Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

Reactions: Irun and Superjay5
Well, Michael informed me today that my hardcore bumper upgrade is going to take at least another week. 😔 So, I won't be installing it before Moab. Hopefully, I don't bang my bumper up too much.

Reactions: Wildman
Installed a ram mount on my A pillar for my Baofeng handheld. Pretty pleased with placement and access.
20210419_214649.jpg

Rotabroach came in today. I can't see doing it any other way now that I've used them.View attachment 245436View attachment 245438
I'm watching this progress. As soon as the mechanicals are done, the Savvy armor is next. Although I installed a previous set, it wasn't done the way it should have been. I'm looking forward to following this procedure. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: taylormade73
It's ridiculously easy. I was so glad when I installed the under tub slider bolts first and the side tub didn't line up until I jacked it up. I knew I had good preload at that point. View attachment 245455View attachment 245456View attachment 245457View attachment 245458View attachment 245459
That's another one of my designs that fully escapes the average person until they install a set and start to understand just how elegant the design is. Overbent by a couple of degrees so you can preload them. 1 degree bend just down from the top edge to compensate for wavy sheet metal and close up any gaps plus that makes the top edge of the backer behave and bow to my will, not the will of the sheet it was cut from. Ample small fasteners to spread the load out as much as possible across the sheet metal so point loading is minimal.

Yeah, I know, it is just a rock rail but I put an inordinate amount of thought into the design to solve all the problems I've seen over the years with rock rails.

Done with the backers. Glad I took the time to do them right and wait on the rotabroach. I adjusted them so many times on my first side the driver's side. When I got to the passenger side, it was easy to alternate back and forth between the clamps and the jack.

Waiting on the thick grip nutserts from Blaine to install the steel sliders. I love the fit on these. As long as they're available on the market, I won't run any other slider.
20210420_235255.jpg
20210420_235303.jpg
20210420_235311.jpg
20210420_235341.jpg
20210420_235350.jpg
20210420_235357.jpg

That's another one of my designs that fully escapes the average person until they install a set and start to understand just how elegant the design is. Overbent by a couple of degrees so you can preload them. 1 degree bend just down from the top edge to compensate for wavy sheet metal and close up any gaps plus that makes the top edge of the backer behave and bow to my will, not the will of the sheet it was cut from. Ample small fasteners to spread the load out as much as possible across the sheet metal so point loading is minimal.

Yeah, I know, it is just a rock rail but I put an inordinate amount of thought into the design to solve all the problems I've seen over the years with rock rails.
Taking the time to install them right, I recognize what you've put into this design and I appreciate it. Thank you for investing much critical thought, consideration and time in the TJ world. It is certainly a better place with you in it.

Looks good dude! Thanks for all the detail on the install, will help me speed up mine! Sounds like I should order a rotobroach bit!

Whats your plan on paint? Gonna leave the aluminum back raw? Or body match the paint?

Looks good dude! Thanks for all the detail on the install, will help me speed up mine! Sounds like I should order a rotobroach bit!

Whats your plan on paint? Gonna leave the aluminum back raw? Or body match the paint?
Welcome. Make sure you spend the most time on getting the preload right. It is the most important factor in the install. Rotabroach is a must have tool for easing install.

Aluminum backer is staying rae aluminum for now. I truck bed lined the steel slider part as I was in a rush leaving for Moab tonight.
20210421_120157.jpg

Reactions: DuncLJ and Wildman
Welcome. Make sure you spend the most time on getting the preload right. It is the most important factor in the install. Rotabroach is a must have tool for easing install.

Aluminum backer is staying rae aluminum for now. I truck bed lined the steel slider part as I was in a rush leaving for Moab tonight.View attachment 245602
Nothing like waiting till the last minute, eh?

Blaine's wide grip nutserts didn't make it in time today. So I had to take the backers off while loaded up on the trailer to install the steel sliders. Got them on though. Once we get everything packed up, we'll be headed out.
20210421_183809.jpg

That sucks, they left here Monday.
No worries. Didn't take long to remove the backers, install the sliders and reinstall as a unit. I did have to go get more serrated flange nuts though. Savvy didn't include enough. I think they look really good though.
20210421_183809.jpg