is full and levels are right in the overflow.
No check engine light, but I did try to pull codes and after cycling on-off-on 3x the odometer reads "donE" and nothing else.

Any ideas?

Only "fail-safe" thermostats are designed to fail in the open position. Standard thermostats will usually fail in the closed position but it's possible to fail in the open position too. As good as a "fail-safe" thermostat may sound, they tend to fail prematurely and too easily in the open position and aren't a good choice.

So as above, it sounds like your thermostat has failed. Replace it with a good quality 195 degree thermostat like from Stant. Stant's top-of-the-line SuperStat would be a great choice. Don't be tempted to go to a lower temperature model like a 165 or 180 degree thermostat which will NOT cause or even help your engine to run any cooler in warm or hot conditions.

Reactions: mrjp and Zorba
Mine threw a code after running a few days with a faulty thermostat, it was running about 180. I know everybody says thermostat but not getting a code might mean something else is wrong like the cluster simply isn't reading correctly. You can test it by holding down on the odometer reset when you turn the ignition on. It will cycle all the gauges, just be sure the temperature gauge cycles normally. It's easy to test and doesn't cost you anything. I don't think there's anything wrong with the other suggestions, I just would personally check some easy stuff first to make sure. I also would do a careful inspection of the cooling system, especially the thermostat housing just to see if anything is obviously messed up.