Making my TJ a Rubicon Killer

RubiKiller

I'm building my Jeep TJ and have decided to go all out on it. I'm debating on my lift, when I received it it came with a 2 inch body lift and when I do my suspension lift I'm going to be removing the body lift. I'm torn on what height I should be going with for my long arm kit in choosing, either a 4 inch or a 6 inch kit. I still would like to be able to ride it on the roads and I'm only planning to run 33s for now. Looking for some Jeep verteran's opinions on what I should do. I'm curious. My next question is axles. I need axles, right now I have Dana 35 in the rear and a Dana 30 up front. Could I still run those with my lift or should I be thinking of upgrading? I have a 5.3L engine from my dad's old Chevy truck and am considering put it in, concerns ideas? Any knowledge will help thank you!!

As for the lift I think most of the builders on this site would probably say to stay away from long arm lifts unless you are going full on custom build. The "Mid Arm" lifts are probably a better option for keeping the correct suspension geometry. https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sma-kit/

As for your axles if you are planing to drop the 5.3 in you're definitely going to need to upgrade the axles, especially if you're going to run lockers. If you don't swap the engine the 35 and 30 will work with 33s you'll just want to upgrade the axle shafts.

Reactions: RubiKiller
Yes I would like to make this like my dad's old CJ5, that thing could go through and over literally anything. I want this to be the best jeep I can afford. I don't mind spending the money as long as it's quality.

Yes I would like to make this like my dad's old CJ5, that thing could go through and over literally anything. I want this to be the best jeep I can afford. I don't mind spending the money as long as it's quality.
With some patience, a lot of reading, and a ultimate goal you can start planning your build. As a lot of us have learned by experience, what we thought we wanted wasn't what we ended up going with in the end. Of course there never truly is an end..... Is there?

With some patience, a lot of reading, and a ultimate goal you can start planning your build. As a lot of us have learned by experience, what we thought we wanted wasn't what we ended up going with in the end. Of course there never truly is an end..... Is there?
Absolutely not lmao it never ends

Reactions: D M and reddvltj
If you are trying to balance those two things: on road and off-road capability, then I suggest 33 or 35 at the most. Both are very capable/ It's just a question of what trails you are going to be running. There are many ways to get there. The most common are 3-4.5" SL/BL for 33's or 4.5-6" SL/BL for 35's, a short or mid-arm lift, Dana 30/Dana 44 combination with stronger axles, regeared, locked, SYE and DC. If you do a Tummy Tuck you get a lot of belly clearance that is often needed. There are many things you can do. I'm just shooting stuff out there because I don't know where you are willing to go, but the balance is important to think through before you start throwing your good $$$ at it.

If you are trying to balance those two things: on road and off-road capability, then I suggest 33 or 35 at the most. Both are very capable/ It's just a question of what trails you are going to be running. There are many ways to get there. The most common are 3-4.5" SL/BL for 33's or 4.5-6" SL/BL for 35's, a short or mid-arm lift, Dana 30/Dana 44 combination with stronger axles, regeared, locked, SYE and DC. If you do a Tummy Tuck you get a lot of belly clearance that is often needed. There are many things you can do. I'm just shooting stuff out there because I don't know where you are willing to go, but the balance is important to think through before you start throwing your good $$$ at it.
I'm not going to be Rock crawling with this. It's more really soupy mud and long tough up hill trails. Through the old quarry at my place, wouldn't even think about going through there with my jeep as is.

I'm not going to be Rock crawling with this. It's more really soupy mud and long tough up hill trails. Through the old quarry at my place, wouldn't even think about going through there with my jeep as is.

Rubicons aren't the best for mud, so you have the advantage already! :)