LSD for '05 Rubicon

All you can do is buy the entire LSD/locker combo used. Or get an Eaton TruTrack LSD and lose the locker. Or get a locker and lose the LSD.

After breaking two Rubicon rears, I went with ARB.

Whatever is available and will work best for not a lot of money.
Unfortunately, those two don't exist in the same product.
You can have best: a selectable locker, gears, install kit and installation for ~$2000
Or you can have not a lot of money: Torq locker for ~$360.
You can also take a chance (not recommended) on a used OEM LSD/locker.

You can have best: a selectable locker, gears, install kit and installation for ~$2000
Will a factory locker from the front dana 44 rubicon axle fit in the rear dana 44 rubicon axle w/o modification?

Will a factory locker from the front dana 44 rubicon axle fit in the rear dana 44 rubicon axle w/o modification?
I'm not positive but I seem to recall reading that a member here had used the front non-LSD locker in the rear after their rear LSD/locker failed. I don't recall what all is involved in the swap, though.

Yes it will, no problem. But you are still working with the weak OEM locker setup. It will probably be cheaper up front but lots of Rubi front lockers break too. If you have to replace the locker anyway, pony up the few extra bux for the ARB or Elocker or OX or Yukon. They are much stronger.

Reactions: jjvw
I know they aren't out much, but I've talked to a few people who speak highly of the new Auburn locker. LSD when off, fully locked when on.

I know they aren't out much, but I've talked to a few people who speak highly of the new Auburn locker. LSD when off, fully locked when on.
Auburn is a clutch style LSD that grabs hard enough to mimic a locker. Until it wears out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Auburn is a clutch style LSD that grabs hard enough to mimic a locker. Until it wears out.
I still haven't seen one that has worn out, or that slips when locked. There are worse things than replacing clutch packs every 50k miles.

I still haven't seen one that has worn out, or that slips when locked. There are worse things than replacing clutch packs every 50k miles.
Everything I've read about the Auburn locker says that it is not user serviceable. That it must be removed from the housing and sent to Auburn for a rebuild. I have also read reports that it will still slip in situations where you really need a locker. Are these Internet rumors?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Everything I've read about the Auburn locker says that it is not user serviceable. That it must be removed from the housing and sent to Auburn for a rebuild. I have also read reports that it will still slip in situations where you really need a locker. Are these Internet rumors?
I didn't know you couldn't rebuild them yourself- that sucks. I've read one or two reports from several years ago of them slipping, but the ones I've been around haven't slipped, and I haven't talked to anyone who has had one slip.

I know Genright uses them in KOTH- either that's a pretty good endorsement, or Auburn gave them a lot of $$$ to shill.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm shilling for them, I put ARBs in mine. The OP just wanted an LSD and locker combo, and the Auburn is the only thing on the market I'm aware of.

I know Genright uses them in KOTH- either that's a pretty good endorsement, or Auburn gave them a lot of $$$ to shill.

Whoever won KOH this year did it on Patagonias. They are still a garbage tire, no matter how much they paid for sponsorship.

Reactions: williambmac
Whoever won KOH this year did it on Patagonias. They are still a garbage tire, no matter how much they paid for sponsorship.

Not arguing here, I know Pats are junk- but how does a team win the most grueling offroad race in the world on shit tires? Do they just not matter that much?

They have a new one with the clutch style limited slip AND an Elocker. Looks intriguing, if it really is as they say it is.

https://auburngeardiffs.com/select-a-loc-ltd-slip-to-lock/

Still locks with a clutch pack:

"The center block also applies force to the opposite side gear (6) to compress the clutch pack (7) and provides the vehicle with a solid axle assembly that transfers 100% of the torque to both wheels, delivering maximum traction."