Making a non-sub console into a sub console

kmas0n

I have no idea what I'm talking about
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My TJ Gru, as with all 2000's, left the factory without a subwoofer in the center console, it simply wasn't an option yet. So, It's time to fix that.

My console is in great shape, with the white plastic insert. Over the past 19 years or so, I've found that its too deep and things just get lost in a pile of clutter at the bottom. I'm not the kind of guy that likes to carry a bunch of crap around, so the console is a great place to put the sub. I've looked at many options, including just buying a console with the sub enclosure built-in already, but where's the fun in that?

I want a small tray that I can still set my phone or wallet on, And I want an 8" shallow mount sub. The enclosure will be sealed and have a little less than 0.5 cu ft of airspace. The first step is removing the console from the jeep, then drilling out the 4 rivets holding the two pieces together. I was pleased to see that when the two pieces are together, they touch each other already, so there won't be a gap I will have to deal with when mounting the sub.

IMG_20191206_112159.jpg

The orange tape line is the approx location of the seat. The plastic locking tab broke a decade ago. You can see the plastic tub has already been removed. I took the tub and turned it upside down tracing the basic shape onto some 3/4" MDF. After a little tweaking, I got it to fit flush inside. Then I traced the console opening on the MDF so I know the basic shape of that. I Enlarged it a little so it's countersunk and the top won't be visible. A simple drywall screw is my handle.

IMG_20191206_112224.jpg

Using a drill for the radius turns, and then a coping saw to connect the dots, I cut out the basic shape...

IMG_20191206_130320.jpg

And then finished the shape with sandpaper wrapped around some steel...

IMG_20191206_133136.jpg

Then over to the router table and a 1/2" flush bit duplicated the inside shape on another piece of MDF, the two pieces were glued and screwed together. The screws will come out after it dries.

IMG_20191206_144627.jpg

And then a bottom was added, the cubby will be about 1.5" deep. Just enough for wallet and phone. A little more shaping was required on the bottom to clear the indent for the parking brake, but not much.

IMG_20191206_162431.jpg

I'm holding it in the approximate location. Remember the agate console opening is smaller than the plastic or wood, so the top will not be exposed at all. I wanted a nice soft touch and considered felt, but decided to try a very thick coat of plasti dip for a rubberized feel. If it doesn't look good or hold up, I'll do the felt thing. Although it is shiny in this picture, plasti dip dries flat

IMG_20191206_162912.jpg

While that was drying I started trying to finalize the location of the sub in the enclosure... This is where I am at for now...

IMG_20191206_161744.jpg

I did something similar, but not nearly as involved. Looking forward to see how yours turns out!

Nice job! I'm considering doing something very similar but instead of building a sub box I was thinking of just putting putting a 8" powered under seat sub in the console and cutting/raising the insert to clear it.

After the tray dried, I bolted it back in and was ready to cut the hole for the speaker. The finish on the plasti dip turned out blotchy. Probably due to the temp outsize being well below the minimum recommended temp. I may try adding another few coats today when it is warm enough. Otherwise, I'll line it with felt.

IMG_20191207_083635.jpg

and since I didn't have a 7" hole saw, and neither did any of the local hardware stores. I made one...

IMG_20191206_155944.jpg

Its an old gate hinge repurposed into a hole saw. The hole is smooth and round.

IMG_20191207_084252.jpg

I wanted something sturdy to mount the sub to, and although the 3/16" of plastic (inner and outer shell combined) are pretty rigid, it doesn't hold screws well. So I fabricated a 3/4" MDF insert, obvious it was too big to fit in the hole, so I cut it in half.

IMG_20191207_095250.jpg

The screws that hold the tray in the top actually thread into the top of these two panels, assisting the whole enclosure being as rigid as possible, but that means that the tray cannot be removed without taking the whole thing apart.

IMG_20191207_145036.jpg

So that also means that the only way to access these two screws is to remove the sub... not ideal, but acceptable. The power wires pass through a small hole under the console, with a dab of silicone for an airtight seal. A watertight connector allows the sub wireing and console to be removed easily from the jeep if needed.

IMG_20191207_125637.jpg

and the finished product. now to hook it up...

If yours was split like the later models I probably would have just traded you my center (specced for a sub I yanked). Looks like good work, hopefully the grille can protect the sub from the seat belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Airjunky
A grill might be required as the sub does touch the seat. I'm not terribly concerned:

here's why:
Its only an 8"... they don't move that much compared to 10's and 12's
Its a shallow 8" ... they move even less
Its open-air rated, so it doesn't even need a box... that means the surround is thicker and tougher than a normal speaker, it doesn't need the cushion of air to stop the cone from overextending. And the surround is tough... when pressing on the cone, it took considerable force to move it.

However, I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

I hooked it up to a 2 channel bridged pioneer amp, rated at 190 RMS @ 2 ohms (the sub can handle 150 RMS @ 2 ohms with both voice coils being used) and it sounds awesome. It's tight, no booming like the bigger subs, which is what I like (tight not booming). The sub is comfortable up to 200 hertz, which was a sore spot for my old 10", there is no longer a sound gap between what the sub and regular speakers can do. There is no rattle from the box and that makes me happy. I've only had about an hour to play with settings and listen to different genres, but so far I'm very pleased.

I'll get some pics of the final install, then make @Jamison C come listen to it

Looks awesome! I'm planning on doing the same this spring when I upgrade my stereo and speakers.
I'll be surprised if the Plasti-Dip holds up though, just seems like eventually setting stuff down, picking it up, sliding around, and finger nails, you'll end up with scratches and peeling. I think you'll end up switching to felt down the road.

If you're really wanting the rubberized feel maybe look into those non-slip rubber mats you can buy for kitchen drawers, they can usually be bought at a dollar store and are easy to cut to size.

Looks awesome! I'm planning on doing the same this spring when I upgrade my stereo and speakers.
I'll be surprised if the Plasti-Dip holds up though, just seems like eventually setting stuff down, picking it up, sliding around, and finger nails, you'll end up with scratches and peeling. I think you'll end up switching to felt down the road.

If you're really wanting the rubberized feel maybe look into those non-slip rubber mats you can buy for kitchen drawers, they can usually be bought at a dollar store and are easy to cut to size.

Thanks for the tip

And here is the completed enclosure. Almost invisible from the outside. Seamless audio integration inside, at normal volume levels (as in still have a conversation with a passenger) most people would not recognize you had a subwoofer, which is better than pre sub, in which it was obvious I DIDN'T have a sub. It is subtle and smooth. At higher volume levels (conversation becomes impossible) it becomes obvious, easily keeping pace with the volume of the main speakers. The best example I can give is a high-end car factory system. Not overbearing but balanced and clean.
IMG_20191209_111655.jpg

and

IMG_20191208_074549.jpg

............Almost invisible from the outside. Seamless audio integration inside, at normal volume levels (as in still have a conversation with a passenger) most people would not recognize you had a subwoofer, which is better than pre sub, in which it was obvious I DIDN'T have a sub. It is subtle and smooth. At higher volume levels (conversation becomes impossible) it becomes obvious, easily keeping pace with the volume of the main speakers. The best example I can give is a high-end car factory system. Not overbearing but balanced and clean.
Very much a similar experience when I installed the Kicker 6.75" sub & PX200.1 amp. Really amazed me how much bass such a little sub puts out.

Reactions: kmas0n
I’m reluctant to listen to your system now because I fear I’m gonna wanna ditch my 6.75” sub and go with this instead lol.

Reactions: kmas0n