Maxx WideMaxx?

I've only ever gotten in RC aircraft, never vehicles. Here's a question for you: what's a good RC truck to get for my son's 8th birthday next month that doesn't cost over a grand? Something he can beat up a little, maybe take on some trails with us. I'm not buying him an X-MAXX, that's for sure. Can you RC nerds point me to something that's not a cheapo Walmart toy but also not an enthusiast rig? Maybe 3 or $400 ish?

I've only ever gotten in RC aircraft, never vehicles. Here's a question for you: what's a good RC truck to get for my son's 8th birthday next month that doesn't cost over a grand? Something he can beat up a little, maybe take on some trails with us. I'm not buying him an X-MAXX, that's for sure. Can you RC nerds point me to something that's not a cheapo Walmart toy but also not an enthusiast rig? Maybe 3 or $400 ish?

Pretty much any of the Traxxas entry level R/Cs are a great place to start.

Reactions: Apparition
Last edited:
Reactions: qslim
Check this 1/16th scale slash out, it's built on a similar chassis to the Revo and not too expensive.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...EkR5BkbPOkiEs40dNOseL4x2_-o31HaxoCR_0QAvD_BwE
Or the 1/16th scale e-revo
https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/71054-1erevo116

Sweet, I'll check them out! I was going between something like this or some programmable STEM robot type thing that codes with Python or some high-level equivalent. The former was the wife's idea, but I think he's had enough home learning with this Covid stuff. He needs something he can just rip over tree stumps and have fun.

Last edited:
I guess I’m an idiot. This kit isn’t for the xmaxx it’s for the maxx. I didn’t even know the maxx was a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I guess I’m an idiot. This kit isn’t for the xmaxx it’s for the maxx. I didn’t even know the maxx was a thing.

I didn't know this either. I hadn't even heard of the Maxx until now.

That's just confusing :LOL:

No wonder it's so cheap.

Kind of makes me want the Maxx now. A tiny XMAXX that does 60mph. May get one for the kid eventually.

Naaa, the small ones flip over with any bump in the terrain. That's the nice thing about the X-Maxx is that it's so huge it's really damn hard to flip, even at high speeds off-road.

Could be that's why they made the wide track kit?!?!

I suspect, but even then, the size and lack of weight is still not working to it's advantage.

I remember my HPI Savage I had about 10 years ago (when HPI was popular).

That thing was constantly flipping over at high speeds even just going through grass fields. 1/5 scale is expensive, but I like it a lot more since they are so much more stable and predictable.

I suspect, but even then, the size and lack of weight is still not working to it's advantage.

I remember my HPI Savage I had about 10 years ago (when HPI was popular).

That thing was constantly flipping over at high speeds even just going through grass fields. 1/5 scale is expensive, but I like it a lot more since they are so much more stable and predictable.
The Savage was just that, once you upgraded the knuckles they were stout as hell, but ya gotta admit they were EXTREMELY top heavy how they were designed.

Traxxas has a much lower COG than most of their competition. at least in my experience. The Revo opened up a whole new world in the "Basher" monster truck world. It quickly gave birth to "truggies" because none of the other monster trucks could compete so people with 8th scale buggies threw monster truck tires on their buggies and called them monster trucks just so they wouldn't have their asses handed to them by a 1/10th scale truck. :ROFLMAO:

The Savage was just that, once you upgraded the knuckles they were stout as hell, but ya gotta admit they were EXTREMELY top heavy how they were designed.

Traxxas has a much lower COG than most of their competition. at least in my experience. The Revo opened up a whole new world in the "Basher" monster truck world. It quickly gave birth to "truggies" because none of the other monster trucks could compete so people with 8th scale buggies threw monster truck tires on their buggies and called them monster trucks just so they wouldn't have their asses handed to them by a 1/10th scale truck. :ROFLMAO:

That's true, and yes, I have noticed Traxxas models (such as the E-Revo for instance) have a much lower COG, which helps.

I will admit, the E-Revo is badass, and I would love to own one. Unfortunately with electric mountain bikes, RC cars, Jeeps, and expensive ass banjos and guitars, I think I need to hold off a while, haha.

I don't miss nitro, let me tell you that. Having to always mess with the damn nitro engines on those Savages...what a nightmare! Once I went electric, I never looked back.

• Haha
That's true, and yes, I have noticed Traxxas models (such as the E-Revo for instance) have a much lower COG, which helps.

I will admit, the E-Revo is badass, and I would love to own one. Unfortunately with electric mountain bikes, RC cars, Jeeps, and expensive ass banjos and guitars, I think I need to hold off a while, haha.

I don't miss nitro, let me tell you that. Having to always mess with the damn nitro engines on those Savages...what a nightmare! Once I went electric, I never looked back.
I'm with you on the merits of electric over nitro, but I still have a place in my heart for the smell and sound of a finely tuned nitro. The Revo long chassis I have when tuned right could still pull a wheelie and it was fast ass hell when it hit second gear. I kind of miss the Jato... That sucker screamed!!!