M.O.R.E. steering shaft bracket too tall

I think they got some bad brackets. We know the bolts were the correct size as I reused the nuts. They are probably as produced from a third party and they got some bad ones, maybe?
We could probably have some people measure the height of their brackets and see if they are the same as ours.

The odd part is though you posted a picture showing how short the stock bracket is and everyone else said theirs were taller..

Reactions: Steel City 06
The odd part is though you posted a picture showing how short the stock bracket is and everyone else said theirs were taller..
Original equipment 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder steering shaft brackets are different heights. The 4-cylinder bracket is much shorter than the 6-cylinder bracket...

Last edited:
Original equipment 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder steering shaft brackets are different heights. The 4-cylinder bracket is much shorter than the 6-cylinder bracket...
I understand that but I also bought the 4 cylinder bracket which M.O.R.E. says is a one inch lift but it’s actually a 1 3/4 inch higher. It still doesn’t add up.

I understand that but I also bought the 4 cylinder bracket which M.O.R.E. says is a one inch lift but it’s actually a 1 3/4 inch higher. It still doesn’t add up.
I understand what you’re saying now. That does sound odd. Maybe the M.O.R.E. bracket has went through a couple redesigns. I’m really not sure...

Yes they are. But the bend for mounting is also bent the other way. And the bearing mounting holes are the same, so that doesn’t explain the holes being too small.

Yes they are. But the bend for mounting is also bent the other way. And the bearing mounting holes are the same, so that doesn’t explain the holes being too small.
Yes true. Very odd situation a few people are having with these brackets...

Are you 100% sure you need this bracket? I don’t know any that run it, 4” suspension, 1” BL and mostly above average builds across the TJ years.
No, it did not make a noticeable difference. It helped with ujoint angles and was worth a try.

Reactions: rasband
No, it did not make a noticeable difference. It helped with ujoint angles and was worth a try.
Same. I was putting in the PSC kit so while working on the steering I thought why not add this bracket just in case it helps marginally. Or at the least takes some of the strain off of the ujoints to make them last longer.

So it’s not a big deal but I am curious why we are having issues when most other people are not.

I think I may have the opposite situation going on. I do not have a body lift, but my steering shaft is very high in the firewall hole and no matter how much lithium grease I put on there, it still moans during turns.

There were a few other things installed from the PO that leads me to believe the Jeep may have been lifted in the past, and I'm wondering if I have a Riser Bracket installed already, and since I don't have a lift it's causing the steering shaft to be too high.

Looking at M.O.R.E.'s site, it lists the following dimensions (I have a 1998 4.0L) that they describe as "The base mount to center of steering shaft":
  1. BLTJ97SBK-4 is 4.3" tall
  2. BLTJ97PBB is 5" tall
  3. BLTJ97SBK is 3.68 tall
Seems that #1 is for the 2.5L, 4 Cyl, and #3 is for the 4.0L, 6 Cyl. I can't figure out what #2 is for.

Last night, I measured mine and was getting about 4.5" (it was installed, so that's not a perfect measurement, but damn close). Seems pretty close to the 2.5L version.

So, for those of you that still have a stock bracket from a 4.0L laying around, what is the OEM dimension supposed to be? Below is an example of the measurement I took (top of the bottom side of the bracket, to the middle of the shaft).

1623333777140.png

I think I may have the opposite situation going on. I do not have a body lift, but my steering shaft is very high in the firewall hole and no matter how much lithium grease I put on there, it still moans during turns.

There were a few other things installed from the PO that leads me to believe the Jeep may have been lifted in the past, and I'm wondering if I have a Riser Bracket installed already, and since I don't have a lift it's causing the steering shaft to be too high.

Looking at M.O.R.E.'s site, it lists the following dimensions (I have a 1998 4.0L) that they describe as "The base mount to center of steering shaft":
  1. BLTJ97SBK-4 is 4.3" tall
  2. BLTJ97PBB is 5" tall
  3. BLTJ97SBK is 3.68 tall
Seems that #1 is for the 2.5L, 4 Cyl, and #3 is for the 4.0L, 6 Cyl. I can't figure out what #2 is for.

Last night, I measured mine and was getting about 4.5" (it was installed, so that's not a perfect measurement, but damn close). Seems pretty close to the 2.5L version.

So, for those of you that still have a stock bracket from a 4.0L laying around, what is the OEM dimension supposed to be? Below is an example of the measurement I took (top of the bottom side of the bracket, to the middle of the shaft).

View attachment 258405
My more bracket had bolts that mount the pillow bearing. My stock unit has studs welded to the bracket that mount the bearing.

Just throwing this out there:
My MORE bracket was 1.25" taller and it did push the steering shaft a little into the top of the hole but most of that was the bushing kinda binding up, so i reached under the dash and pushed it out a little. I really don't have enough drive time to know if this will cause any odd wear in that area, but it's something that I will be keeping an eye on if I can remember.
As far as any gains, nothing more than a placebo feeling of "better".

My more bracket had bolts that mount the pillow bearing. My stock unit has studs welded to the bracket that mount the bearing.
That's a good point. I've had mine off before since I've changed my steering shaft, and I seem to remember the bolts were attached to the bracket. I'll double check that.

I'd still be curious if someone has the OEM measurement though.

Yeah, that's very helpful. The angle of the pic is throwing me off a little, is that 5" to that top screw in the second picture? Is this from a 4.0L?
Yeah the bracket is an odd angle to capture. it is from a 4.0. Here’s another pic. The 5 inch mark seems to hit around the center of that upper circle.

image.jpg