Luk clutch too small?

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m told by my mechanic of many years that the Luk clutch is physically too small. They’ve got the “heavy duty” version. Is that the one I want?

The part number for the “heavy duty” Luk clutch (that doesn’t fit) is 05-901.
The part number I have for another clutch by Luk is 05-065.

You were told wrong. The standard Luk 05-065 kit is exactly what your TJ uses and it's good for 200k miles even with some pretty strenuous abuse. It's physically no smaller than the heavy-duty version which is made for trucks that commonly use the same transmission.

You were told wrong. The standard Luk 05-065 kit is exactly what your TJ uses and it's good for 200k miles even with some pretty strenuous abuse. It's physically no smaller than the heavy-duty version which is made for trucks that commonly use the same transmission.

Excellent. It looks like they ordered the “heavy duty” version thinking that would be better. These are good guys trying to do a good job.

@Jerry Bransford Thank you so much. I’m two minutes you saved me a lot of hassle.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Excellent. It looks like they ordered the “heavy duty” version thinking that would be better. These are good guys trying to do a good job.

@Jerry Bransford Thank you so much. I’m two minutes you saved me a lot of hassle.
I've also seen where the HD version received a few comments about it being noisier than the standard 05-065.

Reactions: LJDC
There is always a chance of a kit being mis marked. The pressure plate will have numbers on it and your tech can call Luk and confirm what they received.

Reactions: L J
I've also seen where the HD version received a few comments about it being noisier than the standard 05-065.

If I’d thought it through, I probably should have asked you about the part number when you first recommended the clutch. It was a mistake to assume. To be fair, the mechanic was doing what he thought I would want. They’re stand-up guys.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The "heavy duty" LuK 05-901 has the same OD as the standard LuK part. The extra disc material is on the ID of the material. Whether or not you need this added friction surface is debatable. The "heavy duty" LuK 05-901 is as quiet as the OEM Sachs clutch that I replaced.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I’m told by my mechanic of many years that the Luk clutch is physically too small. They’ve got the “heavy duty” version. Is that the one I want?

The part number for the “heavy duty” Luk clutch (that doesn’t fit) is 05-901.
The part number I have for another clutch by Luk is 05-065.

How does it not fit? It's made to fit the same flywheel as your Jeep. I have the 05-901. As stated by L J, it's the same OD but a smaller ID for a thicker band of friction material. It works just like stock but has a higher torque rating.

Reactions: L J
The "heavy duty" LuK 05-901 has the same OD as the standard LuK part. The extra disc material is on the ID of the material. Whether or not you need this added friction surface is debatable. The "heavy duty" LuK 05-901 is as quiet as the OEM Sachs clutch that I replaced.

I’m not sure what happened. Maybe they mistook something as being “too small” that wasn’t. But I’m ending up with the part I intended to get, so all’s well that ends well. And if the Jeep lasts long enough to outlive this clutch, I’ll be pretty happy about it.

The new Luk clutch, part no. 05-065, is now installed and working well. I can feel a huge difference. I had probably been getting used to the stiff clutch for a while. This is 100 times better.

I’m leaving this here in case anyone finds this thread later by searching (as I have found others many times) and wants to know how it came out. And also to say thank you to everyone for the kind and expert help: Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack
I was recently told that the Mopar replacement clutch is part number 52-104732AC. Does anyone know if this is a rebranded Luk clutch, or it's something else? I think this one may be for a JK.