Lowering my TJ

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I'm trying to get rid of some rake and improve driveline angles. I ordered some aftermarket stock replacement springs (AC Delco). Can you tell which ones are for hardtop vs softtop???

I no longer have a hard top. Less than an inch difference but I'm glad to finally "fix" this. Installing next week.

36055140-D3CC-4997-8204-7574E1C55DF1.jpeg

I don't think Chrysler had a difference in springs between a hard top Jeep and a soft top Jeep.

Did AC Delco give you a choice between the two?
What he said. I dont see any difference in AC's springs for hard or soft top,shows X or sahara, a/c or no a/c models,variable rate or constant rate springs . I'll add ride height will be dictated by wire diameter, load carrying ability as mfg'ed and the like. That inch of length difference may not be entirely what you get ride height wise.

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
I don't think Chrysler had a difference in springs between a hard top Jeep and a soft top Jeep.

Did AC Delco give you a choice between the two?

Jeep had four front spring options and three rear spring options for 2002. Depending on specific options.

Looks like the aftermarket companies pretty much offer two different rear springs with about 200lb difference rating between the two and ~.75" height difference. Almost the same for the front springs.

Just my guess that the difference between the two would be hard top/ soft top rear and 4cyl vs 6cyl front. What else could it be???
What he said. I dont see any difference in AC's springs for hard or soft top,shows X or sahara, a/c or no a/c models,variable rate or constant rate springs . I'll add ride height will be dictated by wire diameter, load carrying ability as mfg'ed and the like. That inch of length difference may not be entirely what you get ride height wise.

I also found it very odd that they would have one specific spring pair for X and Sahara but different springs for Sport. a/c or no a/c doesn't make any sense to me either.

Can anyone think of a reason that a Sport model would spec a different spring than an X/Sahara? I think it is just a marketing error.

It looked like the AC Delco coils have the same spring rate 200lbs/inch and the only difference being the length. I didn't see anything about variable or constant rate, can you give me a link?

I knew this would sort of be a gamble when I ordered.

mmmm...flat black

Looks like the spring factory used the same method as me because I can see hanger marks in the paint. It was bare metal there. see the bottom of the spring in primer. They both had hanger marks. Made in USA at least.

8DAED4E2-AF47-4F4B-90AB-A3BEA28A84D2.jpeg

ECED0F00-7814-4E77-99DD-401447CA783C.jpeg

Disappointing results. No change.

I'm going to attribute that to putting in new coil isolators that weren't smashed down like the originals and spring sag on the old ones.

Hoping it settles down a little after sitting with some weight. I am considering getting new coils and isolators for the front axle to match before I call the entire project a failure.

Before
67209072-8BF3-4181-AADD-FDB27A54C63E.jpeg

After
53CDA9D3-6086-4D10-9DA0-00ACE30C60CB.jpeg