Maintenance Schedule B

I know this is an older thread and more so geared towards oil changes and such, but.. I figure I'll start here and go elsewhere if needed!!

I picked up my 98 TJ last year (116,000) at the beginning of summer. Didn't do anything to it modification wise, just drove it and enjoyed it. Obviously oil change and the regular upkeep. Now this spring, I'm starting to get the itch to do some modifications/upgrades. I already started in the interior.. New speakers, HU, powered Sub, LED lighting...

Being this is my first Jeep, and the PO wasn't the cleanest person in the world.. Do you insightful minds have any thoughts about what I should do for general maintenance and/or things to check under the hood to keep it in tip top shape? I'm going to check and clean the throttle body this weekend, found great instructions on another thread from Jerry... That's about as far as I've gotten. At times it takes a few turns of they key to get it to start, other times it starts right up. I know I need to replace the following per a trusted mechanic
- U joints are lose
- Steering gear shaft
Outside of those things it is in pretty decent shape and runs well.
The first mod I do when I get a new(to me) car is a full baseline. Essentially you go from bumper to bumper doing ALL maintenance. At worst you’ll know that your components have all fresh fluids, filters, wires plugs(if equipped). I start with the engine and perform a compression check followed by a complete tuneup with radiator/core flush. Then move to trans, tcase, diffs and shafts. Take notes on conditions as you go. When you finish a solid day of wrenchin you will know when every. Item was serviced and the condition of all components

Reactions: KCsTJ and Cole
Oil/filter change every 5000
Rotate shoes every 5000
Exactly. Makes it easy. Even if my first rotation is off the oil change, I put it on and keep it on.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Sorry to come in here 3 years late. Different angle on same question. I don't drive my TJ that many miles (2nd car).

How long (months) can I go before doing a conventional oil change? I put maybe 3,000 miles / year on it.

Thanks!

I'm learning that the same principles apply here that apply in my area of expertise, brainwashing abounds...it really takes someone in-the-know to cut through all the CRAP! Thanks Jerry, I'll save a little dough after I use up my K&N oil filters...
Jerry cuts through more crap than roto rooter.

Irrelevant but oil dilution in the diesel world kills the so called benefit of extended intervals with synthetic-

3000 miles vs 5000 miles is like going home from work at lunch and changing your underwear. A big boy can make it ‘til night time.

My favorite oil is enough, followed by fresh, my favorite filter is new, and with only one o ring. My favorite interval is regular.

So what am I saying? It humors me to see someone with an obsessive, ultra picky maintenance schedule, when a practical, consistent one will get the job done.

I may come across demeaning- not trying to at all- this is a good thread and service is important- but I have yet to see any older vehicle, I mean 1 , that had astounding longevity because of a certain brand of products- rather it was the owners’ treatment of the vehicle and consistency that made the difference.

I known of a vw beetle owner who got 100,000 miles on a set of brake shoes- it was the owner, not the shoes that did it- gearing down and light on the pedal. He also probably went through 3 clutches- way harder to to deal with than brakes.

The dirt bike world gets me the most- guys make chain maintenance rocket science. Get soooo picky. Then, Hey Earl, what trail are yall hitting?

“Oh we are going to the slime pit after we hit the sandwash on the other side of the creek.”

Oh, okay.

Reactions: inkedrose
Sorry to come in here 3 years late. Different angle on same question. I don't drive my TJ that many miles (2nd car).

How long (months) can I go before doing a conventional oil change? I put maybe 3,000 miles / year on it.

Thanks!
It depends- if you drive them all in one month of the year, and that is January, you can let it sit the rest of the year, then change the oil New years eve.

if you drive 500 miles in January, you can let it sit all year the drive it 2500 in december, then change it.

Or , if you drive 869 miles in February........

There are a lot of variables.

We have an owner survey you can find somewhere, fill that out, and we have an algorithm that will sort it out in more detail. You will probably be put on maintenance schedule F, but that is Chris’s decision.

I’m busy right now with the Forum Aftermaket Review Team. (F.A.R.T.). Holidays are coming and everyone wants to know what accessories to buy.

Thanks for posting, glad we could be of service.

Last edited: