Maybe the 1st AMC / Jeep Concept

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
1970 Show Car from AMC

I am quite familiar with this one. You cannot be a true AMC guy, and not be familiar with it. :)
Honestly the best concepts come from the other guy. Most of the big disasters were the result of the big three.

Should try for off topic successes/failures in North America. Nothing being off limits.

I'll start with the biggest success of the 1990s. The car which made aerodynamics main stream......

got to start with something I hate. There are many I love.

I'd pick the Eagle too, but this one out sold all the rest.

The Cherokee was a second in sales and definitely important, and the Eagle was a prediction of the future. But thanks to mismanagement, Peugeot killed the Eagle.

I'd call the Eagle the most important car of the 2010s. The prediction of the Outback. 30 years too early.

Last edited:
How about 1970s, kind of a void for me. I'd pick any econo box from the 1970s, but I have no idea which one made a difference. Likely an import. Just so many to pick from.

Maybe the Honda Civic....
I had 1 of these, plus a few Cortinas, a Celica and 3 Datsun 1200s. I still lust for a Capri 2.6.

Last edited:
Honestly the best concepts come from the other guy. Most of the big disasters were the result of the big three.

Should try for off topic successes/failures in North America. Nothing being off limits.

I'll start with the biggest success of the 1990s. The car which made aerodynamics main stream......

got to start with something I hate. There are many I love.

View attachment 78961
The very first time I saw a Mercury Sable/Ford Taurus wagon parked on the side of a busy street, I drove around the block three times to look at it. Loved the look of the wagon.

I'd pick the Eagle too, but this one out sold all the rest.

View attachment 78970

The Cherokee was a second in sales and definitely important, and the Eagle was a prediction of the future. But thanks to mismanagement, Peugeot killed the Eagle.

I'd call the Eagle the most important car of the 2010s. The prediction of the Outback. 30 years too early.
I'd agree with the Chrysler minivan being a huge influence on the automotive world (it was a variation of Chrysler's K-car platform, which is what saved Chrysler's ass, thanks to Lee Iacocca). As for the Eagle, I actually wrote a bit in the newsletter of the Rambler car club I belonged to on the very thing you mentioned. Yes, it was ahead of it's time, and yes, it did predate the Outback, by 14 years. The Eagle came out in 1980, and the Outback in '94. If only AMC could have been a stronger company, who knows what level of success they might have realized.

*Remember the Peugeot-built Eagle Premier? A truly forgettable vehicle, and yet I haven't forgotten. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
How about 1970s, kind of a void for me. I'd pick any econo box from the 1970s, but I have no idea which one made a difference. Likely an import. Just so many to pick from.

Maybe the Honda Civic....
I had 1 of these, plus a few Cortinas, a Celica and 3 Datsun 1200s. I still lust for a Capri 2.6.

View attachment 78973
If I had to pick one or two, I'd say the Datsun 240Z (Fairlady 240Z), and the Toyota Celica. I feel like they had a huge influence on the US market's future love affair with imports.

*On second thought, maybe it was the Toyota Hilux pickups? Hmmm. Like you said, too many to pick from.

Last edited:
I like Datsun 240Z
I had a girl friend that lets me drive her Datsun back then.
Very simple but a bit small and no room at the back seat :(

I like Datsun 240Z
I had a girl friend that lets me drive her Datsun back then.
Very simple but a bit small and no room at the back seat :(
My son wrecked my 83 280zx yesterday, fender bender . I’m Pretty Ill. Has 112,000 miles.

• Sad
Reactions: bedhed and Squatch