Maintenance for a newly acquired TJ?

Jeffery

Just purchased my first Jeep TJ. It is a 2001 with 95k miles. All seems to work well and functions fine. However, as with all new mechanical purchases, we like to do a baseline maintenance for the peace of mind in knowing when it was done. Some helpful folks already pointed me in the direction of the service manual download. I am a moderate to advanced wrench tuner so I would like to start with basic tune up. The first thing on my list was spark plugs and while reading, I learned about the 3 coil rail system in place. This begs the question, is the coil rack something that should be replaced or reused? I am of the mind that repairs are better made in the garage under a controlled environment as opposed to along side the road. So I thought I would put a question to the group:

What basic maintenance would you do upon a new purchase like this?

One thing for sure is a flushing of the coolant system. I bought the Jeep in Florida and had her shipped to Minnesota..so I know this is a big one. I am interested in any little nuance that would save me time and trips to the parts store!

Spark plugs
Drive belt
Flush Coolant
Flush transfer case?

What else would you do?

F/R Diff fluid change, Tranny fluid flush if an auto (there is a write up) or change the gear oil if manual. No need to change coil pack/rail if no issues. wash out the frame rails to get any FL sand out so it won't trap the MN salt.

Reactions: Alex01
My 2006 TJ Rubicon now has 93k miles on it (I bought it at 70k). Are there things I should consider replacing that might start to cause problems about now? I have recently replaced the water pump, OPDA, driveshaft universals, and a few other things. I installed Currie control arms a short while ago so the bushings are good. I am wondering about things like wheel bearings, front axle universals, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I have no known problems or unusual noises. What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I am wondering about things like wheel bearings, front axle universals, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I have no known problems or unusual noises. What do you think?

We have a term for that. "Recreational maintenance"

If you don't have a problem i would not replace anything.
There is no way of knowing if the new parts will last any longer then the old parts.

Unless they are free parts..... i love free.

Reactions: inkedrose