Lug centric vs hub centric wheel spacers

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I bought two used 1 inch wheel spacers in excellent condition.
I then ran across some info saying the hub centric spacers are better spacers , apparently the hub design on hub centric spacers is a better ? more solid mount ? If that males sense..

My question is, would it be ok to run the two lug centric spacers on the rear wheels and get two new hub centric spacers for the front?

I wouldn't see a major issue in this, but I might add, if you're not worried about looks and it's more for clearance when turning. I've ran them only in the front for years without issues. I believe my spacers were hubcentric though.

Btw if you do experience unusual vibrations remove them before you get weird tire damage. You don't happen to have a battery powered impact do you? It makes quick work of that stuff, but install everything and torque everything, go for a nice few to several mile drive and check for vibrations and then re torque your wheels. If they pass that test you'll be good.

I wouldn't see a major issue in this, but I might add, if you're not worried about looks and it's more for clearance when turning. I've ran them only in the front for years without issues. I believe my spacers were hubcentric though.

Btw if you do experience unusual vibrations remove them before you get weird tire damage. You don't happen to have a battery powered impact do you? It makes quick work of that stuff, but install everything and torque everything, go for a nice few to several mile drive and check for vibrations and then re torque your wheels. If they pass that test you'll be good.
I have a big compressor so that will speed things along.

Good advice. I think I'll get 2 hub centric spacwrs for the front and torque and double check as you suggest.
I'll mount the lug centric spacers on the rear wheels and see how it goes.

Spider Trax spacer kits come with red locktite. I'd be very tempted to use some as those guys know a thing or two about axles.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Red just worries me because of needing heat to release. Technically I think there's some thread locker difference between brands as well. I don't think all red, green or blue is equal. If I was going to cover my butt I'd say red, but if I'm my own mechanic which I typically am, I don't like using a lot of red.

Reactions: KCsTJ
As long as you don't plow a ton of the stuff on there I'm sure you can bust it loose without heat. (I almost never heat the stuff I put it on) it shouldn't generally be a problem for most trail fixes but I bet you could get enough heat with one of those little butane torches in a pinch.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.