LS V8 TJ on 1-tons

Motobilt

IMG_9570.jpg

A brand new project is in the works at Motobilt Head Quarters. An LS powered Jeep TJ on 1 ton axles and 42″ tires. Our customer brought us this really clean TJ that he had already swapped in a 5.3 LS V-8. He requested the usual hard core off road gear like the 1 ton axles, coil overs, and full hydraulic steering. His stipulation though was it needed to have a low center of gravity even with the huge tires, and work flawlessly. So the build list for this low slung LS powered beast of a TJ began:Jeep Tj 4 link kit

Jeep TJ back half kit

GM 14 bolt axle race truss

78/79 Ford Dana 60 axle truss and full hydraulic steering ram mount

42″ Pitbull Rockers

Motobilt fuel cell

We started by stripping the frame of the axles, spring mounts, and other non essential parts.
IMG_9042-768x576.jpg

Next we started on the Motobilt back half kit. This kit allows you to remove the rear section of the frame completely in order to make room for coil overs and to move the rear axle further back.
IMG_9053-768x1024.jpg

IMG_9060-768x576.jpg

We cut the frame where the upward curve begins. This will allow us to slide on the first part of the Motobilt Jeep TJ back half kit. The new frame rail sections come welded and ready to slide over the frame rails.
IMG_9055-768x576.jpg

IMG_9079-768x576.jpg

The next step to was to mock up the long straight frame rail sections and rear bumper.
IMG_9069-768x576.jpg

This TJ has a 1.5″ body lift so we didn’t have to cut the tub much but you can see where we notched the body just below the tail gate. This kit will work with no body lift but you will need to cut more in this area.
IMG_9062-768x576.jpg

You can clearly see how the frame has moved further up and no longer dips down in the back. This means when we move the rear axle back we will have the necessary room, while allowing us to keep the Jeeps height as low as possible.

On the inside of the long straight frame rails there is body mount tab with hole. This lines up with the factory body mount in the middle of the cross member.
IMG_9073-768x576.jpg

Once we had the body mount bolted in we squared up the frame with the bumper and made sure we were happy with the placement of the kit. At this point we tack welded all of the sections together. Once we were confident with the placement we removed the back half kit and full welded it on our table.
IMG_9093-768x576.jpg

We made sure to test fit the frame rails during the process to ensure nothing moved. Remember its better to check and be sure then to rush things. We then reinstalled the back half onto the Jeep.

You can see where we welded the reinforcement end caps that connect the frame rails to the bumper.
IMG_9088-768x576.jpg

IMG_9118-768x576.jpg

The massive 3/4″ thick steel d rings will provide a great recovery point in the unlikely case this TJ every does get stuck.

Next up we tackled the Motobilt Jeep TJ 4 link kit. If you are running a traditional steering box then you will run this kit with a 3 link in front but this TJ is running full hydraulic steering so we are using the full 4 link.
Stretch-and-Full-Width-82-of-19_preview-768x768.jpg

The really awesome part of the 4 link kit is how easy it is to install and the confidence in knowing it will work flawlessly. In the case of this model TJ only one bolt is used on each side to locate the skid plate system. This hole has a “tick” mark notched into the center hole.
IMG_9057-768x576.jpg

We maintain the factory ground clearance but now have an ultra smooth skid plate and transition point between the lower links and the skid plate. i.e. We removed the grappling hooks formally known as the stock control arm mounts.

The Motobilt 4 link kit gives you the room to run a factory drive train, V-8, or even in some cases a 4bt diesel. We recommend a custom cross member in all of these cases so that you can fit your ideal drive train and remove the skid plate for maintenance without having to drop the transmission/transfer case combo. We can provide you with all of the necessary parts.
IMG_9081-768x576.jpg

38837081_1754899274564525_801589103870083072_n-768x768.jpg
The Motobilt truss reinforces the axle, provides mounts for upper suspension links, and and holds a double ended hydraulic steering ram.

I'd like to see more pictures of the sub frame system and how it works.
The back half kits are offered/designed for owners who want to remove the back half of their factory frame to make room for coilovers (without notching the frame) and stretching the wheelbase with larger axles as well as room for four link components. It moves the frame rails to the botom of the tub. You will need a fuel cell mounted in the tub for this as well. And looking at the pics above, you wont need a body lift for the Motobilt back half kit.

Last edited:
The back half kits are offered/designed for owners who want to remove the back half of their factory frame to make room for coilovers (without notching the frame) and stretching the wheelbase with larger axles as well as room for four link components. It moves the frame rails to the botom of the tub. You will need a fuel cell mounted in the tub for this as well. And looking at the pics above, you wont need a body lift for the Motobilt back half kit.

I was hoping for more pictures and info on this 3 or 4 link front & 4 link rear subframe. I have looked at it before but this is the first rig I have seen it installed on. So some detail about it and how it is designed might be nice to help sell it.

Awesome Build!!!! What made you decide to go with an LS1 instead of a Hemi?

Probably because the LS is substantially cheaper, has a much bigger aftermarket community and support, and parts are much more readily available (and cheaper too). There's a reason the LS is the most common engine swap across almost any platform of vehicles :)

Awesome Build!!!! What made you decide to go with an LS1 instead of a Hemi?
Probably because the LS is substantially cheaper, has a much bigger aftermarket community and support, and parts are much more readily available (and cheaper too). There's a reason the LS is the most common engine swap across almost any platform of vehicles :)

The beginning of the video he addresses a few reasons. LS's make a lot of power, they are light, and they are cheap. Not to mention how much support there is out there for them like @Chris mentioned. TN continues inthe video to further explain a lot of technical pros when it comes to LS engines in the video.

Reactions: Chris

The beginning of the video he addresses a few reasons. LS's make a lot of power, they are light, and they are cheap. Not to mention how much support there is out there for them like @Chris mentioned. TN continues inthe video to further explain a lot of technical pros when it comes to LS engines in the video.

Thanks! Enough said. I just wondered what the LS craze was all about. I have never owned an LS engine, so I don't know. I do like my Hemi's but can understand if you can build just as good as engine for a lot less, makes total sense.