Making the Rear Seats Safer

PRP also has the Elite Series Highback Bench. The width starts at 40” which is an inch wider than what they say fits in an TJ. I have one on order so hoping to find a way to make it work.

Some people have also put a JK bench in the back after doing some custom brackets.

We have a 4 door sedan, mega cab truck, and the LJ. No MINIVAN! 😁
We used to own an Odyssey minivan an it was awesome. The amount of stuff you can fit in those is incredible. We eventually got rid of it because we just didn't need something so big, but it was sure great to have when we needed the space.

Also, I got the bestop rear seat when I first got my Wrangler (non-LJ) and it has been great. I wouldn't let my child in the back without a seat with headrests.

Reactions: DougB and thomat65
We used to own an Odyssey minivan an it was awesome
I don't want to derail this thread, but I brought home 10' lumber from Home Depot in ours. It was raining too and nothing got wet. Without the minivan that would be pretty tough without a trailer! 4x8' does fine if you just take the seats out. If you also take the center console out you get an extra two feet for 2 bys.
IMG_20200111_101345.jpg

Reactions: DougB
Is there a way to retrofit the LATCH system into an earlier model? I don't have a 03+ to look at so I don't know if it's part of the seat, attached to the floor, or if the later seats can install in earlier models.

Found this in the Q&A on Amazon:

Question:
can anyone tell me why this wont fit the unlimited model?

Answer:
Its the way that it mounts in the LJ, the floor mounting brackets nor the striker plate fit correctly, like they do in the TJ. We've tried to install this seat in an LJ and were unsuccessful. Anything can be modified, sure, we wouldn't be able to assist with that, however I can say that you'll be doing some drilling if you want this seat in your LJ.
View attachment 169012
A manufacturer
Manufacturer · April 10, 2019

I think the only difference is where the mounting points are. Drill a couple of holes and it should fix that problem.

97-02 Seats need 97-02 seat brackets
03-06 seats need 03-06 brackets.

So that's all there is to it, is to get 03+ brackets to go with the seat it'll mount into my 99 tub? Awesome.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the way the seats are held in as-is, but the latch system makes it a lot easier since I don't have to shove my arm through the carseat to feed the vehicle seatbelt through it.