LQ4 6.0 Engine Swap into a 99 Tj

Jacob

as of right now I have a stock jeep 1999 Tj(pertaining to the engine bay). Well actually the only thing that has been aftermarket is a gibson exhaust/tail pipe. I also have a PSC top of the line steering box installed. I'm looking to do an engine swap in the near future and was curious as to what else I'd need. The guy i'm getting the engine from pulled it from a 2000 chevy GMC. I also will add that I have a 4L I6. Below are the parts that come with the engine itself. Help needed and would be much appreciated. This is also my first time posting on a jeep forum, as this is the first big project I ever needed assistance with.

-ALL OF THE BOLT ON ACCESSORIES: STARTER, ALTERNATOR, A/C COMPRESSOR, STEERING PUMP, ETC
-ECU (BRAIN BOX)
-WIRING HARNESS
-O2 SENSORS
-CABLE THROTTLE BODY
-AIR FLOW METER
-AIR BOX ASSEMBLY

:) Can’t go wrong with sbc! What trans do you have? Are you adapting to Jeep trans or using 4l60e? I know you will need to swap all gauges from what I’ve read on the GM swaps in the past. Aftermarket radiator and fans. New driveshafts front and rear most likely due to drivetrain movement on install. There is probably a laundry list I’m leavin out... post pics as you go I’ll definitely follow

:) Can’t go wrong with sbc! What trans do you have? Are you adapting to Jeep trans or using 4l60e? I know you will need to swap all gauges from what I’ve read on the GM swaps in the past. Aftermarket radiator and fans. New driveshafts front and rear most likely due to drivetrain movement on install. There is probably a laundry list I’m leavin out... post pics as you go I’ll definitely follow

Call me crazy, but I've had a change of heart. I've decided to go with an LS1 5.7 out of a 01 corvette and I'll be using a 4l60E tranny.

So far this is the parts list I've compiled, if you see anything wrong with it, feel free to tell me!

Engine :

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=382233598486

Engine comes complete with all belt driven accessories, starter, exhaust manifolds, MAF sensor and elbow, fuel injection,. Complete from fuel injection to oil pan. Transaxle is NOT included . Wiring harness included and ECM is included.

Novak engine mounts:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine-mounts/mmtj-g/

LS1 water pump:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...kVFrpR6wox0kPLh5cIxssTXTZoTbKkroaAnDcEALw_wcB

Stock Chevy/Gmc Pcm:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=152937269424

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I know there's a few guys with LS swaps on here, the funny thing is, those guys seem to be the ones who rarely ever post, and I suspect that most of them didn't do the swaps themselves (they paid a professional to do it), which there's nothing wrong with of course.

Your absolute best source for information on V8 swaps into the Jeep Wrangler TJ is Novak.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but just incase:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/swap-guides/chevy-buick-gm/tj-swap

Reactions: StG58 and Jacob
I know there's a few guys with LS swaps on here, the funny thing is, those guys seem to be the ones who rarely ever post, and I suspect that most of them didn't do the swaps themselves (they paid a professional to do it), which there's nothing wrong with of course.

Your absolute best source for information on V8 swaps into the Jeep Wrangler TJ is Novak.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but just incase:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/swap-guides/chevy-buick-gm/tj-swap

Thank you! I have definitely checked out Novak, which was very helpful seeing as I don't know much about cars, let alone engine swaps. This is my time to get to know my jeep and I'm more than excited to do this project. I'll be executing the swap sometime in the summer, but I first need to figure out what the heck i'm doing.

Thank you! I have definitely checked out Novak, which was very helpful seeing as I don't know much about cars, let alone engine swaps. This is my time to get to know my jeep and I'm more than excited to do this project. I'll be executing the swap sometime in the summer, but I first need to figure out what the heck i'm doing.
Like I said SBC is the ticket, I had my last tj tore apart with an om617 MB diesel already mated to a AX15 ready to install. Then I moved in the middle of it for work and lost the motivation/nerve to start hackin my Jeep up for the install. I’d say ease into it and have everything purchased and ready before pulling the trigger. Good thing with the SBC is the aftermarket support in general is amazing not to mention Jeep specific parts. If I were to swap an engine it would be an LS

I did a sbc in my YJ. It was a 4.3 Vortec EFI. But It might as well have been a 350 and in fact I was a little disappointed I didn't do the 350 in the end, but I had a 4l60-E also. I used the computer from the chevy, but put it in the stock place where the Jeep was. I used a wiring kit from Painless wiring. It was all plug and play except I had to wire up an electric fuel pump of which you won't have that problem with that in the TJ.

My biggest issue crept up when I moved to AZ. I started having over heating issues. I put in a 4 core with two electric fans and it was fine in the northwest but after moving to AZ I had a tough time keeping it cool. Make sure you plan for that.

I got the motor mounts from Advanced adaptors, and I used the stock skid plate, but had to make mods for the trans mount. I also had a SYE kit in the transfer case and a 8.8 Ford rear end.

Reactions: SpikeMaul
I found a picture:

PICT0026.JPG

Reactions: Chris and SpikeMaul
Not a lot diff between 4.3 &5.7 but after that amount of work I could see your point
Thinking a little more I remember struggling over what to do about the air filter. As you can see i kind of left it hanging in the front. I didn't ever have any issues with it, but you will do yourself a favor if you plan for that during the build.