Marvel mystery oil? Is it snake oil or not?

Rook

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Curious to know what people think of marvel mystery oil? Is this stuff any good or is it just another snake oil product?

My personal opinion is that ALL additives are snake oil.

I can't scientifically prove that none of them might work (or have some effect). However, you have to ask yourself why you would even need an additive in the first place if you're performing scheduled maintenance and oil changes on your engine?

Seriously... Change the fluids at their specified intervals, do the required maintenance when it's due and you'll have an engine that should never need an additive, ever.

An additive in my mind is simply a band-aid. In other words, it doesn't actually fix the underlying problem.

Snake oil. Its primary ingredient is nothing more than kerosene.

SNAKE-Oil-Cures-All-returntothemystic.org_.jpeg

Reactions: Mudflat and Chris
I used to add it to unleaded gas back in the day that I used in a IHC mower that had a Kohler engine on it, an ole timer told me it would help lube the valve guides. I did it until I sold it and never had any trouble, don't know if it helped or not.

Jason

My personal opinion is that ALL additives are snake oil.

I can't scientifically prove that none of them might work (or have some effect). However, you have to ask yourself why you would even need an additive in the first place if you're performing scheduled maintenance and oil changes on your engine?

Seriously... Change the fluids at their specified intervals, do the required maintenance when it's due and you'll have an engine that should never need an additive, ever.

An additive in my mind is simply a band-aid. In other words, it doesn't actually fix the underlying problem.

I guess all that depends on your experiences. I bought an 04 TJ Unlimited with 200,000 miles on it. At any cold start, it had a lifter tick that was a knock. It was loud enough that you thought a rod was going. I did all the normal stuff and then changed the oil and added the BG products engine magic crap. I don't recall which one but I know who I got it from and after about 5 cold starts, the lifter knock has departed and not returned. Had it not done so, I would have tossed in some MMO at the next oil change.

Reactions: Bermudacat
I guess all that depends on your experiences. I bought an 04 TJ Unlimited with 200,000 miles on it. At any cold start, it had a lifter tick that was a knock. It was loud enough that you thought a rod was going. I did all the normal stuff and then changed the oil and added the BG products engine magic crap. I don't recall which one but I know who I got it from and after about 5 cold starts, the lifter knock has departed and not returned. Had it not done so, I would have tossed in some MMO at the next oil change.

If it were me I would have tried to figure out what was causing the knock and fixed it. The additives, even if they do work would just be a band-aid covering up the actual issue.

If it were me I would have tried to figure out what was causing the knock and fixed it. The additives, even if they do work would just be a band-aid covering up the actual issue.
I did find it. Gunk in the lifters wasn't letting them fully pump up immediately when the engine started. Other than pulling them, cleaning them out manually and reinstalling them, there isn't much other way to do it.

I use half bottle Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer at oil change, and 1 day before I change oil I add half bottle Seafoam. I would not say there isn't a use for such products, but if you have certain problems it may help.

Last edited:
That product is known to cause lubricants to foam, it's the very last additive I'd ever add.

Check out this article... http://web.archive.org/web/20080408023428/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm. That article was on Bob is the OIl Guy's forum until Lucas became a sponsor and forced it to be removed. Fortunately it was saved and archived elsewhere.
I was having a chat a few weeks ago with someone who at the time was a staunch K&N supporter and user. I related to him all the experiences we'd had with their crappy filtering over the years and at times I got the impression he considered me a complete and total moron. Visited me a few days ago and he said he had done as I suggested and pulled the air intake tube loose to check it for dirt. He immediately tossed the K&N and purchased a dry filter and put that in it's place.

I've heard the foam myth numerous times before.

I looked at link you provided. But the pictures did not display,however from the description you can tell he used a homemade gearset much like the display for Lucas at stores. In my research I have found out very interesting info.

The gear setup used is an oil bath type system introducing air into it. Engines use pump systems eliminating air introduction. I think air getting into the oil system itself would be bigger concern. Also,the gear mesh is very different. There are some concerns about mixtures and rpms (such a small amount of oil in itself not being able to keep up so to speak).

I can say I've used Lucas oil additives for years. And I have never seen any indication of foam froth or any thing that would cause me concern.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

It appears that webpage is temporarily down. Dang it. Lucas tracks down that study and squashes on each archive site it makes it to, they don't want it out.

Basically the independent study very clearly shows how after adding the Lucas, the oil can no longer resist foaming and it turns to a very light brown as it is agitated via spinning gears showing the trapped air lightening the color. The problem the Lucas is causing is very self evident, it doesn't take much to see it. At least not in my personal opinion.

Here are several of the photos from the study I found on the web...

The untreated oil is in the center, the oil treated with the Lucas is on the right.

15w40motoroils.jpg

15w40endwlucas.jpg

61612d1343772935-lucasfroth.jpg

Last edited:
Well, this is one of those touchy subjects where we all have to simply agree to disagree.

I personally believe with every bone in my body that additives are nothing other than a pure snake oil scam. However, I also respect the fact that others might night agree with me.

All I can say for certain is I certaintly won't ever be wasting any of my money on any additives.

What if Currie introduced an oil additive?

View attachment 1499

:p:eek:o_O:cool::)
Stuff like that will get you moved from my guys I don't mind helping list over to the FOAD list in a heartbeat. That shit is old and busted and never should have happened to begin with. There is a reason folks like Currie stuff and there are reasons not to. Neither side should be fanatical about it. The biggest reason for you being on the list is I don't interact well with shit stirrers.

One of my Currie MML's broke at the weld years ago. Besides, its bushings were polyurethane which I didn't like so I replaced both Currie MMLs with M.O.R.E. rubber bushing MMLs.
And I've had a set of those MORE mounts that I removed from Kat's rig and given away 3 times and they keep coming back. Next time they do, they're going in the trash.

Reactions: Bermudacat