Mastercraft vs PRP seats (pros and cons)

MikeE024

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I was recently looking at PRP Enduro Recliners highback (non-adjustable headrest).

I more recently looked into the Mastercraft Baja RS (non-adjustable headrest).

At this point, these are my two likely choices.

About me: I'm 6'2 and 215 pounds. Long-limbed athletic build. I'm not abnormally long in the legs vs torso, but I don't have a proper measurement of those areas. I have a 46-47

I don't believe I'll be looking to get heated seats or lumbar support.

I want a recliner seat that allows for the folding action of my 2005 stock seat to remain. I believe both brands have adapters to allow me to do this.

I do not want to sit abnormally high up so the overall height increase matters to me. I believe the Enduro Recliner will sit 1/2" higher but I'm not sure about the potential heigh increase for the Baja RS.

I will be getting in and out of my seat often, and I'm a DD that goes offroading some. I don't need to be hugged like crazy by the seats. I'd get seat covers if my foam wasn't so worn.

Additionally, being 6'2 I'd prefer to get a seat with a headrest that is proper for me, but I don't want a seat that's will interfere with the roll bar or the canopy when rolling the seat forward or reclining it back. My guess is that I'll need a +2" if I got the PRP route (I'll confirm later with PRP if I go that route). I'm not sure about the height of the Mastercraft Baja RS, but I believe the standard fixed headrest might sit higher.

Also, I'm interested in the durability of the fabric. I have a 20 lb. Border Collie / Toy Aussie mix that likes to climb all over and will certainly track some water and dirt in. I don't want princess seat fabric. I don't trust PRP's Vinyl to be durable so I'm looking to go Cordura if I get the Enduro Recliner. I'm not sure about this "new fabric" listed on Mastercraft's website, and I'm also not sure how durable the Mastercraft Vinyl is in comparison to the PRP vinyl.

5’9, 200 lbs., short and stalky. I have the PRP Summit Enduro Elite seats and they fit me wonderfully. Not a single complaint whatsoever. I just wish I had installed them sooner.

CBCF1734-7BAD-40EC-AD09-B2F3F86226DC.jpeg

5’9, 200 lbs., short and stalky. I have the PRP Summit Enduro Elite seats and they fit me wonderfully. Not a single complaint whatsoever. I just wish I had installed them sooner.

View attachment 272215
Super nice!

Would you recommend +2 height for a 6'2 person (that's fairly symmetrical regarding legs/torso)?

Super nice!

Would you recommend +2 height for a 6'2 person (that's fairly symmetrical regarding legs/torso)?
I used the 97-02 seat bases in my 2003. I did this because I’m shorter and I like to see over the wheel. If I was 6’2 I would go with the 03-06 seat bases so you sit lower. I can almost guarantee you if you sat in mine you wouldn’t like how high you sit. That of course would be due to you being much taller than me.

Reactions: MikeE024
Mastercraft made in China, PRP made in California.

Edit disregard my comment saying the Mastercraft seats are made in China, they are indeed made in the US according to Blaine's post below.

Last edited:
I used the 97-02 seat bases in my 2003. I did this because I’m shorter and I like to see over the wheel. If I was 6’2 I would go with the 03-06 seat bases so you sit lower. I can almost guarantee you if you sat in mine you wouldn’t like how high you sit. That of course would be due to you being much taller than me.
Good to know.

Also, I should have clarified. Do you recommend the +2 option for increasing back height of the seat since I'm taller? I don't want the top of the fixed headrest to only reach the bottom of my neck. I'll need to get measurements to determine the final answer, but I'm curious. In the end, if I need to pay extra for things like this while not needing to do so for Mastercrafts, then that might help sway my decision.

Mastercraft made in China, PRP made in California.
Thanks for letting me know about Mastercraft's manufacturing location.

That's not my final determinant factor, but it does tip the scale.

Also, "made" can be a deceiving term. Are all fabric and foam materials used on PRP seats created in the US? I've gone down the material sourcing route before following the Berry Amendment when sourcing buckles and webbing for a tactical tomahawk that we created.

Last edited:
And if I unwittingly wound up with ownership of your rig, the first thing that would go in the trash are those seats. I'm at least 6'-2" tall and hate everything about them.

And if I unwittingly wound up with ownership of your rig, the first thing that would go in the trash are those seats. I'm at least 6'-2" tall and hate everything about them.
Right on. What seats do you prefer? I'll just get those, then you can purchase my jeep later.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
Good to know.

Also, I should have clarified. Do you recommend the +2 option for increasing back height of the seat since I'm taller? I don't want the top of the fixed headrest to only reach the bottom of my neck. I'll need to get measurements to determine the final answer, but I'm curious. In the end, if I need to pay extra for things like this while not needing to do so for Mastercrafts, then that might help sway my decision.
I can’t comment on the +2 option since mine don’t have that option. I would be curious to see what changes with that option. I would assume it’s the seat back and headrest simply being up higher. I will say that my current seats would likely be too small for you in terms of height. I also see they offer a +4” option.

Not at all. It is that we are not all built the same so seats don't fit us the same which is why I always say to not buy until you put your ass in them.
I’m lucky I ended up liking these. The way you were telling me about them on the phone I was already anticipating buying Mastercrafts.

It’s amazing how much more comfortable these things are on long highway drives in comparison to the factory seats.

Well, for me at least! My only damn regret is not having you install a tan dashboard when you had it off for the wiring harness install. Now I’m going to have to paint mine to match the seats.

Right on. What seats do you prefer? I'll just get those, then you can purchase my jeep later.
I run PRP daily driver in my trail rig. I've had Beard previous to that and now have a set of Mastercraft Baja RS recliners that I'm partial to. I would never have purchased the MC had I not sat in a fair number of them on test drives. The PRP are some that I went to the showroom and picked out after sitting in most.