Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

I'm really liking the reinforcement on the corners. If you're able, I'd be interested in the total weight of the bumper, frame brackets, and hardcore upgrade. I'm guessing total it's under 20 pounds! 😍
I like it too because I let HK drive my rig more than I should. I think it also completes the look of my bumpers.

Sure, I'll get that for you later on this evening.

Reactions: Irun
Drilled and tapped.
20210817_190414.jpg
20210817_190334.jpg
20210817_190247.jpg

looks good.

as high and tight as the receiver is you could always taper off a piece of aluminum square tube and pin it in there if you ever needed more support.

Reactions: taylormade73
Got one side of the hard-core bumper upgrade almost done. The last fastener will be right on the weld. @mrblaine Should I just drill and thread a shallow hole, shorten the bolt and screw it in to keep the integrity of the weld at the corner?
Edit: or is a timesert a better option?
What was the reason to switch from the motobilt? Was it strictly based on weight? I’m considering both the motobilt and savvy, the lower weight would be nice but not a must for me so curious as to why the change.

What was the reason to switch from the motobilt? Was it strictly based on weight? I’m considering both the motobilt and savvy, the lower weight would be nice but not a must for me so curious as to why the change.
The Motobilt is a poor design for a couple reasons:

1. It mounts to the face of the crossmember with no wrapping above or below. Wrapping adds significant strength and protection to the rear crossmember/bumper area.

2. The receiver protrudes from the rear fairly significantly affecting my departure angle. I dragged it all over Moab.

Blaine noticed and commented on the poor design long ago when he asked me to post a photo of it from the side. I didn't understand what he meant at the time until I experienced it first hand. I didn't know what I didn't know. It looked good to me, so I left it until it started to matter to me this year.

Good to know. Such a shame for a beautiful piece of metal. Looks like I’ll probably join the Savvy gang now.
Yeah, once you start actually looking at stuff for function vs just aesthetics, you start to realize how much garbage is out there to bolt on to our jeeps. A lot of it is nice looking, but that comes at a cost with most of it.

Others will tell you better than me but looks like you need new BL, spicer recommended (if you can find them under COVID...)

Drag Link -> upgrade over replace, if finances allow ;)

Looks like you have a couple items to resolve as steps towards a solution.

Others will tell you better than me but looks like you need new BL, spicer recommended (if you can find them under COVID...)

Drag Link -> upgrade over replace, if finances allow ;)

Looks like you have a couple items to resolve as steps towards a solution.
Ball joints are Spicer and have only 10k miles on them, as the came with the RJ44 axle assembly.

The drag link is a Currie Currectlink.

• Wow
Reactions: tworley
@mrblaine helped me confirm my BJ are ok when I felt them as movable by hand while the axle was out and knuckles off. Hopefully he or others can give insight if that's normal movement.

Good call on the Currie if you can swing it!