Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

Well, she's under her own weight and driving now. Took her out for her maiden voyage and smooth as glass up to 70 mph. I'm pretty please with how the rebuild went. Took the opportunity to change out the stock rear brake line for a newer extended line.
20210404_175248.jpg
20210404_175301.jpg
20210404_173047.jpg
20210404_173051_HDR.jpg

Ok, with having to rebuild the rear end this past week I am running out of time to do some of the work I need to do before Moab in 2 weeks. So, while Highlift Off-road was doing my front axle seals under warranty, I asked them to do the PSC. They agreed and had to call Blaine to confirm some things about the install because I have an RJ44 which requires some mods to Blaine's kit.

While I have done all of my work the past 2 years since 4WP fucked up my stock Rubi lockers during a regear, I just don't have the time to do everything. I out my trust in Highlift and it appears they did an (EDIT: apparently not so) outstanding job with the install. (EDIT: apparently not so outstanding as they hacked up my cooler mount and install.) They modified the axle side brackets for the larger RJ axle and even fabbed a bracket to install the reservoir as close as possible with a very short feed line to the pump. See pics.

As I picked up and drove away, I thought to myself, "this rig has never driven this nicely." The steering feels tight, smooth, and the steering wheel has no movement when hitting imperfections in the road. I was impressed. He'll, I even have zero bump steer now. But,...

...precession is back. Hit a bump on the highway at 65mph and, boom, prewobble shimmy. Then a few miles later, boom again, but had to pull over and stop this time. Fuck! So, I took the side roads home at no more than 50mph. Didn't do it at all again. I'm baffled as it has never driven so refined. It feels like my wife's Genesis G80.

Don't even know where to start now. I haven't had a shimmy or wobble since last Fall. FML. Good thing I'm trailering it to Moab.
20210407_195244.jpg
20210407_195252.jpg
20210407_195304.jpg
20210407_195308.jpg
20210407_195329.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, with having to rebuild the rear end this past week I am running out of time to do some of the work I need to do before Moab in 2 weeks. So, while Highlift Off-road was doing my front axle seals under warranty, I asked them to do the PSC. They agreed and had to call Blaine to confirm some things about the install because I have an RJ44 which requires some mods to Blaine's kit.

While I have done all of my work the past 2 years since 4WP fucked up my stock Rubi lockers during a regear, I just don't have the time to do everything. I out my trust in Highlift and it appears they did an outstanding job with the install. They modified the axle side brackets for the larger RJ axle and even dabbed a bracket to install the reservoir as close as possible with a very short feed line to the pump. See pics.

As I picked up and drove away, I thought to myself, "this rig has never driven this nicely." The steering feels tight, smooth, and has no movement when hitting imperfections in the road. I was impressed. He'll, I even have zero bump steer now. But,...

...precession is back. Hit a bump on the highway at 65mph and, boom, prewobble shimmy. Then a few miles later, boom again, but had to pull over and stop this time. Fuck! So, I took the side roads home at no more than 50mph. Didn't do it at all again. I'm baffled as it has never driven so refined. It feels like my wife's Genesis G80.

Don't even know where to start now. I haven't had a shimmy or wobble since last Fall. FML. Good thing I'm trailering it to Moab. View attachment 241788View attachment 241789View attachment 241790View attachment 241791View attachment 241792
Can you show how they modded the axle mount. As soon as I can put power to my welder and plasma cutter this week I need to do the same.

While I have done all of my work the past 2 years since 4WP fucked up my stock Rubi lockers during a regear, I just don't have the time to do everything. I out my trust in Highlift and it appears they did an outstanding job with the install. They modified the axle side brackets for the larger RJ axle and even dabbed a bracket to install the reservoir as close as possible with a very short feed line to the pump. See pics.

As I picked up and drove away, I thought to myself, "this rig has never driven this nicely." The steering feels tight, smooth, and has no movement when hitting imperfections in the road. I was impressed. He'll, I even have zero bump steer now. But,...

Don't even know where to start now. I haven't had a shimmy or wobble since last Fall. FML. Good thing I'm trailering it to Moab. View attachment 241788View attachment 241789View attachment 241790View attachment 241791View attachment 241792
Make sure the lock tabs on the cooler mount are between the back of the V bar and the front of the mount. Basically once you put the tab in, the mount will not fall off with no other hardware installed.