Lug nut engagement question

JWFlash

Well I finally got new wheels and tires on my 06 Golden Eagle! Yippie!

After putting them on, it looks to me that the rear studs are shorter than the front. The lug nuts on the front thread all the way flush with the stud. The back doesn't seem to thread down as far. The best I can tell is they are on about 5/8th with 3/16 of the thread remaining. Question is that enough thread engagement? From what I read the answer is maybe! Anyway....are extended thread lug nuts a good solution or are there longer studs I should get? If so...on the studs...what do I ask for when ordering?

I marked a line on the lug nut pictured below on how far it seems to thread. Maybe you can see the difference with the front and rear in the 2 other pics.

Thanks for any help/advice.
9717.jpeg
9713.jpeg
9716.jpeg

Reactions: hm2001tj
I will like to said that you will be fine, I bet is many Jeeps running like this, My 98 Sport included.
If your rims allow you to use the extended tread lug nuts, it's probably your best and easy way.

Just curious...
Can you post a pic of the whole rim with the center hub on it?

Thanks for the reply. Figured that I wasn't the only one with this issue. Wouldn't have noticed if the nuts would have been the closed end type! I ordered the extended thread nuts and will be running them until I can pull a stud out so that I can find longer ones. I will be posting pics later in the week with the new wheels and tires. I ended up with the Fuel Lethal 15x8 and 31x10.5 Goodyear Duratrac.

Thanks for the reply. Figured that I wasn't the only one with this issue. Wouldn't have noticed if the nuts would have been the closed end type! I ordered the extended thread nuts and will be running them until I can pull a stud out so that I can find longer ones. I will be posting pics later in the week with the new wheels and tires. I ended up with the Fuel Lethal 15x8 and 31x10.5 Goodyear Duratrac.
Happy to Help!
I do still looking for a longer studs for mine, once I found someones on O'Raileys but end u been the same length and not deal with it anymore. pretty sure have some options out there. Someone around here will chime on.

Nice Rims!
I do ask as we are looking for some Rims options and this seem quite the directions we may go.

I had a 2006 Rubicon some years ago that I encountered the same issue. I discovered it when I was taking off the Spidertrax wheel spacers it had on it. I bought some new Ten Factory chromoly axle shafts for the rear, and the rear hubs got removed from the oem axle shafts and pressed on to the new axle shafts. When I went to put everything back on, the lug nuts for the Spidertrax spacers did not thread on as far as on the front, just as you described.

What I believe happened is the previous owner replaced the rear hubs/rotors/axles with a set from a non-Rubicon Dana 44 axle, which has drum brakes. In that instance, the wheel studs are different for a hub with disk brakes vs. drum brakes. I lived with it until I sold the Rubicon, but was seriously considering replacing the studs with longer ones.

Got the new extended thread lug nuts and they seem to do the trick. I did pull off one of the wheels and made sure that they did not come out the back of the rim. Look closely and you can see the rust forming!
9781.jpeg
9780.jpeg