Maxx WideMaxx?

I'm with you on the merits of electric over nitro, but I still have a place in my heart for the smell and sound of a finely tuned nitro. The Revo long chassis I have when tuned right could still pull a wheelie and it was fast ass hell when it hit second gear. I kind of miss the Jato... That sucker screamed!!!

The problem was of course getting them finely tuned :LOL:

I've found everything I used to have in terms of off-road stuff has all been replaced by the X-Maxx. It just does it all and then some. Traxxas really hit a home run with the X-Maxx.

I've seen those Revos though. You can put those things through the ringer and they seem to just ask for more.

I have been into RC since I was little. Back when digital proportion was new tech. Cars, and aircraft. I had 3D stunt planes and 550 sizes heli's. Ran glow engines back in the day, nitro 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Switched to all electric back in about 2012-2013 and got out of the hobby a couple years ago. Still have a Traxxas Summit and TA SC10 basher in the garage. Have not ran them in a long time. I also have a DJI Mavic Air drone, with all the regulations and crap I lost interest and its been sitting for almost a year. Too many hobbies.

Reactions: qslim and reddvltj
I have been into RC since I was little. Back when digital proportion was new tech. Cars, and aircraft. I had 3D stunt planes and 550 sizes heli's. Ran glow engines back in the day, nitro 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Switched to all electric back in about 2012-2013 and got out of the hobby a couple years ago. Still have a Traxxas Summit and TA SC10 basher in the garage. Have not ran them in a long time. I also have a DJI Mavic Air drone, with all the regulations and crap I lost interest and its been sitting for almost a year. Too many hobbies.
I cut my teeth on those old mechanical speed controls!!! Nothing like getting the smallest amount of build up on the contacts to make them suckers glitch and take off out of control!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Love flying my drone but hadn’t flown it for over a year. Got it out last week to confirm it worked in order to sell it. Mine is the phantom 3 pro and it’s time to get a Mavic of some sort.

Here’s a screenshot from shortly after I got it, good range for all stock.

2E4B3EEF-3F52-4658-8777-BE6EC2930806.png

I cut my teeth on those old mechanical speed controls!!! Nothing like getting the smallest amount of build up on the contacts to make them suckers glitch and take off out of control!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yup, watching it drive away at full tilt into the nearest stationary object was great fun. One of my coworkers had a grandpa pass a few years ago and he found a Tamiya Bruiser Hi-Lux 1/10 kit new in the box in his grandpas estate. He brought it to me asking if I wanted it. I ended up helping him sell it on ebay for like $1200 IIRC. It was the original from 1985, and was in very good condition. I would have loved to have assembled it, but they suck to drive and was worth more to a collector than I would have wanted to pay. The transmission was neat, believe it was a three speed you could shift on the fly from the radio. Groundbreaking at the time.

Reactions: reddvltj
Love flying my drone but hadn’t flown it for over a year. Got it out last week to confirm it worked in order to sell it. Mine is the phantom 3 pro and it’s time to get a Mavic of some sort.

Here’s a screenshot from shortly after I got it, good range for all stock.

View attachment 160902

I hear the new Mavic Mini is the way to go if you want to dodge regulations. Affordable and super portable too. I like my Mavic Air too, just too much BS from the FAA. Cant fly in Mexico anymore either.

3+ miles out is good. You wont get that kind of range from a smaller Drone, most all use wifi. Farthest I have gone without chickening out is 2.5 miles with the Air.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I hear the new Mavic Mini is the way to go if you want to dodge regulations. Affordable and super portable too. I like my Mavic Air too, just too much BS from the FAA. Cant fly in Mexico anymore either.

3+ miles out is good. You wont get that kind of range from a smaller Drone, most all use wifi. Farthest I have gone without chickening out is 2.5 miles with the Air.
I already have my FAA number so it is what it is. Was considering the new Air 2.

Reactions: AMS417
I'm teeing this up for my son's 8th birthday next month. I kinda want to get it & play with it now cuz it looks sweet. Anything else I should get? A second battery maybe?

Also school me on the brushless motor in the context of these things. It's a brushed motor but says it's 'easily upgradable' to brushless.

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/traxxas-slash-4x4-brushed-1-10-short-course-rtr-truck-w-batt-charger/
Not a bad place to start. The VXL brushless upgrade will wake it up like you never believed, especially when paired with LiPo batteries but those are a much larger investment. LiPo batteries will also give a longer run time between charges. The Electronic speed control for the brushless motor can be set for "beginner mode" which cuts the power in half, IIRC, it actually makes it a little slower than the brushed motor with a 7 cell NiMH battery. (if that makes sense to you?)

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy the VXL model to begin with. It can run on NiMH or LiPo batteries depending on how you set up the speed control. (Easy step by step set up is provided in the user's manual)
If you do go the brushed route the upgrade will cost you about $150,

Reactions: qslim
I was finally able to get my hands on a 2wd Slash for my kids birthday through an Amazon reseller, apparently all their inventory is piled up at the docks in Louisiana due to Covid staffing issues - these things are out of stock everywhere. Question about the Lipo batteries for you guys that know stuff; I went into the local RC hobby shop to get a regular charger and see about extra batteries and the guy practically put the fear of God in me about Lipos saying that my kid might overheat it & burn the truck down. He didn't have any nickel batteries in stock, so I just bought the charger.

I just want him to be able to run it as long as he can, what's your take on the Lipo batteries vs the NiMH?

You need a speed controller with low voltage shutoff. Or a low voltage alarm to plug into the balance plug. If you don’t run them low or puncture them you’ll likely never have an issue. Check the specs on your equipment.

NiMH sucks. Lipo is more energy dense and Higher charge/discharge rate.

You need a speed controller with low voltage shutoff. Or a low voltage alarm to plug into the balance plug. If you don’t run them low or puncture them you’ll likely never have an issue. Check the specs on your equipment.

NiMH sucks. Lipo is more energy dense and Higher charge/discharge rate.
Yeah I've got that thing.

I was finally able to get my hands on a 2wd Slash for my kids birthday through an Amazon reseller, apparently all their inventory is piled up at the docks in Louisiana due to Covid staffing issues - these things are out of stock everywhere. Question about the Lipo batteries for you guys that know stuff; I went into the local RC hobby shop to get a regular charger and see about extra batteries and the guy practically put the fear of God in me about Lipos saying that my kid might overheat it & burn the truck down. He didn't have any nickel batteries in stock, so I just bought the charger.

I just want him to be able to run it as long as he can, what's your take on the Lipo batteries vs the NiMH?
Lipos are a far superior battery in power and longevity, but you need to have a charger that is designed to charge lipo batteries. It is recommended to charge and store lipos in a special bag that is flame proof for safety reasons. On that note as long as you buy quality batteries and charger you'll likely never have an issue. When I bought my TRX4 I bought a pair of Traxxas lipo batteries and a Traxxas Multi charger. I could have gone a little cheaper but one thing I found is if you buy a Traxxas R/C and run the batteries and chargers they recommend you almost never have any issues. Most of Traxxas's new line up is NiMH and Lipo compatible right out of the box, all you have to do is select which battery you're going to run and set the speed control on the car accordingly.

In short
Lipo = longer run time per charge with a similar charge time more cycles and faster R/C speeds.
MiMH = less cost shorter run time between charges less speed and more frequent replacement.

Lipos are a far superior battery in power and longevity, but you need to have a charger that is designed to charge lipo batteries. It is recommended to charge and store lipos in a special bag that is flame proof for safety reasons. On that note as long as you buy quality batteries and charger you'll likely never have an issue. When I bought my TRX4 I bought a pair of Traxxas lipo batteries and a Traxxas Multi charger. I could have gone a little cheaper but one thing I found is if you buy a Traxxas R/C and run the batteries and chargers they recommend you almost never have any issues. Most of Traxxas's new line up is NiMH and Lipo compatible right out of the box, all you have to do is select which battery you're going to run and set the speed control on the car accordingly.

In short
Lipo = longer run time per charge with a similar charge time more cycles and faster R/C speeds.
MiMH = less cost shorter run time between charges less speed and more frequent replacement.

Alright, so I bought the Traxxas charger that does both. No issues if I just go into the shop and say I want a couple of Lipo batteries for this thing? I just want the kid (and me) to be able to run the thing as long as possible without having to charge batteries.

Alright, so I bought the Traxxas charger that does both. No issues if I just go into the shop and say I want a couple of Lipo batteries for this thing? I just want the kid (and me) to be able to run the thing as long as possible without having to charge batteries.
Pretty much. You can also choose how big (1, 2, or 3 cell) lipo batteries you use. 1 cell is a little more power than your run of the mill Nimh. 2 cell is about 2 times the power, and 3 cell is insanely fast. (the 2 wheel drive version with the highest gear ratio can reach speeds of 70+. That being said you can also set the speed control to limit full throttle to (IIRC) 50% throttle for beginners.

Pretty much. You can also choose how big (1, 2, or 3 cell) lipo batteries you use. 1 cell is a little more power than your run of the mill Nimh. 2 cell is about 2 times the power, and 3 cell is insanely fast. (the 2 wheel drive version with the highest gear ratio can reach speeds of 70+. That being said you can also set the speed control to limit full throttle to (IIRC) 50% throttle for beginners.

Okay, so if I'm understanding it the cell count of the battery doesn't necessarily affect the speed if you set the controller to beginner or learning mode or whatever it is?

Okay, so if I'm understanding it the cell count of the battery doesn't necessarily affect the speed if you set the controller to beginner or learning mode or whatever it is?
50% is still 50% of the batteries full potential. I would suggest if you are looking at this as something for you and your boy to both play with, start out with a 1 and a 2 cell and select the 50% setting for him with the 1 cell. Oh and an added bonus is the 50% mode will also increase the over all run time.
I would suggest getting a hobby style infrared temperature reader just so you can monitor engine and battery temps.
Anything below 160 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit is fine when running. Anything above that temp could damage the motor.
LiPo's should never get warm at all during charging but during use they should be below 140 degrees at all times and not drained past 80% of their capacity (that is what the low voltage shut off setting is for).

50% is still 50% of the batteries full potential. I would suggest if you are looking at this as something for you and your boy to both play with, start out with a 1 and a 2 cell and select the 50% setting for him with the 1 cell. Oh and an added bonus is the 50% mode will also increase the over all run time.
I would suggest getting a hobby style infrared temperature reader just so you can monitor engine and battery temps.
Anything below 160 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit is fine when running. Anything above that temp could damage the motor.
LiPo's should never get warm at all during charging but during use they should be below 140 degrees at all times and not drained past 80% of their capacity (that is what the low voltage shut off setting is for).

Sweet. I have a laser thermometer, I'll keep an eye on it. You're the man.