Maui TJ

Steve Rodgers

TJ Enthusiast
IMG_1468.JPG
Greetings from Maui. I just picked up a 97 TJ SE 2.5 stick. It's high mileage but runs well. We needed a second vehicle and general beach and light off road vehicle. My last Jeep I had was in the late 90's, it was a 67 C-101 with overdrive.
I plan to replace some tired stuff on this one and maybe wrap it, it's white.

Maui huh? That's our favorite place to vacation! What side of the island are you on? I know we have a few other members on here from Hawaii as well!

What color are you going to wrap it?

We are on the south side, southern end of Kihei.
The paint and body aren't too bad no real rust. We are thinking of a matte green.
Just getting started with it. New top coming, need to fix the windshield frame problem (stripped holes).
The fun begins.

Welcome from Hawaii.
Not sure how y'all get all those Jeeps over there but the wife and i were on the BIG Island last week " stayed in Waikui " and never in my life have i seen more YJ's, TJ's and JK's.....they were everywhere.

Welcome, was in o'ahu last month, had a great time wheeling with some locals.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

'Aloha' fellow island dweller !! lol welcome to the forum...Looks like a great base to work from..congrats

Hey Uncle Steve!

If that motor ever craps out on you, you can seriously increase your power and fuel efficiency and reduce your environmental impact with the Cummins R2.8T 4 cylinder diesel motor. It’s a fairly simple swap with an advance adapter.

Nice Jeep!

9C894B35-AF51-45C4-B67E-78A8E23340F8.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Hey Uncle Steve!

If that motor ever craps out on you, you can seriously increase your power and fuel efficiency and reduce your environmental impact with the Cummins R2.8T 4 cylinder diesel motor. It’s a fairly simple swap with an advance adapter.

Nice Jeep!

A very expensive swap though!

Reactions: MusiCole1
A very expensive swap though!
I think I heard in a video that the crate was supposed to be around 8k and that is before expensive adapters and if you have a AX5 then you will need to upgrade to an auto or an AX15. Just in parts alone I bet you would be into it for more than my total engine swap including a engine rebuild. If you want to reduce carbon footprint then go for it as it supports that objective however if you are doing it to "save" money on fuel or to get more power don't kid yourself, it won't achieve either. It would take decades of daily driving before you break even on fuel consumption and for power it couldnt compete with a 4.7 stroker or a supercharger on a 4.0. Plus good luck finding a mechanic that knows how to work on it efficiently meaning lower labor hours compared to a Chevy swap because every good mechanic knows at least a fair amount about small block chevys

Reactions: MusiCole1 and JMT
I think I heard in a video that the crate was supposed to be around 8k and that is before expensive adapters and if you have a AX5 then you will need to upgrade to an auto or an AX15. Just in parts alone I bet you would be into it for more than my total engine swap including a engine rebuild. If you want to reduce carbon footprint then go for it as it supports that objective however if you are doing it to "save" money on fuel or to get more power don't kid yourself, it won't achieve either. It would take decades of daily driving before you break even on fuel consumption and for power it couldnt compete with a 4.7 stroker or a supercharger on a 4.0. Plus good luck finding a mechanic that knows how to work on it efficiently meaning lower labor hours compared to a Chevy swap because every good mechanic knows at least a fair amount about small block chevys

I priced a lot of it out. The engine alone is 8k, but then you need a ton of other stuff to get it working including adapters, wiring, etc. By the time you're all said and done, you'd be into it 15k if you paid a shop to do it.

You could have something much better for less money (a V8 swap). Sure, it wouldn't get as many MPGs, but who really cares?

I just restored a 1973 CB750 Honda (motorcycle), including the engine. I think if the 2.5 ever showed signs of failure I would take it apart for rings, bearings, etc. It's a fairly simple engine and the parts seem to be readily available. It's no powerhouse but here on Maui most speed limits are 45 and below, where am I going? Around here, when giving directions I usually include that when you are facing the ocean, you need to turn left or right. :))
In the mean time I will slowly work my way through things like brakes, all the fluids, control arm bushings and other items that need freshening up. The body is pretty good, no rust to speak of.

Reactions: MusiCole1
I priced a lot of it out. The engine alone is 8k, but then you need a ton of other stuff to get it working including adapters, wiring, etc. By the time you're all said and done, you'd be into it 15k if you paid a shop to do it.

You could have something much better for less money (a V8 swap). Sure, it wouldn't get as many MPGs, but who really cares?

It all depends on what you want. I just like fuel economy and more torque. A Chevy V8 is reliable, though I think the 20% increase in fuel economy pays itself off if you drive a lot.

Cole Armstrong?
Aloha from Maui, hope all is well with you.

Yep! I figured I had better get on here and learn about Jeeps, it sounds like my wife inherited a fully restored flat fender that her grandfather actually drove on base during WW2.
I’m going to a wedding in Lahaina in September so, I’ll be there on your island for my first trip there ever!