Lucas or Chevron fuel system additives?

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
What your guys take on fuel additives that clean injectors and such such as Lucas or chevron fuel system cleaners??

All "top tier" gasoline should have sufficient additives blended in at the refinery to render products like Lucas Fuel Treatment and Chevron Techron unnecessary in modern vehicles.

That being said, I have found both products to be useful in older vehicles and vehicles that sit idle for long periods of time. I have "restored" more than one sticky injector by soaking it in a bowl of Berryman's Chemtool B-12, and I once had an old aircooled VW Type 3 with factory Bosch fuel injection that would run noticeably better with an additive about every fifth of sixth tank of fuel - Techron worked best, then Berryman's, then Lucas. (I might not have needed the additive if I had purchased new injectors, but I was on a tight budget with that car and was using the original 38-year-old injectors.)

I do not use fuel additives in my LJ unless I have to buy more than one tank of "no name" fuel from a low volume station in a remote area and question the quality of the fuel I am buying or if I suspect that I purchased "bad gas." Maybe it helps in those situations and maybe it doesn't, but I feel better about it.

I will be carrying a few bottles of Techron fuel treatment and some yellow Heet on an upcoming 2,200 mile trip in Baja California. I will never completely trust the quality of Pemex gasoline, hence the Techron, and yellow Heet contains methanol which is an old timer's workaround for gasoline contaminated with water because alcohol holds water molecules in suspension.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
I usually use Chevron Techron when ever I can pour it in a nearly empty tank, then fill up and hit the road on a long trip Where it will run most of not all of that tank out. I do that with all my vehicles, which ends up being 1, maybe 2 times a year.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
All "top tier" gasoline should have sufficient additives blended in at the refinery to render products like Lucas Fuel Treatment and Chevron Techron unnecessary in modern vehicles.

That being said, I have found both products to be useful in older vehicles and vehicles that sit idle for long periods of time. I have "restored" more than one sticky injector by soaking it in a bowl of Berryman's Chemtool B-12, and I once had an old aircooled VW Type 3 with factory Bosch fuel injection that would run noticeably better with an additive about every fifth of sixth tank of fuel - Techron worked best, then Berryman's, then Lucas. (I might not have needed the additive if I had purchased new injectors, but I was on a tight budget with that car and was using the original 38-year-old injectors.)

I do not use fuel additives in my LJ unless I have to buy more than one tank of "no name" fuel from a low volume station in a remote area and question the quality of the fuel I am buying or if I suspect that I purchased "bad gas." Maybe it helps in those situations and maybe it doesn't, but I feel better about it.

I will be carrying a few bottles of Techron fuel treatment and some yellow Heet on an upcoming 2,200 mile trip in Baja California. I will never completely trust the quality of Pemex gasoline, hence the Techron, and yellow Heet contains methanol which is an old timer's workaround for gasoline contaminated with water because alcohol holds water molecules in suspension.

Nice. Really good advice in here!

I usually use Chevron Techron when ever I can pour it in a nearly empty tank, then fill up and hit the road on a long trip Where it will run most of not all of that tank out. I do that with all my vehicles, which ends up being 1, maybe 2 times a year.

So more of a preventive than a “fix”?

My preferred gas station has pure gas, not top tier. Occasionally I use a bottle of Techtron.

I use a couple of bottles of Heat or run 10% ethanol (top tier gas) each Fall since we get a lot of rain and humidity to ensure all water is out of the tank before the freeze.

If I know the Jeep will be sitting for more than a week I add a dose of Stabil marine. It's not necessary for just a week, but if the week turns into a month or several I'd rather not worry about it. Stabil marine also helps with water contamination.

Never saw any difference with what ever is sold at autoparts/gastation.

BG44 into fuel, sea foam into vacuum. Both worked good on my previous vehicles.
Any experience of loss of power or increase in fuel consumption? O2 sensor may be a cause

The only additive I use is for my motorcycle when it sits for 4-5 months in the winter.

One step to avoid bad gasoline is when you see the station being filled by a tanker truck, avoid it for a few days. Whatever they put in can stir up debris/water in the underground tanks. Also dont fill up your vehicle at the same time when the tanker is there for the same reasons.

The only additive I use is for my motorcycle when it sits for 4-5 months in the winter.

One step to avoid bad gasoline is when you see the station being filled by a tanker truck, avoid it for a few days. Whatever they put in can stir up debris/water in the underground tanks. Also dont fill up your vehicle at the same time when the tanker is there for the same reasons.

Lol wut?
I mean, cant argue with what you said, but you do realize how impossible that is to avoid those situations?
Some gas stations have so much traffic, they get refilled every day.
Every time you pull into one, there is a good chance that a tanker left it 5 minutes ago...

I just run it at 3500+ rpm regularly to blow out any carbon deposits.

Reactions: tworley
Its hard to know when they will fill the tanks, but the few stations I frequent I can tell when they are about to get a drop off. Pumps slow down, cones are placed at the man holes, every so often I run into them in the mornings. When I see that, I move on

Bg 44k is the fuel additive I have heard the most positive feedback on. It is more expensive but read into the positive reviews.

What your guys take on fuel additives that clean injectors and such such as Lucas or chevron fuel system cleaners??

I know some people call these things snake oil but I've used additives with good success. I've used Liqui Moly and BG44K and both improved gas mileage and performance. Liqui Moly really seems to enhance gas mileage. This is from my own personal experience.
I've also talked to an old school mechanic who specializes in Mustangs. The Mustangs from the nineties and early 2000s were notorious for building carbon up around the exposed threads of the spark plugs. The plugs were recessed into the heads and the carbon build up would bind the plug threads to the head making it impossible in some cases to get the plugs out.
When a customer would come in with this problem he would throw a can of BG44K in teh tank and tell them to go drive until empty and come back. Every time he was able to break the plug loose.

Its hard to know when they will fill the tanks, but the few stations I frequent I can tell when they are about to get a drop off. Pumps slow down, cones are placed at the man holes, every so often I run into them in the mornings. When I see that, I move on

Second this. My father-in-law delivers gas and he told me never fill up when that truck is dumping fuel into those tanks.

FI cleaning additives are big money-makers but they're not needed, really. They used to be needed when FI systems were just becoming mainstream, everyone had to add them then. I certainly did, I added Chevron Techroline to my gas maybe once a month. Then the EPA enacted new regulations like 20 years ago that mandated that all US gasolines contain enough cleaning additives to keep the FI system clean. We haven't needed additives since. Don't waste your $$$ on them even when the auto parts store guy pushes you to buy one in the bucket next to the cash register.

Reactions: mikespine
Been using Lucas for years. Jerry may be right, but I've never had a clogged injector since I've been using it either so to me it's worth the insurance.