Math is hard

Decimal is kinda necessary in machining. And if I was making parts off a metric blueprint, I’d change it to inches straight away.

And I’m totally happy metric is still the unwanted stepchild of measuring in this country. I ain’t going anywhere near hex.

I think zorba's reference to decimal is just the base 10 number system as opposed to base 2, 8, or 16. My comment was just that since metric is based around multiples of 10, going away from base 10 would blow it up.

I worked mostly in metric in school and then the field I went into works mostly in IP. I still prefer doing calculations in metric but fahrenheit degrees, miles, feet and pounds all have innate meaning in my brain, while when I hear or see Celsius, kilometers, meters or kg I do a quick and dirty conversion in my head to give it meaning.

That said, small dimensions I understand millimeters better. I can picture exactly how big 3mm is just as easily as 1/8 or .125", but the math is easier for me with the mm because an integer still gets me within .020" and I'm not a machinist so it's exceedingly rare for that not to be good enough.

I wish I was able to do higher math, I'm one of those that doesn't get it and never will. My brain just doesn't work that way.

No but you understand practical math and how to use a measuring tape which those good at higher math struggle with.

No but you understand practical math and how to use a measuring tape which those good at higher math struggle with.

Easy about generalizations there, buddy. Some of us engineers that have taken LOTS of higher math still know how to read a tape and do "practical" stuff. :D

I think zorba's reference to decimal is just the base 10 number system as opposed to base 2, 8, or 16. My comment was just that since metric is based around multiples of 10, going away from base 10 would blow it up.
Yea, I was being facetious. Base 2,8,16 is a lot easier to deal with working with computers, its always a minor pain to deal with decimal.

Yea, I was being facetious. Base 2,8,16 is a lot easier to deal with working with computers, its always a minor pain to deal with decimal.

Oh I know.

In my world I'm dealing almost exclusively with decimal expressions of temperatures and pressures within a thermodynamic cycle, but when I'm analyzing or troubleshooting communication between devices, it's of course always in hex and binary, but representing decimal values so there's a lot of converting back and forth.

Reactions: Zorba