Mazda CX5 Owners

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
The wife is finally going to retire in June. We plan on taking road trips around the country. First trip is planed for late Aug to Yellowstone and then knock around Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and North Dakota for a few weeks.
I’m looking for a small SUV and the Mazda CX5 is the front runner because it is one of the few with a geared transmission. Any of you own one and how do you like it for long distance trips? I’m 6’ and it seems comfortable but test drives do not tell you anything about long distance comfort. I’ve narrowed it down to either the Touring or Grand Touring with AWD. Are there any issues with the Mazda turbos or AWD systems? Your input is appreciated.

The wife is finally going to retire in June. We plan on taking road trips around the country. First trip is planed for late Aug to Yellowstone and then knock around Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and North Dakota for a few weeks.
I’m looking for a small SUV and the Mazda CX5 is the front runner because it is one of the few with a geared transmission. Any of you own one and how do you like it for long distance trips? I’m 6’ and it seems comfortable but test drives do not tell you anything about long distance comfort. I’ve narrowed it down to either the Touring or Grand Touring with AWD. Are there any issues with the Mazda turbos or AWD systems? Your input is appreciated.
My sister inlaw owns one and loves it. She traded in a BMW X5 that was plagued with nothing but problem for it.
She has had it for several years and has racked up mileage on it. Aside from normal maintainence it's been good.

Thanks I’m cautious these days. I bought a 2019 Hyundai Sonata and it goes through 1 qt of oil every 1K miles @ 28K miles. Hyundai says it’s due to lack of oil changes. Oil was changed every 5K miles with Mobil1 and a Wix filter by me. It looks new and no smoke so I should get a little bit on trade. Hopefully the car availability will come back in the new year.

My advice. Find a rental car company that has one for rent (if you can) then rent it for a week. It would be the best way to find out if there are things that you really don't like about it. And if a 1 to 2 hour drive will cause you to have any fatigue.

Reactions: williambmac
I'm not looking for any SUV but I'm interested in finding out about the newest CX5. It's got to be considerably better than the 2013 CX5 we test drove when new. That thing felt underpowered and was the first car in a long time that sounded like a tin can as we shut the doors. That test drive was a real bummer considering the 7 yr old Mazda MPV we were going to trade in, still felt like the sports car of minivans.

Just did a brake job on the back on a Mazda 3. The pistons screw in, not press in like on our jeeps. In case you do your own work.

My advice. Find a rental car company that has one for rent (if you can) then rent it for a week. It would be the best way to find out if there are things that you really don't like about it. And if a 1 to 2 hour drive will cause you to have any fatigue.
I’ve been renting similar cars in the same class but have not been able to find a CX5. I’ll have to see if I can find one locally. I agree it’s worth the money to find out if it is comfortable in a long drive.

I see Budget offers them locally. I’ll see if I can rent one in Jan.

Last edited:
My parents have one and they seem to like it a lot. It definitely has a sportier/ tighter feel to it. At 6ft you should be fine, it does get tight with a rear facing car seat.

I had a 2015 Mazda 3 grand touring 6 speed and loved it. My only real complaint was road noise, but new tires really helped.

Reactions: bucky