Made in America—finding products (jack stands)?

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
This whole coronavirus horseshit has caused me to rethink where I spend my money. Like most people I’m lazy & I typically just look for what I need without much consideration for where it comes from, but I’m beginning to see its origin as a bigger factor, and for reasons that go beyond the quality, or lack thereof, of the product. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me to continue supporting a country that’s at a minimum negligent in their conduct towards the world & more than likely reckless if not fully & intentionally punitive. China’s ‘mishandling’ of information surrounding this virus makes clear that the safety of people outside its own borders is not a consideration much less a priority. It’s not like we’re learning this for the first time, but this incident has really sent the message home to me in a most dramatic form.

My first opportunity to make a necessary purchase comes on the heels of the Harbor Freight 6-ton jack stand recall. Yesterday I returned the set I bought a few years ago & got the $43 gift card. I figured I’d use it for something I need in the future, something that has no safety implications, and the thought of using it for ‘improved’ replacement jack stands made in China is not something I’m considering. I read @Jerry Bransford 's fuel truck story on the Harbor Freight thread that’s intended to assure us that they won’t make that mistake again & while I’m sure there’s some merit to that it’s hardly the point. Yes, perhaps they’ll pay extra special attention to not screwing us again with bad jack stands but there’s a million & one other ways they can and more importantly will if it suits their purposes. Bottom line is I’ve lost any/all trust I have in that nation, for many reasons, and while I’m aware that there are certain things I’ll have no choice but to buy from them as they’re the only producer, I do intend henceforth to go out of my way to give as much of my business to companies that manufacture products in the United States first, or other countries that have proven their trustworthiness; Japan comes to mind. I’m old enough to remember when “Made in Japan” was a bad thing but now I’d go out of my way to buy something made there as it has very much come to symbolize products that are not only well made but in many cases better than those made here.

Like many I find it difficult to even identify the origin of many products as the sellers often hide or at least obscure that information for obvious reasons, it’s not a selling point to boldly state “Made in China”. I also understand that this isn’t a capability issue & that China indeed has the ability to make excellent products but most often they make garbage because that’s what we want to pay for. That said I return to the virus & simply cannot ignore the true colors they have shown the world; knowing that at the end of the day they’ll screw all of humanity on such an epic scale they’ve lost all trust. I’m no zealot, they can regain that trust, but they’ve got a helluva long road to travel to do so.

All of that said, does anyone know where I can get a pair of American made pin-style jack stands? I really like that design much better than the other type which always seemed flimsy & dangerous to me regardless of where they’re made.

Are there any sources or websites that assist in finding American made products?

Last edited:
This whole coronavirus horseshit has caused me to rethink where I spend my money.

All of that said, does anyone know where I can get a pair of American made pin-style jack stands? I really like that design much better than the other type which always seemed flimsy & dangerous to me regardless of where they’re made.

Are there any sources or websites that assist in finding American made products?
This sums up exactly what's going to happen. At the end, we will rely on them for cheap stuff. It's the economics of life.

I wouldn't hold my breath to find a source of us made tools outside of snapon or matco. So expect to sell a kidney. Craftsmen is gone.

Chinese made products are in general significantly higher quality than they were 10 years ago.

Also, I've no reason to believe anything the media says to be true regarding the virus or anything else for that matter. It's all 100% lies; even when its truth, the message is corrupted by woven in lies that are essential to the overall narrative the media creates.

Think about it. Why would the moneyed elite build a multitrillion dollar international media machine with thousands of employees for the soul purpose of informing a slacked jawed yokel like me of what's happening in the world?

They wouldn't. It's all about the false narrative to push a political agenda. China isn't our enemy, Iran isn't our enemy, coronavirus isn't our enemy, but ignorance is.

That being said...

I have always had great luck with made in Taiwan products as far as manufacturing, quality control, and price are concerned.

My opinion is that "made in india" is the new "made in china".

Not pin type but US made

930ED332-F00A-47F8-BE36-2F6AA0100A1C.jpeg

My Hein-Werner jack and jackstands are US made. Since I purchased them, I heard China bought out Hein-Werner (not sure its true) but still make them in the US at the same plant.

Also, I've no reason to believe anything the media says to be true regarding the virus or anything else for that matter. It's all 100% lies; even when its truth, the message is corrupted by woven in lies that are essential to the overall narrative the media creates.

Think about it. Why would the moneyed elite build a multitrillion dollar international media machine with thousands of employees for the soul purpose of informing a slacked jawed yokel like me of what's happening in the world?

They wouldn't. It's all about the false narrative to push a political agenda. China isn't our enemy, Iran isn't our enemy, coronavirus isn't our enemy, but ignorance is.

I don’t believe the media as far as I can throw them either, but one thing I think you’ve got ass backwards is that this media machine is as in love with China as it was with Obama and this story isn’t helping China’s image one bit, so that part of your analysis simply makes no sense. There is no question that they did little to nothing to stop outgoing travel of citizens to the rest of the world that were or may have been infected after they knew what was happening. So fuck them with prejudice. Again, and I’ll repeat it, it’s not just about their shoddy products, of course we get exactly what we want from them and we haven’t demanded any better so they keep giving us crap, all I’m saying is I don’t want it anymore. I’m not a materialistic person by nature, my house isn’t filled to the gills with crap because I have an urge to buy shit I don’t need like so many other nitwits out there, my ex-wife strongly included. My purchases have always been very limited and thoughtful with great consideration as to whether it’s truly something I need, though not as much of that consideration was given to origin. The first time my girlfriend brought her kids to my house to visit they remarked to her afterwards that my house looks like a serial killer lives there (because it’s so spartanly adorned). What I’m saying is I’m in a position to seek out and find things not made there and to pay the much higher price for those things. It simply makes no sense to me to reward a country that behaves as China does. If/when they get their shit together I’ll gladly reconsider as I’m also practical.

Getting back to Japan as an example, their stuff was cheap crap when I was a kid, it was synonymous with a joke. However, they figured out a way to not only produce excellent products but also very reasonably priced products, in many cases both higher quality and cheaper than we could produce here. So it’s not an all or nothing analysis, we don’t have to either accept cheap crap from China or pay through the nose so they’ll make it better. China, like Japan before them, will have to learn how to produce cheap and well-made products.

Not pin type but US made

View attachment 164375

I did happen upon those in my search, I've been searching for hours now & I can't find pin-style stands that are made here, including the Hein-Werner which appears to be made in Asia and Denmark.

Although it's still a rachet vs. pin style I do like how the US Jack engages two teeth rather than one, seems far safer; they're also lighter at 32lbs a pair; the pin-style are closer to 40lbs each which could be a pain in the ass to work with.

At the end of the day this particular purchase is a safety issue. Has anyone use US Jack stands? I'm open for any suggestions, with the above considerations in mind.

The first time my girlfriend brought her kids to my house to visit they remarked to her afterwards that my house looks like a serial killer lives there (because it’s so spartanly adorned).

At the end of the day this particular purchase is a safety issue. Has anyone use US Jack stands? I'm open for any suggestions, with the above considerations in mind.
When interacting with modern women I always try to present myself as an aloof sociopath. I feel it's just good policy, considering the brutal feminist regime we live under.

I've been pondering if it would also be good practice to place a brick or block of wood under the stem of the jackstand with a small gap between the block and stem so if the pin/teeth mechanism fails the vehicle will only fall a short distance.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I fully understand Westtown Willy's thoughts on all this and feel the same way but I'm not too sure I'd prefer the pin style stands even if I worked for the local company that made them. There still are a couple floating around that I grew up with and all Iknow is that their height adjustment is about 1 1/2 inch steps, they always seem to be stuck when adjusting them and they're made of some heavy formed sheet metal. For some reason they don't even match in height or where the pin goes but that's my dad's fault. Everything was made in America back in the 1960s but being the cheap ass guy he was when it came to spending money, I'm sure he only needed one the first time.

"Cheap, Fast, Good" You can have any two...

As for "Hecho en China", I've been sick of their crap for many years now, and could tell a bunch of boring stories. Its hard to find anything that isn't made there. When I was a kid, China was known by all as "Red China", and nothing has changed in that regard since then. COSCO is owned by the Chinese military...

"Cheap, Fast, Good" You can have any two...

As for "Hecho en China", I've been sick of their crap for many years now, and could tell a bunch of boring stories. Its hard to find anything that isn't made there. When I was a kid, China was known by all as "Red China", and nothing has changed in that regard since then. COSCO is owned by the Chinese military...
Oh come the heck on!

China today is nothing like red 1960s china. Chinese people today have freedoms the we dont. Think about that.

Nkorea is 1960s china, trump had his hands on that change. Is it good or bad for us, tho?

I fully understand Westtown Willy's thoughts on all this and feel the same way but I'm not too sure I'd prefer the pin style stands even if I worked for the local company that made them. There still are a couple floating around that I grew up with and all Iknow is that their height adjustment is about 1 1/2 inch steps, they always seem to be stuck when adjusting them and they're made of some heavy formed sheet metal.

the more I look at these that issue has occurred to me, most seem to be minimum of 2 inch adjustments which seems to be a lot. The other issue for me is their weight.

I found this article which confirms what I'm finding, that the only US made stands are "US Jacks". Regardless of the title of this thread, it's no so much about buying American as it is about not buying Chinese, and that's a damn tall order for the whole world, not just us. I found the below article which pretty much confirms US Jacks being the only game in town here. I like the description, the price is also fine by me. Unless something else presents itself soon I'll pull the trigger on a pair of them, it's only a matter of time before I need to use them & having dropped off the recalled set yesterday I'm left only with an old 3-ton set I've had forever & can't remember where I even got them; took a look at the sticker & sure enough they're from China too. Man we handed over the keys to the kingdom oh so long ago.

https://allgaragefloors.com/best-jack-stands/

Ordered on Monday and they arrived today, not bad for a holiday week. Total was $180 & change with shipping. All I can say from inspecting them is that they are much nicer that the Harbor Freight garbage they replaced. The two tooth locking mechanism appears to be a far better design than the standard one tooth jack stand & the unlocking mechanism whatever it's called doubles as a handle, something the standard ones don't have. Yea it was 3 & 1/2 times the price but wft, you only live once & although I can think of worse ways to go than dying under my TJ, I'd rather not check out just yet:

IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4908.JPG

and none too soon, if the weather holds I'll be heading to the mountains this weekend to get her dirty, afterwards I had planned on pulling the wheels & giving all the brakes a good cleaning, now I've got something to hold'r up :p

Looks like you may have gotten the last stands US Jack sold!
They are no longer listed on their website and all of the listings on Amazon state "not currently available". Too bad that the last truly US made stands that didn't come with a ridiculously exaggerated price went the way of the dodo.