Lug Nuts

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
Ok so I decided I needed to replace the mix-matched, peeling plasti-dipped lug nuts the PO had on the jeep. Got online and ordered a set of those splined lug nuts from Quadratec (I know, I know!)
Anyway, apparently what I got are these "small" diameter lug nuts. Are these things safe to use? I mean, it seems like they are barely bigger in diameter than the hole itself.
Don't really feel like sending them back so I may sell them on CL if they aren't the right ones.

I'm not familiar with the Quadratec lug nuts but I bought some (4) from the dealership. Never again! They're a nut with a thin chrome (?) cap glued on them. The caps got stuck in my socket and then separated from the nut. Absolute garbage.

I bought "McGard" brand nuts for much less and they seem to be OK. Size is 1/2"-20 and the part # is 64010. About $12 for 4 nuts.

McGard makes the best ones I've ever used and they get the best reviews too, especially when compared to Gorilla which I believe are made in China. They aren't the cheap cap and nut style and the finishes on them whether they're chrome or black seem to hold up well.

Unfortunately, I bought a 23 piece McGard non-locking lug nut kit 4 years ago and it's been discontinued so we have to buy them in the smaller individual or 4-piece kits.

These are going on CL tonight. It would cost me about $15 to return them so it's not worth it.
They "seem" to be decent quality, but they just don't have enough bite on the rim for my comfort level.

I put mcgards on my wife's method wheels, hex head, 3/4" chrome socket fits in the hole, a impact socket won't. McGard also sells a 5 piece locking lug set for skinny holes if you need it. Gorilla wrench sells a breaker bar with a short extension, 3/4" & 13/16" sockets in one kit, kind of handy.