Mahindra Roxor news

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
That's crap. FCA doesn't make anything like the Roxor, and hasn't for decades. They're too busy adding smartphones to Jeeps to make anything like it!

Reactions: Tob and Chris
I can sort of see both sides to be honest. Mahindra got rights to make essentially a CJ, but not in America. FCA has inherited those rights here. I think if FCA really wanted to go after them they would have filed suit for more than just the grill. But at the same time why can't Mahindra take their current product and sell it here as is? Not to mention what @Zorba is saying.
🤷‍♂️

Reactions: reddvltj
Seems silly to me. I’d rather have one of these than a new Fiat anyways.

Reactions: TJ2
Shit like this just fascinates the fuck out of me. By and large everyone on this site fully recognizes why all the crap from Harbor Freight looks like it does. That's right, it looks like a Snap-on, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. because they know that looking like something well known and good is far better than coming up with your own unique look because you can't piggy back onto the reputation and marketing that has been bought and paid for over the decades. Knock offs are just that and the Roxor looks like it does to do just that.

Mahindra needs to fuck right off. If you believe in your product and it's merits, quit hanging from Jeep's ball sack and jump out there with your own damn design and get after it. The public will let you know if you are a bunch of fuck-ups in short order.

Don't fucking lie. You'd jizz all over yourself if they parked a Mojave edition JT in your driveway on 35's.
1592146933732.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: AMS417 and Hog
Shit like this just fascinates the fuck out of me. By and large everyone on this site fully recognizes why all the crap from Harbor Freight looks like it does. That's right, it looks like a Snap-on, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. because they know that looking like something well known and good is far better than coming up with your own unique look because you can't piggy back onto the reputation and marketing that has been bought and paid for over the decades. Knock offs are just that and the Roxor looks like it does to do just that.

Mahindra needs to fuck right off. If you believe in your product and it's merits, quit hanging from Jeep's ball sack and jump out there with your own damn design and get after it. The public will let you know if you are a bunch of fuck-ups in short order.
Eloquently put Mr Blaine and I agree, to many company’s make look a likes or copies to sell products based on someone else’s success, I guess its the way of the world but I don’t like it either!

Eloquently put Mr Blaine and I agree, to many company’s make look a likes or copies to sell products based on someone else’s success, I guess its the way of the world but I don’t like it either!
The reason that it fascinates me is with rare exception that I have ever run across, there are two groups on opposite sides in these situations. The first group is the "whatever, FCA sucks", who cares, competition is good for the consumer, and so on. The second group has come up with original ideas, put them on the market with varying degrees of success, had them copied at times, never fairly, and they are the fuck Mahindra group.

Reactions: Ericict and Hog

A lot of people don't know that Mahindra has been making basically the CJ under contract since the 40s. They started under contract with Willys to make them in India. I don't think it's a knock off.
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/mahindra-history
Edit: maybe there's more to the story than is listed on Mahindra's page. Did their designs closely tail Jeep for a while after the contract was up or something like that? And I don't want to imply that you're ignorant of the history, am just trying to fill in the gaps. Please school me 🙂

Last edited:
A lot of people don't know that Mahindra has been making basically the CJ under contract since the 40s. They started under contract with Willys to make them in India. I don't think it's a knock off.
https://www.roxoroffroad.com/mahindra-history

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-world-of-mahindra-jeeps.22678/

I very much like Mahindra as a brand since I grew up in India. They were such a common sight, esp in rural towns when I was younger. But @mrblaine is right - the Roxor is an obvious intentional choice by Mahindra for tapping into the US 4x4 market. They can, and should make something better if they want to make the point that they are as good as FCA.

Reactions: Hog and thomat65
Is FCA allowed to sell the Wrangler in India? Or would that be viewed similar to how many see Mahindra entering the US market? I'm really not incredibly familiar with the whole situation. It just interests me because I saw one on the road the other day and because they're making them here in Michigan.

Is FCA allowed to sell the Wrangler in India? Or would that be viewed similar to how many see Mahindra entering the US market? I'm really not incredibly familiar with the whole situation. It just interests me because I saw one on the road the other day and because they're making them here in Michigan.

The JK unlimited was the first model that they started importing to India. It's really very expensive over there and they don't sell much. I just saw news the other day that they will sell JL unlimited later this year. The price point is pretty ridiculous and most people who do buy "Jeeps" will get the Mahindra Thar (or whatever it's current equivalent is, haven't kept up with models). It's essentially India's G-wagon in the sense that only the very rich been afford it.

The other Jeep SUVs are starting to get popular, but the attraction is mostly related to it being a status symbol.

There is a good tradition of keeping old Mahindra Jeeps alive in some parts of the country. The older ones all had mostly diesel engines and were built without too much complications.

Reactions: thomat65
There is a good tradition of keeping old Mahindra Jeeps alive in some parts of the country. The older ones all had mostly diesel engines and were built without too much complications.

We should not complicate things but here comes the technology crap that automotive manufacturers are heading to and there is no reversal.

Reactions: Zorba
We should not complicate things but here comes the technology crap that automotive manufacturers are heading to and there is no reversal.
Reversal is to buy a new jt or jl and rip out all the unnecessary electronics and sell the shit on craigslist then use the money to buy your favorite version of angry birds grill, it seems.

61MguQ2BsjL._SL1000_.jpg

• Dislike
Reactions: TJ2

Technology in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. My main gripe today is that there is no way to opt out. That and how everything seems to be "bundled". I understand that it makes manufacturing easier and increases profits for manufacturers, but the increasingly integrated cars that are sold today has me question vehicle longevity in general. The base level cars do run well and are pretty comfortable, but they also have gotten expensive. I also feel that modern car styling had evolved to a point where it doesn't excite me, including Jeeps. I think I'm just getting old.

I am rather (in)famous for my anti-technology rants. I made my living from my teenaged years all the way through to (early) retirement in the "high technology" field - I really don't have a problem with technology when it makes sense and improves my life. Car tech ain't it. I was an avid subscriber to "Automobile" magazine from just after its inception until 2016 - when I wrote them a letter wishing them well, but that I was no-longer interested in new cars because of all the expensive, unreliable, and un-necessary "technology".

Yes - the "package mentality" of the North American automotive market is a huge part of the problem as well. Its my understanding that elsewhere in the world, ordering a car by LINE ITEM is the norm. Packages are now killing the cable TV business as consumers opt to stream by essentially "line item" instead of having to buy 100 channels you don't want to get the 2 that you do. I'm hoping the same happens to the car business.

The only "technology" I want in a car is A/C and cruise control. I don't want effete affectations such as all the power crap, automatic transmissions, computerized "driver assist" crap, I detest leather and loathe power seats, and most of all I don't want a gigantic i-Phone on my dashboard or some kind of subscription plan I have to pay for. Full disclosure: I am a smartphone refusenik as well. Most overpriced, crippled, useless gadget ever devised.

What really gripes me is the cost of the electronics. I'll be the first to admit that the now universal computer controlled engines run and cold start a lot better than the "good old days". The computer costs $100 or less to make, but is priced obscenely when you have to replace it - and you WILL have to replace it sooner or later. Long term, electronics are NOT reliable, I've fixed enough to know this. Never mind the bug ridden software that is found in everything these days, with latency, latency, latency everywhere. The code monkeys grinding this crap out apparently not only didn't pass CS-101, many obviously didn't even *take* CS-101. Examples are legion. Adding a microprocessor to everything whether or not it actually benefits from one is just crazy. Adding a touch screen to a car is ludicrous, even the CarCos are starting to figure this out and the "safetycrats" are having a field day on this subject!

Thus I consider the Roxor to be a pretty much perfect vehicle!

Blah, blah, blah - I could go on for days - I'll try to shutup and not bore everybody (including myself)!