Maintenance Schedule B

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Do most of you follow Maintenance Schedule B? Also, how often do you really change oil? Are K&N oil filters the best? How often do you rotate your tires?

I change the oil on my 2005 TJ every 3000 miles and rotate tires every 6000. This makes it easier to keep track of tire rotation by doing every other oil change.

On my 2012 Kia Sportage that's using synthetic I go 7500 miles, but that is a modern engine.

I change the oil on my 2005 TJ every 3000 miles and rotate tires every 6000. This makes it easier to keep track of tire rotation by doing every other oil change.

On my 2012 Kia Sportage that's using synthetic I go 7500 miles, but that is a modern engine.
So, on a modern engine, like my 2014 Yukon, which I run a full synthetic, I can go longer without changing oil than on my TJ? Correct?

I've become kind of an oil filter guy over the years, K&N is just one of the bunch of overpriced filters that is no better than anything else. My three go-to filters are the AC-Delco Duraguard, Purolator PureOne, and, gasp yes, the Fram Tough Guard. Fram's Tough Guard is actually a much better oil filter than some of the high priced oil filters.

My oil change interval is every 5k miles. To me, every 3k miles is excessive and just something that was started by Jiffylube who used that recommendation to get people to change their oil more often to make more $$$.

So, on a modern engine, like my 2014 Yukon, which I run a full synthetic, I can go longer without changing oil than on my TJ? Correct?
NO!!! Synthetic and conventional motor oils absorb dirt, combustion byproducts, and naturally occurring acids at exactly the same rates and because of that need the same change intervals. Companies like Amsoil are scamming people like crazy with such claims that if adhered to is just harmful to engines.

Synthetic oils may technically last longer if there's no dirt, combustion byproducts, or acids in them but they get just as dirty just as fast.

Reactions: Michael Roberson
I've become kind of an oil filter guy over the years, K&N is just one of the bunch of overpriced filters that is no better than anything else. My three go-to filters are the AC-Delco Duraguard, Purolator PureOne, and, gasp yes, the Fram Tough Guard. Fram's Tough Guard is actually a much better oil filter than some of the high priced oil filters.

My oil change interval is every 5k miles. To me, every 3k miles is excessive and just something that was started by Jiffylube who used that recommendation to get people to change their oil more often to make more $$$.

@Jerry Bransford do you think advances in oil technology plays a part in this?

I've always changed every 3,000 miles, maybe I am brainwashed. :(

I'm learning that the same principles apply here that apply in my area of expertise, brainwashing abounds...it really takes someone in-the-know to cut through all the CRAP! Thanks Jerry, I'll save a little dough after I use up my K&N oil filters...

Reactions: FTI76
I write the miles I change the oil at on a piece of duct tape with a felt tip pen and stick it in the engine compartment.

NO!!! Synthetic and conventional motor oils absorb dirt, combustion byproducts, and naturally occurring acids at exactly the same rates and because of that need the same change intervals. Companies like Amsoil are scamming people like crazy with such claims that if adhered to is just harmful to engines.

Synthetic oils may technically last longer if there's no dirt, combustion byproducts, or acids in them but they get just as dirty just as fast.

What benefit would there be for Amsoil saying full synthetics don't need to be changed as often conventional oils? They would sell less oil (though a full synthetic is higher price, it is not proportionally higher relative to the change frequency/price of conventional oil).

:campeon:

OK, I will shift to 5,000 miles and if my engine explodes I will send you the bill :)
Interesting piece of trivia... back in the 50's when I was a young boy, I distinctly remember magazine ads by both Volvo and Mercedes Benz. Of course those were the days before synthetic motor oils were sold by the auto parts stores. Those ads were based on customers who had over one million miles on their odometers with the same engines the factory installed. On conventional single-weight motor oils like 30 weight. There were no multi-weight oils sold in the auto stores back then.

It's not the oil that is the difference in how long our engines last, it is just the simple regular changing of that oil and filter at appropriate intervals that makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: inkedrose and FTI76
I work for fleet maintenance. We maintain over 150 cars and trucks. Our service schedule is at 7500 mile intervals. In the 11 years I've been working here we haven't had one single oil related engine failure. We use dino oil unless the owner's manual requires syn or syn blend.

Reactions: FTI76
What benefit would there be for Amsoil saying full synthetics don't need to be changed as often conventional oils? They would sell less oil (though a full synthetic is higher price, it is not proportionally higher relative to the change frequency/price of conventional oil).
Their goal is to create a sense of wonder about Amsoil oil... as in 'wow their oil last 20,000 miles' so it must be superb stuff. It's no better than any other good quality motor oil, they just are very effective at marketing it as a "wonder oil". :)

Their goal is to create a sense of wonder about Amsoil oil... as in 'wow their oil last 20,000 miles' so it must be superb stuff. It's no better than any other good quality motor oil, they just are very effective at marketing it as a "wonder oil". :)
Gotcha! I use Castrol. My dad said don't use Pennzoil, it gums up engines. What's your take on good motor oil?

I have been using royal purple' filter, but have a purolater pureone in my garage for my next oil change. I've been using pennzoil's high mileage 10w-30, but may switch to Mobil1's synthetic 10W-30 next oil change because it is $10 cheaper (buying it from BJs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! I use Castrol. My dad said don't use Pennzoil, it gums up engines. What's your take on good motor oil?
Pennzoil has been fine for many years since they switched away from their old base stock to their reformulated PureBase back in 1998. That stopped the sludge buildup that older Pennzoil oils earned a reputation for that your dad (and I) remembers. It has been a good choice since that change in 1998.

I'd be happy with pretty much any major brand nowadays. I mostly use Valvoline (conventional) but would just as happily use Castrol, Pennzoil, Shell, Mobil, NAPA (made by Valvoline), etc. if Valvoline were to disappear. :)

Reactions: Michael Roberson