March Trip to Moab

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
My son and I pulled our little overlanding camper to Moab for an extended weekend of wheeling, hiking, and camping. I am always thrilled to simply be there.

A happy Jeeper. Me.

02.jpg

Not a bad campsite. The Colorado River is just beyond the Tamarisk trees.

03.jpg

Another view from our campsite.

04.jpg

At the beginning of the Lockhart Basin Trail. We only went about 3/4 of a mile up this trail because we were alone. Can't wait to go back and do this one with a buddy. @Rescue6 that would be you!

This is also the beginning of the Lockhart Basin Trail.

05.jpg

06.jpg

We made it down to the Colorado River inside Canyonlands National Park.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

This is shot from the White Rim Road inside Canyonlands. Those are the La Sal Mountains in the distance.

11.jpg

My son inside the Eye of the Whale Arch inside Arches National Park. There are multiple back entrances into the Park and some fun 4WD trails in there.

12.jpg

Not a bad lunch spot. This is inside the Tower Arch in Arches National Park. You can only get to this arch via a difficult 4WD trail. It was fun to explore places that the tourists can't get to in their automobiles.

14.jpg

We left Moab via the Castle Valley Road. We were hoping to drive over the La Sal Mountains to Gateway, Colorado, and then home.

15.jpg

This was a spectacular view from up in the La Sals and looking back down into the Colorado River basin.

16.jpg

The view called for a coffee break.

17.jpg

18.jpg

If I've got to clean dust out of my Jeep when I get back home, I vastly prefer that it be this color!

Absolutely I’d love to get out to Moab along with you guys sometime. You always do such a great job of capturing shots and narrating them. I wish I remembered to do that on all my trips so I can enjoy the memories later on.

Great photos!

The paved two lane castleton road was gorgeous. I definitely want to take that road again. Hardly any traffic and amazing views of monoliths.

Reactions: rasband and WLDRIDE
Beautiful pictures. What size tires are you running on your tj? Do you have any lift?
I have a 2" suspension lift and run 31" tires. But I also have 4.88 gears in the diffs and an LSD in the rear end. And, quick-disconnect sway bar links.

My TJ is also my daily driver, and I pull that overlanding camper down the highway with it. So this set-up is the best compromise for me. I can run difficult (but not "extreme - must have a high tolerance for damage") trails with this set-up.

Last edited: